by Peter Knegt
February 10, 2014 2:36 PM

2014 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress

"Blue Jasmine"

Indiewire will provide regular updates of our predictions for the 86th Academy Awards through March 2nd, when the winners are announced.

Cate Blanchett has been poised to take home this award since the day "Blue Jasmine" was released, and she's still holding on nicely after wins from SAG, the Critics Choice and the Golden Globes. Had Amy Adams not been nominated, it would basically be a 99.9% done deal. But Adams -- the only nominee here who hasn't won -- gives this race a slight chance at an upset... Especially given a vote for Blanchett might seem like a vote for Woody Allen in light of the recent controversy facing the director. Though we're definitely not betting on it.

Nominees and predictions below. Check out all predictions in all the categories here.

The nominees:
Amy Adams in “American Hustle”
Cate Blanchett in “Blue Jasmine”
Sandra Bullock in “Gravity”
Judi Dench in “Philomena”
Meryl Streep in “August: Osage County”

Will win: Cate Blanchett in “Blue Jasmine”
Could win: Amy Adams in “American Hustle”
Should win: Cate Blanchett in “Blue Jasmine”
Shoulda been here: Julie Delpy in "Before Midnight"

Check out all predictions in all the categories here.

Sign up HERE for Indiewire's Awards Season newsletter and receive a twice-weekly email roundup of our awards stories, hand-picked by our editors from across the Indiewire Network, plus additional coverage in the final run up to the Oscars.

• Lorelai | March 9, 2014 10:51 PMReply

Cate's performance was great, but Meryl was amazing. She should have won.

• Ozzy | March 3, 2014 9:58 AMReply

I have been following Cate Blanchett since the '90s and could not be happier for her well deserved win. Cate was robbed of what should have been her FIRST OSCAR in 1999 for her UNRIVALED performance as the young Queen Elizabeth I in Shekhar Kapur’s 1998 film Elizabeth." GO CATE!!!! AND, I am a HUGE fan of ALL the nominees! I love them all equally in their own right.

• Sue | March 1, 2014 10:01 PMReply

MERYL, MERYL, MERYL......no one in the world can match her talent, compassion, dedication to her work and her fellow man!!!!!!

• ZAEEM | February 27, 2014 1:51 PMReply

People ,, why you hate sandra bullock ??

• Zaeem | February 28, 2014 11:43 AM

Actually, before I loved Cate Blanchett.
    But I started hating her when she nominated with the beautiful sandra bullock .

• Anna | February 27, 2014 2:10 PM

Just because people don't believe she gave the best performance, doesn't mean they hate her. She wasn't the best. She's lovely, I personally like her, but the award is about acting. I believe that Blanchett was on a league of her own this year and she absolutely deserves the Oscar more than anyone.
    You on the other hand need to chill out a bit and stop hating Cate Blanchett.

• Chara | February 27, 2014 1:31 PMReply

Cate Blanchett should win. No other performance comes even close to hers, she was mind-blowing. The layers of emotion she unfolded in Blue Jasmine should be taught in acting schools. Blanchett took a huge risk with this role, had she done anything more or less it could have ended in an exaggerated or flat performance. Yet, she perfectly balanced on a thin rope, 1000 feet above ground, without safety net and made it to the other side, making it look so natural as if she walked on the red carpet.
    Second best performance was that of Judi Dench but still in no way close to that of Blanchett's. Dench, as well as Bullock and Adams had the characters' story lines on their favour, their characters were likeable from the beginning, unlike Blanchett who managed to make you care about what happened to someone you would normally say "who gives a shit", which is what Meryl failed to do with her character.
    Bullock perhaps deserved the nomination for the effort but lets face it, it was purely choreographed, any well disciplined actress could have done what she did but her emotional range was very limited (still better than Adams though).
    Amy Adams shouldn't have been nominated in the first place for this film. Jennifer Lawrence wipes her off screen the minute she walks in the film (a really bad film in general, I would have fallen asleep if it wasn't for Lawrence). It should have been either Julie Delpy in her place (I agree with the author of the article on that) or Emma Thompson.

• Pedro | March 2, 2014 12:32 AM

Smart words! I would replace Amy Adams for Adele Exarchopoulos who gave a HUGE performance in Blue Is The Warmest Color. For me Adele and Cate Blanchett were in the same league this year. Due the controversy of her film Adele didn't get nominations in major awards, but she definetely is deserving and thank God she is an unprecedent, Palm D'or Winner actress, that speaks for itself.
    But even if she was a nominee, Cate is more deserving of the awards in my opinion.

• KH | February 27, 2014 10:57 AMReply

Oprah Winfrey SHOULD definitely have been among the Best Actress nominees. The absence of ANY nominations for "The Butler" is a travesty. I guess only ONE Black film can be nominated in a year, heh????

• Rose | March 2, 2014 8:56 AM

Well, racial equality works both ways, and so black films won't and shouldn't automatically make the Oscars because they are black films.

I'm also pretty sure that after everyone saw "12 Years a Slave" it made "The Butler" look all the more poorly-made. Oprah's performance in particular was not very good, far too stiff in some scenes and over-the-top in others. Forest Whitaker's performance was the only thing I remotely enjoyed about "The Butler."

• Pedro | February 27, 2014 12:28 AMReply

Cate Blanchett's performance in Blue Jasmine is just mindblowing and her victory will be very deserved. Daniel Day-Lewis giving an Oscar to her will be epic.

• Chara | February 27, 2014 1:31 PM

I couldn't agree more.

• Andrea | February 25, 2014 7:25 AMReply

I saw Blue Jasmine, Gravity, and American Hustle, and I can honestly say I think Sandra Bullock definitely should win. I have no idea why everyone is praising Cate Blanchett when her performance in it was average to me. However, I do think it takes an hell of an actress to keep the audience engaged throughout the entire movie, especially when 80% of it was her and her only, and that to me is Sandra Bullock.

• Lisa | March 3, 2014 6:17 PM

I totally agree Andrea! I saw both Blue Jasmine and Gravity and I am telling you I DO NOT UNDERSTAND how Cate won this Oscar!!!! Sandra was totally ROBBED! Cate was a hyper, slobbering mess with a weird American accent, Sandra was a one woman show (like someone else mentioned) kept it together and delivered an amazing performance. The Academy loves the Brits and Aussies for sure, I just don't get this.

• gagafan | February 24, 2014 5:13 PMReply

I too had to yank my jaw off the floor, in boredom.... please, please, this is NOT Oscar material

• eva | February 24, 2014 5:13 PMReply

Meryl Streep is the best actress in the world, she's just incredible and amazing in the movie " August: Osage County ", she must win ! I support her

• angeeold | February 24, 2014 3:06 PMReply

Haven't seen all of the other movies, but at the end of Blue Jasmine I had to yank my jaw up off the floor. Her performance left me speechless. Would love to see her win.

• Edward J. Cunningham | February 22, 2014 2:27 PMReply

I haven't seen "Blue Jasmine", so I can't judge Cate Blanchett's performance, but if Academy voters have actually seen "Gravity", I would not count Sandra Bullock out of the race. One more thing that should not matter, because it isn't Cate Blanchett's fault, but it's possible she could lose some votes over the latest allegations about Woody Allen from Dylan Farrell.

• Man Of Gold | February 19, 2014 9:17 PMReply

Cate Blanchett shouldn't be nominated because I saw her in blue jasmine, and I think her performance is normal and very boring.
    Actually she doesn't deserve this OSCAR at all.

• Green | February 17, 2014 8:18 AMReply

It's disgusting how all these posts reek of hate for Amy Adams. Sure, she's younger compared to the rest of the nominees and got her big break through movies like "Enchanted," but she's still an incredibly talented actress with four previous Oscar nominations for fantastic films. I agree that Emma Thompson was completely robbed of a nomination, but if any of the nominees should have been passed over, it would be Sandra Bullock. While I really think Cate deserves the win, Amy has just as much a right to be there as veterans like Meryl Streep and Judi Dench.

• ZAEEM | February 17, 2014 11:57 AM

Sandra bullock is the best .
    You r an idiot .

• Hugo | February 16, 2014 9:08 AMReply

Shoulda been here: Emma Thompson, for Saving Mr. Banks

• CJ | February 21, 2014 12:16 PM

ZAEEM; a few things.
    Sandra Bullock is overrated, all she did was a lot of hyperventilating.
    Green knows how to write a complete sentence, complete words, and capitalize the proper noun names of actresses he thinks are the best.
    Go home, you're drunk.

• Zaeem | February 15, 2014 12:27 PMReply

Will win : Amy adamd
    Could win : Cate blanchett (I hope not)
    Should win: Sandra Bullock.
    Thats all .

• hep | February 24, 2014 11:59 PM

sandra bullock is actually one of te worst actresses and the reasons why she's bad because she keep chosing bad movies with big payments.

sandra bullock performance in gravity is great but still the least in the nominees.
    adele exarchopoulos, emma thomson, brie larson did better deserves more the nomination.

• June | February 17, 2014 4:43 PM

Sandra Bullock's nomination was by far the least deserved, and the "will win" and "should win" can only go to Cate Blanchett. That's all.

• MEEAZ | February 17, 2014 3:54 PM

Well mate, get ready to be more disappointed because Cate Blanchett is definitely now going to walk away with this year's Oscar awards for Best Actress especially after she won every major award along with the BAFTA as of late....cause if she doesn't, then i will all but lose all my faith in the Oscar Awards!! Btw, i also think that Cate's lovely too.

• M | February 16, 2014 5:33 AM

What is even your problem with Cate? Because she's not as "lovely" as Sandra Bullock? This is not about personality (shouldn't be) but performance, and out of the two, Blanchett gave the better performance.

• Zaeem | February 15, 2014 9:01 AMReply

Please no oscar for cate Blanchett.
    I hope the oscar goes to sandra bullock.
    Sandra is more lovely than cate .
    Middle East loves her so much.

• emma | February 13, 2014 5:54 PMReply

Cate Blanchett gives the year's best performance PLUS she's overdue for a Best Actress Oscar. Nobody comes close.

• Chara | February 27, 2014 1:35 PM

Exactly. Also, The Academy already stole it from her once when they gave it to Gwyneth Paltrow (still shaking my head over this... Paltrow? Really?). If they do this again, especially this year after that phenomenal performance, it'll be ridiculous.

• Pedro | February 13, 2014 5:00 PMReply

Cate Blanchett is so, SO great actress! Is sad to that see some people in this thread can't recognize that this is her time. Her performance in Blue Jasmine is mindblowing, how many emotions did you felt for Jasmine? Could you even feel something for that character if it was portrayed by a ordinary actress? Let's have good sense and praise the beautiful, talented and long-deserving of a Best Actress Oscar: Queen Cate Blanchett.

• Pedro | February 15, 2014 1:15 PM

I think Adele should've been nominated in Amy Adams's place. But we're talking about the Academy.
    Well, I respect your opinion, and I have seen clips from Blue Jasmine again, but with a vision like yours, looking for a phony and overacted performance. But everytime I do this, I dive into Jasmine's dramas, I believe in absolutely everything that is on screen, and it's due to the AMAZING talent of this beautiful aussie named Cate Blanchett.

• Denny J | February 14, 2014 5:47 PM

"Let's have good sense..............?" All our opinions are subjective. Blanchett should have won for Elizabeth but was robbed by Paltrow's mediocre performance in Shakespeare in Love. Sadly, this has happened too many times with these awards. That being said, Blanchett will probably win this year. 99% of the world agrees with you but I do not. I thought Blue Jasmine was boring. If anything, I thought the supporting cast with the exception of Alec Baldwin were far better than Ms. Cate. Talk about stagey and overblown, that was pure phoney baloney. Who talks like that? Had she won the Oscar when she deserved it, I doubt she would even be in the running this year. Julia Delpy, Adele E., Brie Larsen, Paulina Garcia all gave far better performances than "Queen Cate". Sorry!

• Victor | February 13, 2014 3:15 PMReply

i don't know why people think amy adams has a chance, she doesn't, the best performance by an actress this year was cate blachett theres no doubt about that, if she doesn't win it will be the biggest bullshit in the history of the academy. the oscars it's not about how many times you've been nominated it's about the best performances of the year and amy doesn't fit into that criteria, her performance was good, not great, probably the worst out of the five.

• BEN | February 13, 2014 6:31 PM

Well, I think that Amy Adams performance was REALLY good, I liked her a lot in American Hustle (I think her acting was the best in this movie), but I can't understand why everyone thinks she might has a chance neither. She just won the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy/Musical - and that isn't a precursor for the Oscar at all as the Best Actress in a Musical/Comedy category wasn't very competitive (The only one who could have won was Meryl with an exaggerated over-the-top-performance (IMO))
    Cate won almost everything. The Academy would lose all credibility by giving the award to someone else

• Pedro | February 13, 2014 4:56 PM

Completely agreed! I'm a big fan of Amy Adams, but 2013 - with a monumental performance by Adele Exarchopoulos - and they choose to nominate Amy Adams for being sexy?!

• Hkaz | February 13, 2014 11:47 AMReply

Amy Adams have been nominated 5 times, I mean I think it her time but Cate performance looks really good also Sandra too. It's hard but this category I was expecting more like Emma Thompson. Some actors were snubbed a lot this year, surprised me the most was the unexpected ones...

Personally, Amy Adams has a chance of winning but Cate taking all the awards this season so you never know!

• Jay | February 13, 2014 10:51 AMReply

Blanchett should win. No doubt about it. Best actress of her generation. And in my opinion, she shouldn't be snubbed because of the controversy facing Woody. She didnt do anything wrong.

• Minhyuk | February 12, 2014 7:32 AMReply

This category is not hard to predict but we don't know what will happen, this battle is for the 5 woman in this category, all of them has a chance to win.. and Cate Blanchette has the biggest chance of them all but look what happen when she portrayed as a queen in the Movie Elizabeth which she won the Golden Globes and Bafta but she did'nt win the Oscars for best actress.
    Amy Adams has also a big chance of winning but cate is a little bit higher chance then her but she also won several awards for best actress like Golden Globes.
    Sandra Bullock has also a chance of winning but many people said that she should not win this time because she had an undeserving oscar when she won best actress for The Blind Side.
    Meryl Streep has also a chance of winning,, but for me, she deserve to win this time, but many people said that her acting was not her greatest performance, but she is Meryl Streep,, she can win all the time wth her 3 wins and 18 nominations.
    Judi Dench has the least chance but we don't know, she is a dark horse in this race, I Love The performance of Judi, Simple but wonderful.

• MTN | February 10, 2014 6:42 PMReply

Sandra Bullock really should win the Oscar. "Gravity" is a one woman show. Cate will win.
    Amy is nothing special in a sea of ensemble work. Emma Thompson should have her nomination.
    I really wish there was room for an upset in the Best Actress race. Sandra should be that upset.
    Hopefully "Gravity" and Alfonso Cuaron will take Best Picture and Best Director along with all the various technical awards.

• suleiman | February 10, 2014 2:17 PMReply

Blanchettt truly deserves this oscar.i think that brie larson's role in short term 12 was snubbed because if jlaw was the actress that portrayed her character she would have been nominated. And last year's oscar should have gone to emmanuelle riva or jessica chastain

• Jay | February 13, 2014 10:48 AM

I couldn't agree with you more

• Pato | February 10, 2014 9:12 AMReply

Cate Blanchett or Meryl Streep? Bien por Cate, pero Meryl Streep... Que interpretacion! te llega a los huesos!!!

• Denny J | February 9, 2014 1:03 PMReply

Will win: Cate Blanchett
    Should win: Meryl Streep
    Should not be here: Amy Adams & Sandra Bullock
    Should be here: Brie Larsen & Paulina Garcia
    Dark horse: Judi Dench

• Minhyuk | February 8, 2014 8:54 PMReply

Will Win: Cate Blanchette (Blue Jasmine) or Amy Adams (American Hustle)
    Should Win: Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)
    Should not be here: Sandra Bullock (Gravity)
    Should be here: Emma Thompson (Saving Mr. Banks
    Dark Horse: Judi Dench (Philomena)

• ShirZ | February 18, 2014 12:25 AM

Couldn't Agree more. Cate will definitely win, Meryl SHOULD win hands down. Her performance in August was one of her best yet. Emma Should have been here 100%, I was shocked when she wasn't nominated. But I think Amy Shouldn't have been here. Her performance was good, but not great.

• jean | February 6, 2014 5:10 PMReply

I really hope Cate Blanchett wins. I hate how she's been dragged into the Woody Allen mess. She has nothing to do with it. Hopefully the academy will realise that too and reward her an Oscar for arguably the greatest performance in the past couple of years. I hope voters won't award someone simply because they've been nominated several times in previous years.

• Sabrina | February 7, 2014 1:39 PM

I completely agree with you, Cate deserves it all the way
    And I think it really would be a joke if Amy won (I mean sorry, I think she deserves a nomination but she wasn't nominated for SAG or the Critics Choice for best actress, she just won the Critics Choice and Golden Globe for Best Comedy Actress and she didn't win anything else why Blanchett won all the major awards like SAG, Golden Globe, Critics Choice, New York Film Critics Awards, LA Film Critics Award...)
    Sorry but there's no contender for Cate as Thompson and Exarchoupolos aren't nominated (I love Streep, but that was one of her worst roles, totally overacted; Bullock should never win another Oscar for her pathetic win; Judi deserves a nomination, but I don't think that was an Oscar-winning role)

• Nicholas Guy | February 6, 2014 6:52 AMReply

Amy is staying on the avenue Glen Close, Sandra is getting overlooked for winning recently, Meryl should win but she should have won quite a few years she did not, Cate will get lost in all the Allen nonsense and so Judi will win.

• Jung | January 30, 2014 9:12 AMReply

The amazing performance of Meryl Streep in August: Osage County is by far the best. I don't think any of the current nominees will disagree.

• Mirko | January 29, 2014 4:08 PMReply

This year, I not see the Oscars: Emma Thompson is sont in nomination. It's scandal.

• Pedro | January 29, 2014 12:58 PMReply

Queen Cate Blanchett for Best Actress in 2014.

• Jay | January 28, 2014 1:13 PMReply

Cate Blanchett is finally going to get her second oscar. WHOOOOO!!!

• Steve W | January 26, 2014 7:30 PMReply

The academy has already robbed Cate once (Gwynneth Paltrow for Shakespeare in love instead of Cate in Elizabeth ?????) - they can't afford to do it again without seriously damaging the credibility of the awards. Cate's work in Blue Jasmine was epic.

• IVAN | January 30, 2014 8:19 AM

Oh- are you sure that they can't do what ever they want to? When you're mentioning Sheakespeare in love- that average movie won best picture (and not Saving private Ryan or Life is beautiful), the same thing happened with Chicago (instead of Pianist) or back in 70's Francis Ford Coppola didn't get Oscar for his all-time masterpiece The Godfather (Bob Fosse did for Cabaret). Don't be surprised if Amy Adams get Oscar this year.

• Joyce | January 26, 2014 5:41 PMReply

AMY ADAMS all the way. She is always incredible!

• SHIRZ | January 26, 2014 5:04 AMReply

So, I'm pretty sure Cate will win this one, but let's not forget that this award show is about the acting. Yes, Cate was incredible in Blue Jasmine, but has anyone seen August: Osage County? I mean are you seriously going to overlook Meryl Streeps performance? Who cares if she just won an oscar recently? Whatever happened to winning an oscar because you deserve it more then anyone else? You deserve it because the acting was better. And thats what Streep does, especially in AOC. Sandra was great, but really not oscar worthy, Amy comes no where in my opinion, near any of these contestants in general, and her nomination should have hands down gone to Emma Thompson, and Judi is a long-shot. Meryl is better then each one of these women on levels that are shockingly high. And you need to understand that it's about the acting, not about who has a better campaign. And Meryl clearly dominates the better acting in this category. Meryl was insane, I couldn't believe my eyes seeing what she did on screen, what she became. This was hands down one of Meryls best performances, and she's not getting the fair attention she deserves for it. It's horrible what these award shows have become into. It's about the acting and nothing else, and clearly Meryl wins when it comes to that, especially in AOC.

• Tom | February 12, 2014 10:33 PM

Well you guys can be rest assured that Meryl won't win, cause i think this is definitely Cate Blanchett's year, especially if its about the acting!!!!

• Janice | February 10, 2014 3:55 PM

I sure hope you are right I walked away from that movie thinking that is without the best acting I have seen in a very long time. Meryl Streep's performance was flawless, she is truly amazing.

• Dee Blyth | February 1, 2014 7:41 PM

Couldn't have said it any better!!

• Ivan | January 29, 2014 3:20 AM

Movie is awful, but Meryl and Julia Roberts were amazing. Maybe the best Meryl since The deer hunter. Amy shouldn't go in the same sentence with her and Cate. Her role is good, but Meryl and Cate were brilliant

• AJ | January 28, 2014 3:51 PM

Meryl Streep's performance was one of the best performance I have ever seen. Cate was phenomenal as well, but if anything, It's between Meryl and Cate and I think Meryl did a better job. Hands down.

• Gain | January 28, 2014 8:32 AM

I've seen AOC,and I wasn't impressed by Meryl's performance.Julia Roberts stole the show imo.
    Cate is gonna win and she's by far the strongest of the bunch,that's all

• Joe Balestri | January 27, 2014 1:44 PM

You are spot on with your comments on Streep. She was soo good she scared me. By far the best of the bunch. But unfortunately the award is not always given to the best performance. Blanchett is very good but not quite at the Streep level. The other three were levels below.

• Janice Davis | January 25, 2014 10:15 PMReply

Cate should have won for playing the sequel of the Queen Elizabeth movie 2007, as best actress, but I believe that she will pull through on this Oscar of lead actress. She's won before for playing Kate Hepburn in The Aviator, as best supporting actress, and did great. Looks like another Oscar for Cate 2014.

• Arran | January 24, 2014 10:42 AMReply

Will win: Cate Blanchett in “Blue Jasmine”
    Could win: Judi Dench in “Philomena” (You never know. Uncle Harvey is unpredictable sometimes)
    Should win: Cate Blanchett in “Blue Jasmine”
    Shoulda been here: Emma Thompson in "Saving Mr. Banks"

I can't believe how some people are really rooting for Sandra. Seriously? Her facial expressions in Gravity weren't all-out. No wonder she's not the first choice for the role. I can easily understand why Cuaron tapped Natalie Portman first, she's effortless in panic(with loud gasping) scenes. Too bad she ditched Gravity for Terrence Malick. She would've been in this list, not Sandra.

• EPJ234 | January 24, 2014 1:38 AMReply

We all know Cate Blanchett is already clutching the Oscar in her gorgeous, milky-white hands.

• foxcatcher | January 21, 2014 6:34 PMReply

Sandra Bullock should win!

She still has a chance, I think!

• MTN | January 20, 2014 5:02 PMReply

Shocked Amy Adams beat out Emma Thompson for an Oscar nom. She seemed more supporting than lead, but I am not surprised she is nominated. Amy is a self described movie role "hoarder." She will be in (and is in) every film possible. I don't think she will go away until she does finally win an Oscar. I really have never seen any actress force herself on audiences and awards voters as much as she does. Crazy. Cate Blanchett "will win"...sadly. Sandra Bullock "should win." Sandra was the heartbeat of "Gravity," and practically the ONLY actor in the film. She carried it all the way with amazing physicality and gave a great performance working in complete isolation. Oh, and "Gravity" was kind of a hit too. An amazing mix of thrill ride, art house film and dazzling cinematic skill.

• Green | January 31, 2014 10:41 PM

There's no problem with "hoarding" movie roles-that has been the system in Hollywood long before Amy Adams was famous. If she is guilty of "hoarding" big parts, as you believe, then so is every other nominee on this list, as well as all every other brilliant actress that was passed over.

• Juli | January 28, 2014 10:56 PM

I don't think Amy Adams "hoards" movie roles. I think she didn't start working until she was 30, so now that she can work, she is. Sandra Bullock has been in quite a few movies lately too. I wasn't blown away by Sandra's performance in "Gravity" and I actually found the movie boring at times. I think Amy deserves the nomination. She pulled off a very complex character in "American Hustle" that many actresses couldn't. I couldn't take my eyes off of her.

• Wendolene Ramsbottom | January 20, 2014 4:09 PMReply

I certainly agree that Cate Blanchett is deserving, but surprisingly, I didn't care for "Blue Jasmine" as much as I thought I would. Greta Gerwig's performance was awfully good, too

• Brett | January 15, 2014 4:55 PMReply

If the Academy decided to give the other major awards (like this one) 10 nominees my picks would be:
    Cate Blanchett

CATE BLANCHETT
    ADELE EXARCHOPOULOS
    BRIE LARSON
    AMY ADAMS
    JULIE DEPLY

• Sam | January 14, 2014 2:37 PMReply

Please give Adele Exarchopoulos a chance, she deserves to be nominated.

• NICK | January 14, 2014 10:31 PM

I AGREE... I WILL CRY IF ADELE DOESN'T GET A NOMINATION.... I just adore her performance... For me, her performance was the best female acting of 2013...and she's the real contender for Blanchett.

• Ariel | January 13, 2014 10:36 PMReply

The nominees
    Amy Adams - "American Hustle"
    Cate Blanchett - "Blue Jasmine"
    Sandra Bullock - "Gravity"
    Judi Dench - "Philomena"
    Emma Thompson - "Saving Mr. Banks"

Will Win: Cate Blanchett - "Blue Jasmine"
    Could Win: Sandra Bullock - "Gravity"
    Should Win: Cate Blanchett - "Blue Jasmine"

• Dylan | January 13, 2014 7:17 PMReply

My Nominations (Best Actress in a Leading Role):
    Amy Adams - AMERICAN HUSTLE
    Cate Blanchett - BLUE JASMINE
    Emma Thompson - SAVING MR. BANKS (I haven't seen the film yet, but from the trailers I have seen for it, she looks absolutely amazing in it.)
    Sandra Bullock - GRAVITY
    Waad Mohammed - WADJDA

• LEXI | January 13, 2014 4:08 PMReply

I think the race would be this.
    Amy Adams - American Hustle
    Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine
    Sandra Bullock - Gravity
    Judi Dench - Philomena
    Adele Exarchopoulos - Blue is the Warmest Colour.

• Dan | January 13, 2014 7:46 AMReply

Really it should be:

Amy Adams - American Hustle
    Adele Exarchopoulos - Blue is the Warmest Color
    Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine
    Judi Dench - Philomena
    Emma Thompson - Saving Mr Banks

And most deserving would probably be Cate or Adele, but I'd just love love love to see Amy Adams win an Oscar because its likely to be 5 times nominated, no wins for her.

• Pedro | January 13, 2014 10:27 AM

I'm a big fan of Amy Adams, but in my opinion her performance in American Hustle is not worthy of an Academy Award nomination.
    My current predictions:
    1 - Cate Blanchett (winner)
    2 - Adele Exarchopoulos (barely impossible)/Sandra Bullock
    3 - Emma Thompson
    4 - Judi Dench
    5 - Meryl Streep/Amy Adams

Every year, oscars makes a serious snub, i hope them to snub Sandra Bullock.

• minions | January 12, 2014 12:54 AMReply

I HOPE THE NOMINEES WOULD BE:
    1. MERYL STREEP - AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY
    2. AMY ADAMS - AMERICAN HUSTLE
    3. CATE BLANCETTE - BLUE JASMONE
    4. EMMA THOMPSON - SAVING MR. BANKS
    5. JUDI DENCH PHILOMENA

SANDRA'S PERFORMANCE WAS GOOD, BUT NOT AN OSCARS WORTHY, AND I DON'T THINK ADELE WOULD NIT BE NOMINATED BCOZ THE FILM HAS SEXUAL EXPLICIT CONTENT..

I THINK THE COMPETITION IS BETWEEN CATE, MERYL and EMMA. while JUDI AND AMY are the DARK HORSES.. WELL, IT'S YEAR OF THE HORSE.

• Brett | January 11, 2014 10:01 PMReply

How come a lot of people are perfectly fine with Jack Nicholson getting a lot of nods and wins, yet they're highly against Meryl getting so much attention? Hypocrites

• Pedro | January 11, 2014 10:07 PM

Take it easy! Meryl has just won an Oscar, give her some time. This is Cate Blanchett's time, period.

• BIJOU | January 11, 2014 2:36 PMReply

ADELE EXARCHOPOULOS for Best Actress nomination. I know she won't win, but I want her to be recognized. Her performance in 'Blue' was just raw, heartbreaking, powerful and the best female performance I've seen this year; and I'm so affected by her emotional intensity. For me, the best actress of 2013 cinema is Adele. Pls. Academy

• jahan | January 11, 2014 2:23 PMReply

Blanchett deserves to win her oscar, I always thought she should have won her fisrt oscar for her portrayal of Elizabeth the first. Although I also really loved Bullocks performance. Extremely moving and touching. She deserves all the praise she has received for her work in the movie but Blanchett's performance was epic and her second oscar is long overdue

• Mirko | January 11, 2014 8:45 AMReply

Nomination best actress: Adams, Blanchett, Bullock, Dench and Thompson.

• Brett | January 11, 2014 5:11 AMReply

I really want Meryl Streep to win but it's probably gonna go to Cate

• Freddie | January 11, 2014 1:24 PM

Kind of like to see Meryl win her fourth oscar and tie Katharine Hepburn but I also want Cate to win she deserves it Meryl can get it later.

• Mexicano | January 11, 2014 11:09 AM

Brett, where were you? A Christamas break? We missed your comments...

• Brett | January 11, 2014 6:32 AM

Meryl was just so good in August though, she really was great

• Matt | January 11, 2014 6:10 AM

Meryl has enough Oscars already. Cate deserves the Best Actress award this time.

• ashley | January 10, 2014 4:10 AMReply

I just want Adele to be nominated....

• Anthony D. | January 9, 2014 11:34 PMReply

Sandra Bullock
    Judi Dench
    Emma Thompson
    Cate Blanchett
    Meryl Streep

This is a category where the nominees are locked for sure but the winner is not so clear. My guess would be Blanchett (but that could just be me wanting her to win, which I do).

• JD | January 9, 2014 11:02 PMReply

Emma Thompson is a lock. This is not a comment on who deserves the award the most. However, all of the buzz is on her. She has been nominated for just about every major award, and won the National Board of Reviews. In fact, if the Oscar doesn't go to Blanchett, I am almost positive it will go to Thompson.
    Really, Thompson and Bullock should switch places on the list because while Bullock has a very good chance of being nominated, I don't really feel that she has enough buzz to be a lock.

• Mirko | January 10, 2014 2:01 PM

I am agree. Thompson is fantastic

• 3 | January 9, 2014 9:46 PMReply