Here's our take on the best director category. It looks like the race could feature an impressive mix of renowned filmmakers, including previous winners Martin Scorsese, Woody Allen and Joel & Ethan Coen alongside a slew of folks who have never won: David O. Russell, Alfonso Cuarón, Paul Greengrass and Steve McQueen. Based on what's already screened, it would take a lot of as-yet-unseen competition to knock Cuarón and McQueen out of serious contention (and it's hard to imagine someone other than them winning, but then again.. it's still October).
Best director predictions below. Check out all predictions in all the categories here.
Less Certain, But Looking Pretty Good as Well:
3. Paul Greengrass, Captain Phillips
4. Martin Scorsese, The Wolf of Wall Street
5. Alexander Payne, Nebraska
Could Definitely Move Up:
6. David O. Russell, American Hustle
7. Joel & Ethan Coen, Inside Llewyn Davis
8. Spike Jonze, Her
9. John Lee Hancock, Saving Mr. Banks
10. Woody Allen, Blue Jasmine
11. Lee Daniels, Lee Daniels' The Butler
12. John Wells, August: Osage County
13. JC Chandor, All Is Lost
14. Ryan Coogler, Fruitvale Station
15. Peter Berg, Lone Survivor
Check out all predictions in all the categories here.Sign up HERE for Indiewire's Awards Season newsletter and receive a twice-weekly email roundup of our awards stories, hand-picked by our editors from across the Indiewire Network, plus additional coverage in the final run up to the Oscars.