Indiewire will provide updates of our predictions for the 86th Academy Award nominations through January 16th, 2014, when the nominations are announced.
The documentary feature shortlist is out. And that has effectively narrowed the race down to 15 contenders. From them, critical and commercial hits "20 Feet From Stardom," "Blackfish" and "Stories We Tell" are looking very good for nominations, but you never know in this historically unpredictable category. Penn & Teller could be an unusual fixture in the race with their festival hit "Tim's Vermeer," while critical darlings "The Act of Killing," "The Square" and "Cutie and the Boxer" have very good shots as well.
Best documentary feature predictions below, based on the noted 15 film shortlist that was released December 2nd. Check out all predictions in all the categories here.
Strong Bets (Though Nothing Is Ever a Lock In This Category):
1. "20 Feet from Stardom," Gil Friesen Productions and Tremolo Productions
2. "The Act of Killing," Final Cut for Real
3. "Stories We Tell," National Film Board of Canada
4. "Blackfish," Our Turn Productions
5. "Tim’s Vermeer," High Delft Pictures
6. "The Square," Noujaim Films and Maktube Productions
7. "Cutie and the Boxer," Ex Lion Tamer and Cine Mosaic
8. "The Crash Reel," KP Rides Again
9. "God Loves Uganda," Full Credit Productions
Longer Shots, But Anythings Possible Here:
10. "First Cousin Once Removed," Experiments in Time, Light & Motion
11. "Dirty Wars," Civic Bakery
12. "Which Way Is the Front Line from Here? The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington," Tripoli Street
13. "The Armstrong Lie," The Kennedy/Marshall Company
14. "Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer," Roast Beef Productions
15. "Life According to Sam," Fine Films
Check out all predictions in all the categories here.