Indiewire will provide updates of our predictions for the 86th Academy Award nominations through January 16th, 2014, when the nominations are announced.
Here's our take on the best original score race. Like basically half of all categories, "12
Years a Slave" (Hans Zimmer, also a possibility for "Rush") and "Gravity" (Steven Price) seem like near sure things , while Randy Newman's score for "Monster's University" seems like a predictable bet to join them. Beyond that? There's "Saving Mr. Banks" (Thomas Newman) and "The Book Thief" (John Williams, in a rare instance of him working outside of Spielberg/Lucas ville), among many others...
Best original score predictions below. Check out all predictions in all the categories here.Strong Possibilities From What We've Seen:
3. Randy Newman, Monster's University
4. Steven Price, Gravity
Could Easily Be Major Contenders:
5. Henry Jackman, Captain Phillips
6. John Williams, The Book Thief
7. Hans Zimmer, Rush
8. Mark Orton, Nebraska
9. Alexandre Desplat, Philomena
Longer Shots, But Who Knows:
10. Howard Shore, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
11. Theodore Shapiro, The Secret Life of Malter Mitty
12. The Arcade Fire, Her
13. Carter Burwell, August: Osage County
14. Rodrigo Leão, Lee Daniels' The Butler
15. Dickon Hinchliffe, Out of the Furnace
Check out all predictions in all the categories here.Sign up HERE for Indiewire's Awards Season newsletter and receive a twice-weekly email roundup of our awards stories, hand-picked by our editors from across the Indiewire Network, plus additional coverage in the final run up to the Oscars.