by Peter Knegt
February 9, 2014 10:28 PM

2014 Oscar Predictions: Best Original Song

Indiewire will provide regular updates of our predictions for the 86th Academy Awards through March 2nd, when the winners are announced.

Featuring -- only to have it taken back -- the weirdest Oscar nomination yet not Oscar nomination of all time in "Alone Yet Not Alone" from the movie of the same name that almost nobody had ever heard of, this year's best original song race is now down to just four. "Frozen" tune "Let It Go" seems like the frontrunner among them, but pretty much anything could take it.

Nominees and predictions below. Check out all predictions in all the categories here.

The nominees:
“Happy” from “Despicable Me 2”
Music and Lyric by Pharrell Williams
“Let It Go” from “Frozen”
Music and Lyric by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
“The Moon Song” from “Her”
Music by Karen O; Lyric by Karen O and Spike Jonze
“Ordinary Love” from “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom”
Music by Paul Hewson, Dave Evans, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen; Lyric by Paul Hewson

Will win: “Let It Go” from “Frozen”
Could win: “Ordinary Love” from “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom”
Should win: “The Moon Song” from “Her”
Shoulda been here: "Young and Beautiful" from "The Great Gatsby"

Check out all predictions in all the categories here.

Sign up HERE for Indiewire's Awards Season newsletter and receive a twice-weekly email roundup of our awards stories, hand-picked by our editors from across the Indiewire Network, plus additional coverage in the final run up to the Oscars.

• Brenda | March 8, 2014 8:01 AMReply

Shoulda been here Young and Beautiful- I agree

• watch9 | March 1, 2014 5:25 PMReply

Let it Go HAS TO WIN. It deserves it. Best original song in years. The others don't even come close to the same level of emotion that it gives.

• Pei | February 26, 2014 7:25 PMReply

"Let it Go" should win. Golden Globe already recognize that subpar Mandela movie and there is no reason to give U2 another consolation prize. Idina earned her keep and she exposed many to broadway with "Let it Go".

• Executioner | February 25, 2014 2:54 PMReply

U2 will win it,Mandela's long walk to freedom has been ignored by the Oscars surprising the least they could do is honour the greatest band in the world with their amazing tribute to him.

• Nefira | February 23, 2014 4:16 PMReply

I am rooting for "Let it Go". I sing it almost all the time! If it doesn't win I'll be shocked

• Natalie | February 16, 2014 12:02 AMReply

"Let it go" should win, dont see any contest to it, views alone it has more than all the nominees combined. If it doesn't win it would be as bad as saving private ryan not winning the oscar for best picture.

• Bruce | February 16, 2014 11:28 PM

Totally agreed

• Reb | February 12, 2014 3:52 AMReply

To the contestants and the Board of Governors of the Oscars
    You should have allowed "Alone yet not alone" to stay and be judged.
    The composition of that song was worthy of your competition,
    No song should be banned because of its religious content
    Your merits are no greater than that of their right to competetion
    The originality of your song is no greater than one not compared
    You should protest to the Board of Governors about this unfairness.
    You should refuse to participate when such actions are taken.
    You should pay attention to the many postings against this action.
    You should pay attention to the many postings against the Oscars
    You should try to reform the Oscars to become a meaningful contest.

• Brianna | February 14, 2014 12:02 PM

It wasn't about any of that.

The song's composer, also a member on the board of music representatives, sent emails lobbying other music representatives to vote for the song DURING the voting period. This was a clear violation of the rules, and he knew that. The nomination for the song was therefore removed in order to provide a level playing field for the other nominees.

Learn the details of a situation before you go around repeating what other idiots have told happened. The removal of the nomination had nothing whatsoever to do with its religious content, and you're now just going around making a whole big thing out of nothing.

• HMS | February 14, 2014 1:27 AM

The song was removed because they broke Academy rules and pretty much cheated.

• Alvie | February 9, 2014 3:36 AMReply

Say what you will, but Ordinary Love by U2 is more melodious or meaningful than either of the nominees.

• MINYUK | February 8, 2014 9:21 PMReply

Will Win: Let It Go
    Should Win: Let It Go or Happy
    Dark Horse ; Alone Yet Not Alone

PS: Alone Yet Not Alone is a great song ;-)

• Batts | February 5, 2014 8:55 AMReply

Let it go will certainly win.
    But for me, Her`s "Moon song" is more beautiful and it really touched me when I watched the film.
    And Young and Beautiful should have been nominated. (the only problem is that the song doesn`t exactly fit its movie.)

• Humor | January 30, 2014 11:03 AMReply

Which version of "Let it Go"? The one in the movie or the version sung at the credits?

• Bruce | February 1, 2014 9:33 AM

The one that Idina singing, the one that the songwriters wrote for the film.

• kami | January 30, 2014 5:59 AMReply

I love the moon song but oscar will definitely goes to ordinary love. I mean this is great homage to mandela plus U2 never won a single oscar yet. Now its there time.

• Sadie | February 7, 2014 11:40 PM

I don't think "overdue" means the same thing in this category. It's not like U2 work mostly on film, so if they never win an Oscar, it won't be an outrage like, say, Leonardo Di Caprio not winning an Oscar. I believe "Let it go" is the actual frontrunner here. It's swept all the critics awards. U2 winning the Globe means nothing; after all they're suckers for starpower, which Robert and Kristen Lopez don't have.
    And yes, I love "The moon song" too :)

• M | January 30, 2014 5:28 AMReply

It would be absolutely amazing to see Karen O win an Oscar. Please let it happen!

• Rebekah | January 29, 2014 7:04 PMReply

“Alone Yet Not Alone” is no longer a nominee.

• Natalie | January 27, 2014 3:27 AMReply

Let It Go should definitely win hands down, it's an absolutely wonderful song. Makes me emotional every time I listen to it!

• Alan | January 25, 2014 12:14 AMReply

The should win and could win should've included "Let It Go"

• mohamed | January 19, 2014 4:04 PMReply

i can't believe ( i see fire ( didn't get the nomination . this is so stupid

• Bruce | January 15, 2014 11:44 AMReply

My favourite is: 1-Let it Go (Frozen)
    my others favourites:
    2-Young and Beautiful (The Great Gatsby)
    3-Atlas(The Hunger Games: Catching Fire)
    the others songs that I think would be nominees
    4-Ordinary Love (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom)
    5-The Moon Song (Her)

• Liam | January 14, 2014 1:42 PMReply

I See Fire by Ed Sheeran for The Hobbit: DoS. It is so emotional and visceral. You can picture the Lonely Mountain, Lake Town, and Dale in your head. So good.

• Dylan | January 13, 2014 8:41 PMReply

My Nominations (Best Original Song):
    "The Moon Song" (HER) - Karen O
    "Young & Beautiful" (THE GREAT GATSBY) - Lana Del Ray
    "For The First Time In Forever" (FROZEN) - Robert Lopez & Kristen Anderson-Lopez
    "Let It Go" (FROZEN) - Robert Lopez & Kristen Anderson-Lopez
    "Please Mr. Kennedy" (INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS) - Ed Rush, George Cromarty, T Bone Burnett,
    Justin Timberlake, Joel Coen, and Ethan Coen

• marlie | January 12, 2014 11:23 PMReply

I see fire is one of the most beautiful original song ever and Ed Sheeran is talented singer and song - writer. Finger crossed. On thursday we'll find out if the academy has as good Music taste as a year ago.

• Emmanuel | January 12, 2014 10:19 PMReply

For me, Let it Go. Runned up: I See Fire. Third, Ordinary Love. Fourth, Atlas. Fifth, Young and Beautiful. I need to hear "So You Know What It's Like".

• Kansas | January 11, 2014 4:50 PMReply

I think Coldplay's Atlas has a pretty good chance of getting nominated, especially so if Lana Del Rey doesn't make the cut. I See Fire is a fantastic song that should be nominated but will most likely be looked over. Let It Go is a total lock for a nom and a win, and rightfully so.

• Jeff | January 7, 2014 5:05 AMReply

My picks would be:

1. "I See Fire" (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug)
    2. "Amen" (All Is Lost)
    3. "Ordinary Love" (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom)
    4."The Moon Song" (Her)
    5. "M83" (Oblivion)

I also like "Atlas" and "Happy". I can't get into "Let It Go" - I think it's forgettable and overrated.

• CJ | January 6, 2014 9:30 PMReply

"I See Fire" is an incredibly beautiful song, and so perfect for The Hobbit, and it deserves an Oscar nod! Please Academy!

• Dan | December 31, 2013 12:45 PMReply

DOBY!!!!

• Anthony D. | January 9, 2014 11:50 PM

Yes. In a perfect world, Will Ferrell not only wins for this, he performs it at the ceremony over an actual shark tank.

• Alex | December 30, 2013 5:51 PMReply

i really hope lana del rey at least gets nominated for young and beautiful. she got nominated for a grammy for it and i believe also a critics choice award. she was snubbed by the golden gloves though. it was easily the best song in the movie and one of the best this year.

• Brett | December 28, 2013 8:04 PMReply

Where's Please Mr. Kennedy from Inside Llewyn Davis? Also, Justin Timberlake is one of the writers of the song, could be his first Oscar nod

• NewYorkGuy | December 28, 2013 12:07 PMReply

1. Let it Go (Frozen)
    2. Young and Beautiful (The Great Gastby)
    3. Please Mr Kennedy (Inside Llewyn Davis)
    4. Ordinary Love (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom)
    5. Atlas (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire)
    ------------------------------------------------------
    6. I See Fire (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey)
    7. Sweeter Than Fiction (One Chance)
    8. Happy (Despicable Me 2)
    9. The Moon Song (Her)
    10. Amen (All is Lost)

• Cheney | December 26, 2013 7:30 PMReply

Oblivion - M83 needs to be here! Phenomenal song

• Dagmar | March 3, 2014 2:11 PM

Agreed 100%! Oblivion was an incredible song and movie! I saw it 20 times. Why is Tom Cruise always overlooked? Is it jealousy or resentment? He consistently provides the world with quality entertaining movies, annually, and is the highest paid actor of all time.

• Kris | December 22, 2013 4:48 PMReply

Why "Almost Home" from Oz the Great and Powerful is not here?????

• YAHIA | December 20, 2013 11:55 AMReply

Ordinary love by U2 'cause its a great love and human song and for the great man Mandela

• Bard | December 19, 2013 7:24 AMReply

Would be quite fun if 'Let It Go' would win.
    Others will be I See Fire, Ordinary Love, The Moon Song and maybe Young & Beautiful if they allow it.

• eomachine | December 18, 2013 10:05 PMReply

Give it to Ed Sheeran. I See Fire is incredible.

• kami | December 17, 2013 3:10 PMReply

Let It Go song have a same boring animated tune that win already. Song start very well but then it go tooooooooo theatrical. I wish oscar look forward to see what a real grammy winning artists made a really strong lyrical song that carry that film. Also i feel let it go song is just a part of that film as the other songs really tell the whole story of a film into a one song. so here are my prediction

1. "Please Mr. Kennedy" (Inside Llywen Davis)
    2. "Young & Beautiful" (The Great Gatsby)
    3. "My Lord Sunshine (Sunrise)" (12 Years a Slave)
    4. "Ordinary Love" (Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom)
    5. "The Moon Song" (Her)
    6. "Amen" (All Is Lost)
    7. "So You Know What It's Like" (Short Term 12)
    8. "Last Mile Home" (August: Osage County)

• SillyKami | December 23, 2013 2:51 AM

How about you fix your grammar honey

• Ariel | December 17, 2013 12:46 PMReply

Will Win: Let It Go (Frozen)
    Could Win: None
    Should Win: Let It Go (Frozen)

• Edward | January 6, 2014 11:41 PM

Yes! Yes! Amen!!

• tom | December 12, 2013 7:05 PMReply

Younger Every Day - 3 Geezers!

• nelson | December 10, 2013 4:29 PMReply

Oblivion by m83 featuring Susanne Sundfør should be on the list =(

• Bruce | December 10, 2013 3:09 AMReply

Might be too bold to say but the Oscar belongs to "Let It Go". The Academy let Brave won this year (Strong female character ),this song has the same trait I didn't see any reason to speculate. This will be a make up to Mary J. Blige "The Living Proof" if the song wins

• Anne | December 9, 2013 10:59 PMReply

why Almost Home" from Oz the Great and Powerful is not here???????????????

• anthony | December 7, 2013 10:00 PMReply

"i see fire" deserves to win and better at least be nominated

• Bob | December 5, 2013 5:14 PMReply

Lana all the way!!! Still habe to see Frozen but...Great Gatsby Young and Beatiful is actually one of my favorite songs of the year, if not the favorite!!

• John Kreczko | December 4, 2013 12:02 PMReply

"For the First Time in Forever" from Frozen isn't being considered?!

• ??? | December 25, 2013 1:13 AM

"For the First Time in Forever" is definitely much better than a lot of the songs in the shortlist but "Let it Go" is the clear winner here. It deserves it. The reason "For the First Time in Forever" wasn't considered is that Disney had only submitted one song and that is "Let it Go."

• william | December 3, 2013 11:42 PMReply

No Voice Like Gladys and such a beautiful song by Lenny Kravitz. this combination along with such a unbelievable movie is a def. no brainer

• JD | December 2, 2013 7:39 PMReply

It will be ironic if "Young & Beautiful" wins because overall the music from The Great Gatsby was awful and ruined the movie for me. It was way to modern and did not belong in a movie set in the roaring 20s. "$100 Bill" might not be a bad song, but it is completely out of place in the film and should not even be considered. "Young & Beautiful" is a pretty good song, and it deserves a nomination, but "Let it Go" is so much better. While it doesn't deserve to win, I think "For the First Time in Forever" deserves a nomination.

• Sadie | January 9, 2014 9:02 PM

I agree with JD and Turtle. I loved the music in that film. My boyfriend complained too about the anachronistic music but seriously, this is a Baz Luhrmann film. This and the theathricallity are his signatures. It's like complaining about the violence in a Tarantino movie. It just comes with the territory. That being said, I understand that Luhrmann is kind of an acquired taste.

• JD | January 2, 2014 6:41 PM

I don't know what you mean, turtle. Everybody I talked to about the movie said that they were put off by the music because it fell out of place. Most of the people that wanted to see the movie were expecting the 20s to be in it, and 20s music would not have been to0 foreign, and instead expected.

• name | December 23, 2013 10:42 PM

I mean down here

• name²³ | December 23, 2013 10:40 PM

I couldnt agree more with the comment above

• Turtle | December 11, 2013 4:02 AM

Really? The music was perfect for the film. It was not a documentary about the 20s but about specific emotions and a story. The music helped pull the audience into those emotions. 20s music would have been too foreign to the audience and would not have created the party emotion the film wanted the audience to feel.

• Mark | December 1, 2013 7:36 PMReply

The Oscar practically belongs to Frozen for this category.

• name | December 23, 2013 10:41 PM

I mean down here

• kendall | November 30, 2013 10:36 AMReply

I don't know but I think Young and Beautiful gonna win. The others nominees could be ''Let it Go'', ''Almost Home'', ''Atlas'' and ''I See Fire''.

• Matthew | November 29, 2013 3:33 AMReply

Lana Del Rey <3

• Bruno | November 25, 2013 2:13 PMReply

"Atlas" (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Coldplay)
    "Young & Beautiful" (The Great Gatsby)
    "Amen" (All Is Lost, Alex Ebert)
    "So You Know What It's Like" (Short Term 12 - Keith Stanfield)
    "In The Middle of the Night" (Lee Daniels' The Butler, Fantastia Barrino)

• Duane | November 25, 2013 1:24 AMReply

SERIOUSLY OVER THE LOVE FROM GREAT GATSBY ISN'T ON HERE? LIKE 100 BILL IS ON THERE BEFORE OVER THE LOVE? COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS

• Sadie | January 9, 2014 9:07 PM

Not just that, Over the love's lyrics actually relate to the movie. Lana's lyric "the way you played for me at your show" always throws me off. But this category is the hardest one to predict, there are too many choices and anything can happen. I'm still rooting for my girl Flo.

• Palmurcio | December 12, 2013 2:15 AM

100% agree, Over the Love not only was the best song of the movie, way the best song of the year played in a movie, it deserves the Oscar

• Eddy | November 24, 2013 3:48 PMReply

I believe that Frozen by Demi Lovato gonna be win this oscar

• ??? | December 25, 2013 1:23 AM

It's neither. The award goes to the writers of the song which are Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez. The song was written for and originally performed by Idina Menzel in the movie while Demi Lovato covered it during the film's credits. The version sung and performed by Idina Menzel is the song that's being considered for awards season. I hope Let it Go wins though.

• Mike | December 10, 2013 1:40 PM

You also meant to say by Idina Menzel

• Eddy | November 24, 2013 3:51 PM

I mean: Let It Go

• Jose | November 23, 2013 5:33 PMReply

What about "Almost Home" from Oz the Great and Powerful?

• laut | November 23, 2013 2:39 PMReply

"Young & Beautiful" (The Great Gatsby)
    "Atlas" (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Coldplay)
    "Let It Go" (Frozen, Robert Lopez & Kristen Anderson-Lopez)
    "So You Know What It's Like" (Short Term 12 - Keith Stanfield)
    The Moon Song" (Her, Karen O)

(We Remain, Elastic Heart and Over the Love should be there)

• Jack | November 21, 2013 4:09 PMReply

Amen will be nominated, it's one of the most beautiful emotional songs I've heard.

• Hudsucker | November 21, 2013 12:11 AMReply

Really hope Amen by Alex Ebert gets a nom. That song was fantastic.

• Brett | November 19, 2013 5:29 PMReply

What about Fare Thee Well from Inside Llewyn Davis

• joe | November 19, 2013 4:51 PMReply

Natasha Khan and Jon Hopkins's Garden's Heart from How I live Now is a really beautiful song and deserves a nomination.

• AintNoOtherFan | November 19, 2013 12:14 PMReply

You forgot to mention Christina Aguilera's "We Remain", it is a possible candidate to get nominated and hopefully win an oscar!

• Jason | November 19, 2013 7:03 AMReply

If Frozen wins, Robert Lopez will have EGOTted. Being a fan of 'Avenue Q' and 'Book of Mormon', I will definitely be rooting for him.

• Mark | November 27, 2013 11:26 AM

Never mind my other comment. Disney's "For Your Consideration" website was misleading in how they were crediting people for the song.

• Mark | November 27, 2013 11:21 AM

I actually think his wife Kristin and Christophe Beck are those credited for "Let It Go." I don't believe Robert actually wrote the song.

• MXLH | November 18, 2013 9:39 PMReply

I'm dying to see if Ms Del Rey will won this award. I've been waiting a while for you to release your predictions for this category, and what a pleasant surprise when i saw that you put my favorite original song in it.

PS. You wrote Rey wrong, it's Rey not Ray.

• Steven Ball | November 18, 2013 8:22 PMReply

The soundtrack for The Great Gatsby is the best in many years. Jay-Z was the executive musical director & should get credit for putting the whole thing together.

• tom landry | November 18, 2013 6:00 PMReply

You missed Younger Every Day from a hilarious movie 3 Geezers

• Nadia | November 18, 2013 1:43 PMReply

Hope Young&Beautiful will win such a great magical song.
    And "In my humble opinion" there can be more songs to make the list like:
    Over the love
    Kill and run. Both from he great Gatsby
    Lean. From the hunger games

• Don't sleep | November 18, 2013 1:14 PMReply

There are totally like five original songs (in a row) at the end of Sound City, with the likes of Reznor, McCartney, Nicks... don't sleep on 'em.

• dan | November 18, 2013 1:00 PMReply

Wait what about the Please Mr Kennedy song from Inside Llewyn Davis???

• HARRY LIME | November 18, 2013 12:05 PMReply

I know none of them are original, but I feel like the fact that the Academy won't acknowledge any of the music from Inside Llewyn Davis is beyond insane.

• Miriam | December 16, 2013 10:17 PM

Why IS Please Mr. Kennedy excluded? Almost all the songs from Inside Llewyn Davis' (extremely excellent) soundtrack were old folk songs, but Please Mr. Kennedy is an original song written for the film. Worth noting that the film's titular character thinks the song is crap and only records it because he's broke :P

• MXLH | November 18, 2013 9:41 PM

They are all original songs, they've been written for the these specific movies.