by Peter Knegt
February 9, 2014 10:24 PM

2014 Oscar Predictions: Best Production Design

"The Great Gatsby" Warner Bros.

Indiewire will provide regular updates of our predictions for the 86th Academy Awards through March 2nd, when the winners are announced.

Here's our take on the best production design, which seems like "The Great Gatsby"'s to lose... But will they really want to give it to the only film here not nominated for best picture? Should actually make for a pretty tight race, with really any of these 5 nominees standing a shot at the win.

Nominees and predictions below. Check out all predictions in all the categories here.

The nominees:
“Gravity” Production Design: Andy Nicholson; Set Decoration: Rosie Goodwin and Joanne Woollard
“Her” Production Design: K.K. Barrett; Set Decoration: Gene Serdena
“12 Years a Slave” Production Design: Adam Stockhausen; Set Decoration: Alice Baker

Will win: “The Great Gatsby” Production Design: Catherine Martin; Set Decoration: Beverley Dunn
Could win: “American Hustle” Production Design: Judy Becker; Set Decoration: Heather Loeffler
Should win: “Her” Production Design: K.K. Barrett; Set Decoration: Gene Serdena
Shoulda been here: "Inside Llewyn Davis"

Check out all predictions in all the categories here.

Sign up HERE for Indiewire's Awards Season newsletter and receive a twice-weekly email roundup of our awards stories, hand-picked by our editors from across the Indiewire Network, plus additional coverage in the final run up to the Oscars.

• BOO | February 17, 2014 9:40 PMReply

American Hustle would not fit in at ALL with the other winners in this category. I think that Gravity or 12 Years A Slave could be potential upsets if they don't like Gatsby, though Gatsby will probably win.

• Brett | January 16, 2014 5:06 PMReply

American Hustle is my favorite movie of the year but I'll admit that I didn't the production design was fascinating, it looked all normal like real life, I would've replaced that with Saving Mr. Banks or Thor 2

• Brett | January 16, 2014 5:07 PM

Sorry I meant Hobbit 2

• Dylan | January 13, 2014 7:59 PMReply

My Nominations (Best Production Design):
    Beth Mickle - ONLY GOD FORGIVES
    Darren Gilford - OBLIVION
    Dan Hennah & Ra Vincent - THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG
    Jeff Mann & Regina Graves - THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY
    K.K. Barrett & Gene Serdena - HER

• Mirko | January 10, 2014 2:03 PMReply

I hope Saving Mr Banks.

• FilmFan | December 29, 2013 1:17 AMReply

Do flowers count as production design they were lovely through 12 year slave strong contender for Gatsby (like costumes).

• Bard | December 19, 2013 7:18 AMReply

I didn't care for The Great Gatsby, but I think it's going to win.
    Other nominees: 12 Years a Slave, The Hobbit, Saving Mr. Banks and Oz

• JD | December 2, 2013 7:48 PMReply

The art direction was one of the worst things about Gatsby. It was way too colorful at times and way too dull at other times.

• JD | January 2, 2014 6:53 PM

I know all about using colorfulness and dullness to tell a story. However, it works best when it is subtle. In Gatsby, it was overdone and it distracted from the story. I love the book, and I think DiCaprio was amazing in it. However, I feel that the overdone color and lack of it really took away from it.

• Turtle | December 11, 2013 4:12 AM

Maybe you missed the point of the film. It was suppose to tell a story of emotion not a documentary of the time. It's a film telling a story much like an author of a book describes a scene either colorful or gloomy so does a film to create emotion.

• brüno | November 23, 2013 2:49 PMReply

Catherine Martin & Beverly Dunn, The Great Gatsby
    Jess Gonchor & Susan Bode, Inside Llewyn Davis
    Robert Stromberg & Nancy Haigh, Oz: The Great and Powerful
    Michael Corenblith & Lauren E. Polizzi, Saving Mr. Banks
    James D. Bissell & Bernhard Henrich, The Monuments Men

• Gene of Aquitaine | November 26, 2013 12:56 PM

@LAUT Lauren Poilizzi was the Art Director on Saving Mr Banks, Susan Benjamin was the Set Decorator on the film and would receive the nomination with Mr Corenbltih

• Q_Q | October 21, 2013 12:46 PMReply

If there was a good thing about Oz, it was the production design, I think it should be higher, but I also believe there's no way 12 years… doesn't win this one.

• The Brady Critic | October 14, 2013 1:09 PMReply

Who will win: the great Gatsby

might win: 12 years of slave

should win: the great Gatsby

• Giamboni | October 13, 2013 4:37 PMReply

Winner: Saving Mr Banks.

• M | October 8, 2013 8:45 PMReply

Yeah I can see 'Twelve' winning this

• Mirko | September 15, 2013 3:48 PMReply

E agree nomination for art direction of Saving Mr Banks. But strong contender is Thomas Newman, composer of original score. I believe her victory after eleven nominations.

• amaryllis | September 15, 2013 1:40 PMReply

like Wendy implied I am dazzled that some people can make $9867 in four weeks on the internet. websites ........... http://x.co/2M6Nr