by Peter Knegt
February 9, 2014 10:26 PM

2014 Oscar Predictions: Best Sound Editing

"Captain Phillips"

Indiewire will provide regular updates of our predictions for the 86th Academy Awards through March 2nd, when the winners are announced.

Definitely "Gravity"'s to lose, with "Captain Phillips" having a very slight chance at stealing things.

Nominees and predictions below. Check out all predictions in all the categories here.

The nominees:
“All Is Lost” Steve Boeddeker and Richard Hymns
“Captain Phillips” Oliver Tarney
“Gravity” Glenn Freemantle
“The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” Brent Burge
“Lone Survivor” Wylie Stateman

Will win: “Gravity” Glenn Freemantle
Could win: “Captain Phillips” Oliver Tarney
Should win:“Gravity” Glenn Freemantle

Check out all predictions in all the categories here.

Sign up HERE for Indiewire's Awards Season newsletter and receive a twice-weekly email roundup of our awards stories, hand-picked by our editors from across the Indiewire Network, plus additional coverage in the final run up to the Oscars.

• Laurie Clark | January 17, 2014 12:13 AMReply

There is a rumor that Lone survivor got a sound editing oscar nomination . Thought this movie missed the cut by a day. Mark wahlberg should have definitely been in the best supporting actor category.

• Dylan | January 13, 2014 9:28 PMReply

My Nominations (Best Sound Editing):
    FROZEN
    GRAVITY
    ONLY GOD FORGIVES
    PACIFIC RIM
    RUSH (I haven't seen the film yet, but from the trailers I've seen, the sound editing on the racing scenes sound spectacularly put-together.)

• David | January 4, 2014 11:15 PMReply

Oblivion drone's sound were very good!

• Michael | January 3, 2014 9:54 PMReply

I think Frozen should get a mention here. A very cohesive, well-put together soundscape. The mix, I'm not too sure about, but the editing for sure is very good.

I haven't seen Walter Mitty, but I would've imagined it to be here as well, with it's semi-fantastical content.

• Ricardo | December 29, 2013 9:12 AMReply

Gravity is a game changer in terms of sound in film and the academy recognises this. It has a very rich soundtrack. I love the way that they made the sound disappear and appear acording to oxigen levels. Sound plays a big role in this film. You can feel and hear the sound travel inside the spacesuits wich is just fantastic and realistic.

• FilmFan | December 29, 2013 1:25 AMReply

gravity really no sound in space idiot stole the cinematography not this as well

• Rob | December 28, 2013 1:14 PMReply

I think Rush is the lock here. Gravity will not be nominated because this award is for sound made in studio, like sound of explosions, shots, animals, etc, there is no sound in space the whole time. Gravity will be nominated only in sound mixing, I hope Man of Steel receives a nomination here, because it was snubbed in best visual effects.

• voodoorodent | December 25, 2013 12:39 AMReply

Oblivion all the way.

• Bard | December 19, 2013 7:31 AMReply

All is Lost, Pacific Rim, Oblivion and The Hobbit are going to lose against Gravity I would say.

• Brittany | November 21, 2013 4:16 PMReply

Every auditory aspect of Rush was awesome. I hope it gets recognition either for sound editing, music or score.