by Peter Knegt
February 16, 2014 5:50 PM

2014 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Indiewire will provide regular updates of our predictions for the 86th Academy Awards through March 2nd, when the winners are announced.

First time Oscar nominee Jared Leto has essentially won every single precursor, making him perhaps the surest bet on Oscar night as far as the acting categories go. Adbi won the BAFTA, but Leto (or Hill for that matter) wasn't even nominated. So anyone beating him would be a pretty big shocker.

Nominees and predictions below. Check out all predictions in all the categories here.

The nominees:
Barkhad Abdi in “Captain Phillips”
Bradley Cooper in “American Hustle”
Michael Fassbender in “12 Years a Slave”
Jonah Hill in “The Wolf of Wall Street”
Jared Leto in “Dallas Buyers Club”

Will win: Jared Leto in “Dallas Buyers Club”
Could win: Barkhad Abdi in “Captain Phillips”
Should win: Michael Fassbender in “12 Years a Slave”
Shoulda been here: James Franco, "Spring Breakers"

Check out all predictions in all the categories here.

Sign up HERE for Indiewire's Awards Season newsletter and receive a twice-weekly email roundup of our awards stories, hand-picked by our editors from across the Indiewire Network, plus additional coverage in the final run up to the Oscars.

• asashii | March 3, 2014 3:22 PMReply

james franco playing a wigger, yeah I don't think so piss poor Harmony Korine movie, Boring!!!!

• fernando meibak | February 28, 2014 1:57 PMReply

Jeremy Renner should be here...

• Schoff | February 28, 2014 12:32 PMReply

Jonah Hill is going to win.

• Riga | February 22, 2014 10:20 PMReply

Fassbender should definitely win. A brilliant performance. That's not meant to be a knock on the others, but they simply aren't in the same league.

• Scott | February 21, 2014 1:21 AMReply

James Franco should have been nominated. Hands down.

• Joe H. | February 18, 2014 2:33 PMReply

Hell yeah Fassbender deserves it!

• Hkaz | February 13, 2014 12:26 PMReply

Jared Leto got snubbed by BAFTA but trust he won more great awards so stop the fussing.

• Hkaz | February 13, 2014 12:24 PMReply

This was a hardest category, all great actors that has done well. Bradley and Jonah, COMEDY actors now nominated shows how crazy cool the Academy is. You don't see this in a lifetime, and they did really good. Jared Leto have a chance of winning, I mean look at him stealing the awards this year. Proud over here, and Michael I see a chance.... Barkhad, as everyone says ''I'm the Caption, Now'' you sure are because I have a tiny spark of hope there

• Jay | February 13, 2014 10:46 AMReply

Michael Fassbender was brilliant. He made me hate his guts. Leto was also spectacular so either one of them would suit me fine. But I would definitely prefer if Fassbender won.

• Korana | February 11, 2014 1:01 PMReply

Jared Leto. Great acting!

• Nate | February 10, 2014 11:39 PMReply

Hahah James Franco would've been unreal!! "Look at all my shit!" Pretty bad movie though but Franco is my boy!

• Green | February 10, 2014 9:22 PMReply

I'm really excited about this category this year (since it's usually the most predictable of the acting prizes)! I agree with most people here that Jared Leto will probably be the lucky winner on Oscar night, but in my opinion it should go to Michael Fassbender. Both of these actors are great, but Fassbender definitely gave the better performance this time around in "12 Years a Slave."

• Pato | February 10, 2014 9:22 AMReply

Jared Leto, Jared Leto, Jared Leto

• Ricrdo | February 8, 2014 9:40 AMReply

Jared Letto by a mile. His acting was superb and incredible.

• Klamentyne | February 8, 2014 4:51 AMReply

what exactly are Jonah Hill & Bradley Cooper doing here!
    Letos' performance was very strong & i understand he probably will/should win. but i'm all for Michael Fassbender. i can't even begin to describe how impressive his performance was!

• Michael A | February 5, 2014 7:47 AMReply

I really don't see why people wanted James Franco to be here. His performance in "Spring Breakers" was absolutely awful, as was the entire film! He definitely did not deserve to even be considered in this race.

The actor who should have been here was definitely Daniel Bruhl. As much as I like Jonah Hill, he should not have got the nomination.

On another note, the BAFTA's gave a best supporting actor nomination to Matt Damon instead of Jared Leto. Really? Damon's role isn't even a supporting one, it's a leading role. That and Leto's performance was better.

• Gain | January 31, 2014 1:08 PMReply

I hope Fassy would pull off a Juliette Binoche win this year.Lauren Bacall won basically every precursor that year while Binoche only won a BAFTA(which is most likely to go to Fass at this state,since Leto wasn't even nominated for a BAFTA),then Binoche surprised everybody,including herself,at Oscar night.I'd like to see that happen AGAIN this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh and the situation is kinda the same this year,12 Years a Slave is the top contender currently,just like The English Patient in 1996!

• Ivan | January 29, 2014 3:25 AMReply

Although I really like Dallas Buyers Club, I think it is a bit overrated. It is not a 2013 movie which I will remember most in 10 years, also roles of McConaughey and Leto are not so epic (but they are still very good) as it seems when you see their awards and nominations. Fassbender on the other hand was really really impressive and should win. Abdi is a nice suprise and deserves to be here, and I'm also glad that two funny roles where awarded with noms.

• Jay | January 28, 2014 1:16 PMReply

Rayon is definitely an oscar-bait kind of character but Leto was very impressive. I wanted the award to go to Fassbender but that's not going to happen. Still hoping though!

• Lionel Anderson | January 26, 2014 12:11 AMReply

Jared Leto = Overrated

Should win : Fassbender or Cooper
    Should be here : Daniel Bruhl

• Janice Davis | January 25, 2014 9:05 PMReply

Bradley is the best as winner, and so thereon and therefore, I would pick Bradley. Last year, he lost to Daniel (Day-Lewis) in best actor, so this time, he would pull through on best supporting actor. That's my pick for 2014 winner.

• Kevin | January 26, 2014 12:09 AM

I agree 100%. Bradley Cooper definitely had the best performance of the bunch, and I think Jared Leto's performance was massively overrated, it's so Oscar-bait it's not even funny. Bradley Cooper FTW.

• EPJ234 | January 24, 2014 1:39 AMReply

Jared Leto. Period.

• Jay | January 20, 2014 8:25 PMReply

I still hope Fassbender wins. He's an incredible actor. But I'm pretty sure Leto is going to win. He's practically won all of the precursors. But I do hope Fassbender wins. If anyone beats him, it better be Leto. His performance was amazing as well, I'm not gonna lie.

• JD | January 19, 2014 12:39 PMReply

While I thought Fassbender did an amazing job in 12 Years a Slave, I don't really feel that he really deserves the Oscar. His role was very one dimensional. He is cruel and sadistic, but that is really it. Yeah, he did a great job of making the audience hate him, but really, how hard is that when you're playing a slave owner?

• LORI | January 17, 2014 9:34 PMReply

Well unfortunately Daniel Bruhl didnt get a nomination and surprisingly Jonah Hill did. After all it seems that the people of the academy are blind, idiots or Peter from Indiewire. Anyway, i hope Fassbender wins.

• Janie | January 17, 2014 10:35 AMReply

I agree, Fassbender deserves the win. Leto was good, but nothing compared to Fassbender.
    I think 12 Years a Slave won't get as many wins as ppl thought it would be. Its a very good movie but I think Dallas Buyers Club will win most of these categories.

• Jack | January 15, 2014 7:56 PMReply

I'm just flat out disgusted Leto is going to win for this, I think he was okay but Michael Fassbender just completely got my attention, it's a very despicable character but they show he has another side to him and you wonder if he's only doing this because he's weak.

• Will | January 15, 2014 2:10 AMReply

Ah Jesus, Jonah Hill and Bradley Cooper over Daniel Bruhl? Idiot

• SILVER | January 16, 2014 11:44 AM

well, he is right so.....

• Andre | January 13, 2014 4:49 PMReply

Having Harrison Ford not nominated for best supporting actor in the Golden Globes has made have to alter my blood pressure medication.

• CJ | January 12, 2014 6:04 PMReply

Really hoping that one of those lower ones can sneak up, would make it so much more interesting!

• 2036 | January 11, 2014 9:35 PMReply

I have seen a majority of these films so I think that I can hang in there with you guys when it comes to guessing the winner. In my opinion though its a horse race between Jared Leto and Michael Fassbender

1) Leto/ Fassbender: To me this was Fassbenders role to lose as he played the role of Master Epps to a tee. He was spiteful, ignorant, and evil all rapped in one. That was until I saw the Dallas Buyers Club and had to remember that it was actually Jared Leto playing a woman and not an actual woman. He did the role justice in my opinion and had to go to some pretty dark places I would imagine to pull that performance out. I find it hard to believe that one of these two men won't be going home with the Oscar.

• Dylan | January 11, 2014 2:25 PMReply

My Nominations (Best Supporting Actor):

Barkhad Abdi - CAPTAIN PHILLIPS
    Bradley Cooper - AMERICAN HUSTLE and/or PLACE BEYOND THE PINES
    Dane DeHaan - THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES
    James Franco - SPRING BREAKERS (I've only seen the first 30 minutes of it twice, but from what I've seen of him from the trailer, he looked unbelievably amazing.)
    Michael Fassbender - 12 YEARS A SLAVE (Again, I haven't seen the movie yet, but from what I've seen from the trailers, and how much I love Michael Fassbender, I want to finally see him get an Oscar nomination because he's a fantastic actor and he looks incredible in that movie.)

• Joey O | January 11, 2014 2:04 PMReply

I'm offended that James Franco is on this list. OFFENDED.

• Kat | January 10, 2014 9:17 PMReply

I dont think theres something sure yet about the winner, I mean they all had great performances thats why this actors are being considered, but my favorite is by far Daniel Bruhl, he was great as Lauda. I cant wait till the nominations.

• Anthony D. | January 9, 2014 11:36 PMReply

Michael Fassbender
    Barkhad Abdi
    Jared Leto
    Jonah Hill/Daniel Bruhl/Bradley Cooper

The field here is unclear but Leto has already won. Everyone else (except maybe Fassbender, maybe) can stay home.

• 3 | January 9, 2014 9:48 PMReply

Best supporting Actor:
    Jared Leto
    Micahel Fassbender
    Bradley Cooper
    Keith Stanfield
    James Franco

• Rachel | January 9, 2014 12:40 PMReply

With the Bafta nominations I guess we can confirm that Daniel Bruhl is a very strong contender and a lock too, and there is nothing sure yet, not even Leto as the winner. I would be very happy if Bruhl wins the Bafta, he is the one who deserves it the most, but I support Fassbender too, theyre both are amazing. But yeah, dont underestimate Bruhl.

• Mexicano | January 9, 2014 9:17 AMReply

Jared Leto snubbed for the Bafta!!! Wooooowwwww...
    That leaves only 3 Actors who have been nominated for the Whole Grand Slam (Golden Globes, SAG, Bafta & Oscar-tba): Bruhl, Abdi and Fassbender.
    Being realistic, Abdi is not taking the Oscar home, then it will be for Bruhl or Fassbender.
    Bafta also confirmes that the Fifth spot will be for Bradley Cooper.
    And the Oscar goes to... Daniel Bruhl.

• Mexicano | January 9, 2014 9:12 AMReply

Daniel Bruhl for the Bafta!
    Bafta practically belongs him because the British Academy will not recuse to Award a Best European Actor Winner. His only real competence for Bafta is Fassbender.

• Jay | January 9, 2014 12:36 AMReply

FASSBENDER! FASSBENDER! FASSBENDER! He should be the only one taking that Oscar home. Seriously underrated actor.

• Mike | January 8, 2014 5:58 AMReply

LOUIS CK IN AMERICAN HUSTLE

• Hirdesh | January 6, 2014 2:14 PMReply

Colin Farrell deserves a Supporting Actor Nomination for Saving Mr Banks. He was better than Tom Hanks.

• niall | January 5, 2014 3:10 PMReply

i think that fassbender deserves it his character is the most hated character ive ever hated in a film but i also think Colin Farrell deserves a nomination he was really good and i cried at it one of his best performances to date

• ALEX | January 3, 2014 1:24 PMReply

I've seen most of the films deemed to be Oscar-worthy this year. So I think I'd be able to pass fair judgement on who deserves an Oscar nod in this category and why. (List ranked in order of my favorite performances.)

1) Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave) - One of the best actors this generation, Fassbender was criminally overlooked by the Academy for his performance in Shame. This year, he gives a totally unhinged role in 12 Years, playing a cruel, sadistic slave owner with such anger and yet, underlying humanity.

2) Bradley Cooper (American Hustle) - Bradley Cooper has been undergoing a career renaissance of late, and that streak continues in Hustle. Cooper was absolutely fantastic in his role as a power-hungry and unyielding FBI agent and with undoubtedly one of the best performances of the year, Cooper deserves a lock at his 2nd nomination.

3) Daniel Bruhl (Rush) - Bruhl probably had the most complex and unlikeable character to work with, so it serves as a testament as to how he managed to get viewers to root for him instead. His acting was top notch, and his personality switch halfway through the film makes it even better.

4) Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club) - Although Leto remains the favorite, I just can't see his performance beating that of those by Fassbender and Cooper. Despite that, he still manages an award-worthy performance by completely disappearing into his role.

5) James Gandolfini (Enough Said) - A performance that deserves to be rewarded, if not for the terrific and haunting acting, then as a tribute to one of the finest actors ever lived.

Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips) never really managed to impress me with his performance as it was pretty much average at best, and quite frankly there was nothing memorable about it.

Jonah Hill was good in Wolf of Wall Street, but at times it just felt like he was playing off his usual, party-loving self.

• Rajesh | January 3, 2014 10:32 PM

Bradley Cooper should be an absolute lock. He was pure genius in American Hustle.

1. Bradley Cooper
    2. Jared Leto
    3. Michael Fassbender
    4. Barkhad Abdi
    5. Daniel Bruhl

• Penelope | January 3, 2014 10:30 PM

I agree with each of your choices. I feel that in any other year, Bradley Cooper would've already picked up the Oscar as his performance was absolutely magnificent and the fact that he was able to steal every scene he was in just impressed me. But the Supporting Actor category is especially tough this year, and although Cooper won't win, I hope either Daniel Bruhl or Michael Fassbender will win it.

• Jay-r | January 3, 2014 10:41 AMReply

People, let's just wait for the list of Academy nominations 2013 it's not far from now. There are people who keeps on criticizing a certain actor without watching the movie first. It's just that, it's hard to criticize without even knowing what we're talking about.

• Ryan | January 2, 2014 12:37 PMReply

I'm going to do something rare, I'm going to give my predictions after actually seeing all of the films and watching all of the performances that are competitors to be nominated, with the exception of Nebraska and I've yet to see Inside Llewyn... And some extra thoughts

-1)Leto: Deep performance, very emotional. The obvious front runner

-2)Bruhl: Also very deep and emotional. He played a very complex character, his narration was fantastic and the mid film transformation was great. He is almost a lead, but I doubt that will hurt him. (Rush did not get enough love as a film, however, so..)

-3)Hill (Yes, the pick everyone loves to hate). I realize most people who doubt this pick have yet to even see the Wolf, but he killed it. Sure, it wasn't the most likeable or deep character, but it was a tough role. His love for Jordan (Leo) came out, and his problems inside his party exterior showed, some great freakout scenes (when his character loses it, anger). I think the nomination lock for this came from the scene that will be known as the "Lemon scene" with him and Leo. If you've seen the Wolf, you will agree.

^To me, these 3 are the only favorites, who I think should be locks

Possibilities and why I don't think they SHOULD be favorites

-Fassbender: He was terrifically evil. However, I don't think that a cruel, slave owner is that difficult to play. I know it was Django, but I thought Leo did fantastic as Candie in it and nothing. No nomination (I realize there wasn't that much screen time, but he did enough). I think it's kind of a double standard is Fassbender wins. So for the record, I REALLY don't want him to win, but there's ALOT of buzz around him

-Cooper (And Renner): And the parentheses is exactly why I think he/they shouldn't win or be nominated. Cooper showed some great emotion and anger with his character, I almost found him to be like a mild sociopath. Renner was great as well, his character was really likeable and you felt for him and the position he is in. I think when there are two great supporting actors in one film, 2 great performances like in American Hustle, neither will or should win.

-Hanks (And Farrel). I know, same as the above. Hanks was good, as always, but his performance is being extremely overrated. He really didn't have that much screen time, probably less than Farrel. I thought Farrel almost stole the show. The versatility he showed, between being a great imaginative father and a terrible, sick alcoholic. Just like in Hustle, these two hurt each others chances greatly.

-Harrelson/Affleck: Both great, Affleck edged him out (I don't think villains, Harrelson, should be win, much less be nominated, for the Oscars). My opinion, sorry.

-Abdi: Great, like everyone else. I really can't see this guy playing another role, so I don't know if that is a good or bad thing..maybe both?

-Ford: I feel like he or 42 are hardly being talked about. You really liked his character. I found him an hero, he had this strange courage, I can't really explain. His role definitely had the importance and the emotional impact I can see the Academy recognizing.

-Gyllenhaal: Someone who is also not getting any love. I felt he did all the little things just right. I think Jackman's shouting just stole his thunder.

-McConaughey: For Mud. I saw some comments below for the Wolf. He has like 5 minutes screen time in that. He was great in Mud, however. The ending he showed great emotion, just some really nice scenes.

-Franco or anyone from the Butler..no, just no.

• Ryan | January 2, 2014 12:38 PM

Why they SHOULD NOT be favorites***. Typo

• Sherrie | January 2, 2014 1:34 AMReply

It's Jared Leto for me all the way; his performance was heartbreaking. I love Fassbender and he did an admirable job playing evil, but as far as the performance that sticks with me and astounds me today just as it did three months ago, Leto deserves this one.

• Mexicano | January 3, 2014 1:51 AM

I don't really know how much of Leto's interpretation was acting and how much was himself evolving to a woman -like Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs-.
    Nobody doubts that his performance was great, but if you look closer, he had been trying to come out long time ago and he finally found the way to do it.
    So, despite his excellent work in DBC, I would vote for an interpreter who was not playing himself.
    For me, the deepest and most difficult work was done by Daniel Bruhl in Rush. Nobody would have played Niki Lauda better than him. On the other hand, you can find many good actors playing a travesti as good as Leto did it -Jay Davison, Hillary Swank, Felicity Huffman, William Hurt, Gael Garcia, etc., etc.-

• Mel | January 1, 2014 7:48 PMReply

I really think Daniel Bruhl is a lock too, I hope he has chances to win an Oscar, his performance was amazing.

• Ben | December 31, 2013 9:48 PMReply

Come on Fassbender! His performance was absolutely haunting the academy cant just ignore him like what they did with Shame and Hunger. He is seriously an underrated actor.

• kia | December 31, 2013 1:05 PMReply

man Daniel Bruhl really nailed it....the way he performed i guess he should win it...

• Mexicano | December 31, 2013 2:42 AMReply

Daniel Bruhl is taking home the Oscar. I have been telling that since long time ago.
    Indie Wire didn't believe it but now Bruhl is in the race for the Golden Globe and SAG.
    Bafta will certainly award him because Bruhl is very well known and respected in Europe. Impossible that British Academy does not vote for a former Best European Actor Winner.

• MARIU | December 29, 2013 10:51 PMReply

I want JAMES FRANCO to be in the race!!!!!!

• Michele | December 29, 2013 9:13 AMReply

I like your locks, and I think the other three are probably Abdi, Gandolfini, and Hanks. I think Fassbender should win on the basis of performance. Bruhl has a lot of love here but he was the lead, not supporting. If he is not competitive in lead, then he shouldn't be considered for supporting. B. Cooper is a good actor, but AH is not his best work. As for Jonah Hill, no.

• Mexicano | December 31, 2013 3:06 AM

Bruhl is competitive as Leading but the point is that for Hollywood Thor is more famous and then they considera Thor as the Leading and Bruhl as the supporting.
    I agree Bruhl is the Leading in Rush. Actually, he steals the show with his amazing performance at the level of Cotillard in La vie in Rose.
    In my opinion, the Leading Actor Category is boring because no matters who become the nominees, we all already know Eijofer will win. Then, the Supporting Actor Category is more competitive because it has 3 potencial winners -Leto. Fassbender and Bruhl- and nothing has been written yet.
    The only way to make the Leding Actor race less predictable is by nominationg Bruhl as Leading. His performance is much better than Eijofer's and it would be exciting seing them face to face.
    If you think Bruhl is not competitive as Leading is because obviously you don't know what you are talking about. I invite you to google his career in Europe, were he has been Leading since many years ago.
    Actually, he won as Best European Leading Actor at the age of 25. An Award that has been given to Helen Mirren for The Queen, Bjork for Dancer in the Dark, Colin Firth for The King's Speech, Emmanuelle Riva and Jean Louis Tringtiant for Amour, Juliette Binoche for The English Patient, Issabelle Hubert for The Piano Teacher, Tahar Rahim, Javier Bardem, Toni Servillo, Kate Winslet, Penelope Cruz, Roberto Benigni, among others...

• FilmFan | December 29, 2013 1:52 AMReply

put hanks here instead but like the locks in this to.

• Jasper | December 28, 2013 11:03 PMReply

Bradley Cooper deserves an Oscar for his performance, there's no doubt at all that he will get nominated. At this point, people are starting to realize that Cooper might be one of the best actors to come.
    My Top 5

Bradley Cooper
    Jonah Hill
    Jared Leto
    James Gandolfini
    Michael Fassbender

• Jay-r | January 3, 2014 10:30 AM

Thank God. Someone who saw what I see to Bradley Cooper's performance. I watched 12 Years a Slave, Dallas Buyers Club, Rush, Captain Phillips and American Hustle. I would say that every supporting acts were really strong this year. But I have to give it to Bradley Cooper who really give a strong, crazy and captivating performance.

• Claudio | December 28, 2013 3:12 PMReply

Woddy Harrelson??? for out od the furnace??..

• defraz1972 | December 28, 2013 12:44 PMReply

No mention of idris elba?thought his performance was incredible as mandela.will pass judgement on the 2nd of january for american hustle(really looking forward to it)

• No | December 28, 2013 11:40 PM

Idris Elba wouldn't be cited because this is category is speaking about SUPPORTING ACTORS and Elba, in Mandela, would be a LEADING ACTOR. The factor that you don't know the difference makes it suspect that you truly appreciate his work

• Azrin | December 24, 2013 12:40 PMReply

Bradley Cooper stole the show in American Hustle amongst some of the finest actors of this generation. I would say he's pretty much a lock for his second Oscar nomination.
    My predictions :
    1) Bradley Cooper - American Hustle
    2) Michael Fassbender - 12 Years a Slave
    3) Jared Leto - Dallas Buyers Club
    4) Barkhad Abdi - Captain Phillips
    5) Daniel Bruhl - Rush

• Mexicano | December 26, 2013 12:07 AM

It only remains one name that will join to Bruhl, Leto, Fassbender and Abdi to the Big Party. That last spot could be for Cooper, Hanks, Goodman or Gandolfini. I don't understand why is Indie Wire insisting with Jonah Hill. Even Tahar Rahim would be a great choice, but I simply can't understand that much love to Hill.

• Bob | December 23, 2013 3:45 AMReply

Once again, our top 8 is the same, nice picks. Yes...top 8 not even top 5 lol.

Updated List

4) Martin Scorsese - The Wolf of Wall Street
    5) Alexander Payne - Nebraska

Runner ups

6) Spike Jonze - Her
    7) Paul Greengrass - Captain Phillips
    8. John Lee Hancock - Saving Mr.Banks

Best Actor (Pretty damn strong year; only surefire nominees are Ejiofor and McConaughey honestly)

Chiwetel Ejiofor - 12 Years a Slave

Lupita Nyong'o - 12 Years a Slave
    Jenifer Lawrence - American Hustle
    June Squibb - Nebraska
    Julia Roberts - August: Osage County
    Oprah Winfrey - Lee Daniel's The Butler

• Mexicano | January 3, 2014 1:55 AM

In your Supporting Actress prediction I would replace Oprah Winfrey and June Squib with Lea Seydoux and Sally Hawkins.

• Pete | December 21, 2013 11:26 AMReply

Why Daniel Bruhl isn't a lock? He obviously will get a nomination. Fassbender, Leto and him have pretty much the same chances to win the Oscar.

• Mexicano | December 26, 2013 12:00 AM

I agree. Leto, Fassbender and Bruhl are leading the Supporting Actor race. They 3 are locks since long time ago, even when Indie Wire said different. I think the 3 of them are deserving, but I would go with Bruhl. Leto's work is impressive and deserving but I am not pretty sure when his performance ends and when is he having a real-life transformation to a woman. With all respect, I admired Leto, but he has always wanted to dress like a woman, so that is not a 100% a performance.
    Fassbender is also fantastic and really deserving, but there is much more character development, method and artistic work in Bruhl's interpretation. I prefer the Fassbender of Shame.
    Hopefully, there will be a tie in this category, that would be great!

• JD | December 19, 2013 1:15 PMReply

Tom Hanks is not a long shot. I think he has a much better shot than Hill. And why is Steve Coogan not anywhere on this list?

• JD | January 9, 2014 10:55 PM

I did see the wolf, and Hill was not special at all. The movie itself is vastly overrated. I found him to be annoying and awkward.

• ryan | January 2, 2014 12:03 PM

So many people, like you, keep commenting on here without even seeing the films. So why would you think he has a much better shot than Hill when you have yet to see either of the two? I have seen both, and I completely disagree with you. If you actually waited to comment on here until after they've taken time to watch and compare the performances, you would know that, though Hanks did well like always, he did not get as much screen time as you'd think. His performance also will be minimized by 2 other great supporting roles, Colin Farrel as Travers and Giametti. Hill was unbelievable as well. The thing with the Wolf of Wall Street is when it wasn't the Leo show for, as it was for the majority, it was pretty much only Hill, stealing scenes left and right. I think Hill has a nice chance or atleast should, as his performance was incredible. I don't know if people just look at a few reviews and decide or just make random picks, but please can we start watching the movies before making such claims.

• Bard | December 19, 2013 7:00 AMReply

I think Jared Leto, Daniel Bruhl and Tom Hanks will get nominations. I'm kinda hoping James Franco will be nominated too. The winner here is Michael Fassbender, although Jared Leto should win this.

• Ariel | December 17, 2013 12:36 PMReply

Will Win: Michael Fassbender
    Could Win: Daniel Bruhl
    Should Win: Jared Leto

• Will | December 18, 2013 6:06 PM

I'll personally say I have it the other way around. Jared Leto will win (considering he's won every single award that's been presented), but I think Michael Fassbender should win.

• Mexicano | December 16, 2013 12:51 AMReply

For me, (and for the major awards) there are 4 locks
    Bruhl
    Leto
    Fassbender
    Abdi

In my opinion, the last spot should be for Tahar Rahim in The Past. But as far as that doesn't look probable, that place will be for Gandolfini, Cooper or Hanks.

Jonah Hill is totally out of this competence.

• ryan | January 2, 2014 12:05 PM

Jonah Hill is out of this competition (?)? Once again you have yet to see Cooper, Hanks, or Hill in their roles, so why do you say this. I thought all 3 did great, but I guess some people still haven't accepted the fact that Hill is going to be in Oscar talks from here on out. He did great

• Mirko | December 13, 2013 2:03 PMReply

I am sorry for Tom Hanks in Saving Mr Banks. I want he in nomination.

• kami | December 13, 2013 4:34 AMReply

My prediction are (It depend on performances only)

1. Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)
    2. Daniel Bruhl (Rush)
    3. Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)
    4. Jonah Hill (The Wolf of Wall Street)
    5. Will Forte (Nebraska)
    6. James Gandolfini (Enough Said)
    7. Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)
    8. Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)

• Lyn | December 13, 2013 1:56 AMReply

Jonah Hill over Daniel Brühl after his TWO recent nominations? lmao

• Mexicano | December 14, 2013 2:42 AM

I think Peter from Indie Wire is in love with Jonah Hill.

• Brett | December 12, 2013 5:14 PMReply

1. Michael Fassbender in 12 Years a Slave
    2. Jared Leto in Dallas Buyers Club
    3. Tom Hanks in Saving Mr. Banks
    4. Daniel Bruhl in Rush
    5. Bradley Cooper in American Hustle
    6. Harrison Ford in 42
    7. John Goodman in Inside Llewyn Davis
    8. Jake Gyllenhaal in Prisoners
    9. Jonah Hill in Wolf of Wall Street
    10. Woody Harrelson in Out of the Furnace
    11. Matthew McConaughey in Mud
    12. Barkhad Abdi in Captain Phillips

• Eric S. | December 11, 2013 2:49 PMReply

You still think Jonah Hill will get a nomination over Daniel Bruhl? Jeez....

• Mexicano | December 12, 2013 11:33 PM

I cant believe somebody thinks that! I told you Indie Wire, Bruhl is gonna get the Oscar. He gave the best male performance of the year, by far far

• Will | December 11, 2013 11:10 AMReply

Yes! Daniel Bruhl and Barkhad Abdi have been nominated for the SAG Award, which is one step closer to a potential Oscar. Michael Fassbender and Jared Leto were locked, and it's great to see them there also.

• Mexicano | December 13, 2013 12:05 AM

What an Acting race! I insist, this category is much more interesting than the Leading Actor category.

• Nate | December 10, 2013 6:49 PMReply

Jared Leto did (in my opinion) the BEST ACTING job this year. This was method acting at its best!

• kami | December 10, 2013 10:41 AMReply

My prediction are

For Win

1. Michael Fassbender - 12 Years a Slave (He will nominate in future but this is his finest performance)
    2. Jared Leto - Dallas Buyers Club (Not oscar material but i hope he win)
    3. Jonah Hill - The Wolf of Wall Street (Could be the next joe pesci)

For nominee

4. Will Forte - Nebraska (He could be the dark horse)
    5. Jake Gyllenhaal - Prisoners (I loved his performance. he is the standout. need sag and globe attention)

Hopefuls

6. Daniel Bruhl - Rush
    7. Tom Hanks - Saving Mr. Banks
    8. James Gandolfini - Enough Said

• Ryan | January 2, 2014 12:08 PM

Kami, totally agree with your top 3. Leto was great, Hill very well could be the next pesci, and Fassbender is definitely going to be nominated but I doubt he'll win. Surprise pick with Gyllenhaal, but I could definitely see it

• Charles | December 9, 2013 5:42 PMReply

If somehow Jonah Hill slips in and someone like Michael Fassbender gets edged out... That will mean Jonah Hill is a 2-time Oscar nominee and Fassbender, Daniel Bruhl have zero. Ummm....

• Mexicano | December 8, 2013 2:56 PMReply

I don't understand why Indie Wire is taking Daniel Bruhl out of the competence. That does not make sense.
    -Bruhl's strenghts:
    He gave the best male performance of the year.
    Oscar owes him a nomination since 10 years ago.
    -Bruhl's weakness:
    He is not American.

• Will | December 11, 2013 3:03 PM

Well neither was Christoph Waltz or Christian Bale, yet they went on to win an Oscar.