By Peter Knegt | Indiewire November 23, 2014 at 2:20PM
Felicity Jones ("The Theory of Everything"), Julianne Moore ("Still Alice"), Rosamund Pike ("Gone Girl") and Reese Witherspoon ("Wild") are essentially locked into nominations in this very lean race (certainly compared to best actor) with a definite frontrunner in Moore. If any of the acting races have a likely winner already, it's this one. It's major question mark is who ends up being the fifth nominee. Hilary Swank, Shailene Woodley, Jennifer Aniston, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Amy Adams, Emily Blunt and Marion Cotillard all stand reasonable shots at managing that last slot. We shall see. But let's leave things off with a fun fact in that regard: If Moore wins (which she almost surely will), it would mean that for two years running, Alec Baldwin has played the husband of the Oscar winning best actress.
Check out predictions in other categories here.
An Absolute Lock (To Win?):
1. Julianne Moore, "Still Alice"
Extremely Likely To Join Her:
2. Reese Witherspoon, "Wild"
3. Felicity Jones, "Theory of Everything"
4. Rosamund Pike, "Gone Girl"
Battling It Out For The Last Slot
5. Shailene Woodley, "The Fault In Our Stars"
6. Hilary Swank, "The Homesman"
7. Amy Adams, "Big Eyes"
8. Jennifer Aniston, "Cake"
9. Gugu Mbatha-Raw, "Belle"
10. Emily Blunt, "Into The Woods"
11. Marion Cotillard, "Two Days, One Night"
12. Mia Wasikowska, "Tracks"