By Dana Harris | Indiewire May 13, 2011 at 7:37AM
Billed as "26 Directors | 26 Ways to Die," Drafthouse Films, Timpson Films and Magnet Releasing will produce "The ABCs of Death." a 26-chapter anthology feature "that showcases death in all its vicious wonder and brutal beauty."
Among the contributing filmmakers are Ben Wheatley ("The Kill List"), Ti West ("The Innkeepers"), Jason Eisener ("Hobo With A Shotgun") and Srdjan Spasojevic ("A Serbian Film"). Magnet will serve as the film's North American distributor.
Each of 26 directora (or directing teams) will be assigned a matching budget, along with a letter and accompanying word; it's up to the director to determine how it should inspire a short story of death. The project's website says "a linking device will open, connect and close" all of the short films.
Production on the omnibus begins in June, with completion slated for January 2012. (Or, as the release promises, exactly six months, six weeks and six days later.)
The plan calls for 25 established directors to participate, with the 26th director to be an unknown chosen in a competition, yet to be announced.
The 20 directors currently confirmed are:
1. Banjong Pisanthanakun (Shutter, Alone)
2. Angela Bettis (Roman)
3. Adrian Garcia Bogliano (Cold Sweat)
4. Jason Eisener (Hobo With A Shotgun)
5. Ernesto Diaz Espinoza (Mirageman)
6. Bruno Forzani and Héléne Cattet (Amer)
7. Gadi Harel (DeadGirl)
8. Thomas Malling (Norwegian Ninja)
9. Yoshihiro Nishimura (Tokyo Gore Police; Frankenstein Girl Vs. Vampire Girl)
10. Simon Rumley (The Living and the Dead; Red, White and Blue)
11. Tak Sakaguchi and Yuji Shimomura (Yakuza Weapon)
12. Marcel Sarmiento (DeadGirl)
13. Srdjan Spasojevic (A Serbian Film)
14. Timo Tjahjanto (Macabre)
15. Andrew Traucki (Black Water, The Reef)
16. Nacho Vigalando (TimeCrimes)
17. Jake West (Doghouse, Evil Aliens)
18. Ti West (The House of the Devil, The Innkeepers)
19. Ben Wheatley (Down Terrace, Kill List)
20. Adam Wingard (Pop Skull, A Horrible Way To Die)
Alamo Drafthouse founder Tim League and Timpson Films CEO Ant Timpson will co-produce. Magnolia International will handle all international sales.
More details, including bios on all the filmmakers, are available at the Alamo Drafthouse website.