1. Penn Jilette: Penn Jillette wants you to help him make a horror film. The performer has turned to Donald Trump's crowdfunding site, FundAnything, to raise money for his film, "Director's Cut." Find out more about it here.
2. Eagle Cam: Talk about a bird's eye view! Someone got the crazy brilliant idea of strapping a GoPro camera onto an eagle to capture the flying eagle's point of view. The results are magnificent.
3. Crowdfunding and Taxes: Better warn, Penn Jillette. Crowdfunding sounds simple enough until you consider the tax implications. A panel during the IFP Film Week, "Soft Money, Uncle Sam, Equity and Crowdfunding," focused on some of the challenges of crowdfunding -- and the changes that will come next Monday, September 23rd when the JOBs Act could usher in a new era of equity crowdfunding.
4. Nielsen: It's been a long time coming...The TV ratings system is finally changing to include mobile device viewing, according to Variety. This means that Nielsen will be able to measure viewership of content streamed through apps just as they do live TV.
5. Netflix: So TV networks will now be able to measure viewership from mobile devices, but they still won't be able to measure Netflix's ratings, which, according to Forbes, annoys networks like HBO, Starz and Showtime. Investors would also like to know, but Netflix says it has no plans to release numbers. We'll see about that...
Send tech news for filmmakers to firstname.lastname@example.org.