By Paula Bernstein | Indiewire December 31, 2013 at 10:12AM
1. New Netflix Plan: Netflix is experimenting with a $6.99 single screen streaming option, but there is no definite plan to roll it out to all subscribers. Read more about the potential plan at TechCrunch.
2. Social Stats: In their latest social media update, Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project found that about 73% of online adults now use a social networking site of some kind. While Facebook continues to dominate, Pew found that 42% of online adults are diversifying and using more than one social networking site. Instagram users are almost as likely as Facebook users to check the site daily. After Facebook, LinkedIn is the most popular social network, followed closely by Pinterest, which has jumped ahead of Twitter. Read the full report here.
3. Mobile Movie Rentals: AMC Networks recently launched an iPad version of Yeah!, the mobile movie rental service which AMC Networks introduced in March at SXSW. Yeah! only offers rentals, but has plans to sell digital copies. "The launch of the Yeah! app provides the most immersive movie watching experience available, one that gives film fans the power to go deeper into their favorite movies than ever before, virtually anytime and anywhere," said Lisa Judson, General Manager of Yeah! in a statement "With Yeah!, we aimed to re-invent the streaming experience from lean back to lean in, with a richness and depth previously unavailable in any medium." Find out more here.
4. POV Films: Select POV documentaries are available to stream for free through the holidays and into the new year, including "Listening is an Act of Love," "Girl Model" and "Guilty Pleasures." Visit POV's site for more info.
5. 12 Days of Gifts: With its "12 Days of Gifts" app, Apple is giving away a gift each day from December 26 to January 6. You can download free songs, apps, books, movies, and more gifts. Yesterday, consumers in the U.S. and Canada were able to download Martin Scorsese's "Hugo" for free, while users in other countries got to see "Home Alone." Check out the app to see what today's gift is.