1. Documentary Filmmakers on Twitter: If you're looking for tips about how to crowdfund your film, which festivals are best for documentaries or other insights into the doc world, follow our list of 25 documentary filmmakers on Twitter. Feel free to add your own suggestions to the list (in the comments).
2. Twitter on the Rise: We're sure it has nothing to do with our list of documentary filmmakers on Twitter, but the social network's stock continues to rise as investors bet on Twitter's digital advertising sales prospects. Read more at Bloomberg News about Twitter's upswing past the $70 mark (up from its I.P.O. last month when it was $26/share).
3. Most Pirated TV Shows: According to TorrentFreak, the season 3 finale for "Game of Thrones" was downloaded 5.9 million times through BitTorrent, making it the most-pirated show of 2013. It was also the most pirated show of 2012. According to TorrentFreak's estimates, more people illegally downloaded the show than watched it legally. "Breaking Bad" and "Walking Dead" were among the other most pirated shows of the year. See the full list here.
4. Glasses-Free 3D?: We're hoping that this is the year that glasses-free 3D finally takes off. The ongoing challenge has been to create 3D technology that is easy and convenient to use, doesn't cause eye strain and can work for a group viewing experience. As we gear up for the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas early next month, we'll keep you updated on the latest news about companies hoping to make glasses-free 3D a reality.
5. Filmmaking Apps: Though it's more geared to the home movie "director," The New York Times published "Unlocking Your Inner Movie Director (and Editor)," an article featuring a list of apps for directing and editing on your smartphone. They also include recommendations for other gear you may need, including a tripod and a microphone. Check out the story here.