By Paula Bernstein | Indiewire January 29, 2014 at 11:35AM
1. 3D Honors: The International 3D & Advanced Imaging Society honored 25 films for "distinguished achievement" at the 3D Creative Arts Awards on Tuesday night. Not surprisingly, "Gravity" was the big winner, receiving awards for best "Live Action 3D Feature," best "Stereography - Live Action," best "3D Scene of the Year" and best "2D to 3D" conversion. "Metallica Through the Never" won for best "Motion Picture Documentary."
2. Smartphone Filmmaking: Over the last century, each generation of technology revolutionized filmmaking. But with smartphone filmmaking, the barrier to entry drops to something close to zero. David Rosen asks whether 2014 is the year that smartphone filmmaking becomes mainstream. Read more here.
3. Crowdfunding: Just a few years ago, it was nearly unheard of for filmmakers to seek funding on crowdfunding platforms such as Kickstarter (of course, Kickstarter didn't even exist until 2009) -- and even more unusual for those projects to screen at film festivals. This year, 26 Sundance Film Festival projects used crowdfunding. We've done the research and tell you which films used which platform: Indiegogo or Kickstarter. Read about it here.
4. Matthew Modine: Speaking of crowdfunding, Matthew Modine is the latest celebrity to try to raise funds online, but in the case of his project "The Rocking Horsemen," he's gone to Slated, according to Deadline. Slated is unlike Kickstarter or Indiegogo because it allows for equity investments as opposed to just "rewards."
5. New Frontier: Sean Flynn asks whether interactive films are transforming modern storytelling and looks to Sundance's New Frontier section for the answer. He reports that New Frontier is creating a platform for films and interactive artworks that "expand, experiment with and explode traditional storytelling," often (though not always) with the help of bleeding edge technologies. The biggest attraction at this year's New Frontier was the cluster of projects utilizing the new Oculus Rift virtual reality system. Read more here.