1. Netflix: Last weekend, Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos gave a rousing speech at the Film Independent Forum. In addition to boasting about the streaming service's success, he criticized the "antiquated windows for movies," saying it drives piracy. "Give the consumers what they want," Sarandos said. Read his entire speech here.
2. Crowdfunding Beckett: Along with Milestone Films, archivist Ross Lipman is creating "NotFilm," a documentary about the story behind Samuel Beckett's "Film" (starring Buster Keaton) and its legendarily troubled production. Milestone is producing the film and plans to raise half of the film’s approximately $95,000 budget through IndieGoGo. Read more about the project here.
3. Filmmakers on Twitter: We recently compiled a list of 40 Female Filmmakers to follow on Twitter and asked for suggestions of others to add. The response was overwhelming, so we've expanded the list to 100 and opened it up to all filmmakers regardless of gender. See our list of 100 Filmmakers to Follow on Twitter.
4. Amazon Studios: Amazon Studios announced today that it has greenlit its first two drama pilots -- "Bosch," based on Michael Connelly’s best-selling Harry Bosch mystery series, and "The After," from Chris Carter, creator of "The X-Files." As with the comedies, these drama pilots will be put online for free for the public to watch and give feedback on, helping the company determine which will be ordered to series, writes Alison Willmore. Read her full story here.
5. Digital Cinema Projetcor: The NC1100L Digital Cinema projector It is being touted as the world’s first Digital Cinema-compliant projector with laser light source built-in. NEC Display Solutions of America officially announced the projector today. The laser light source projector is targeted to exhibitors, art houses, mobile cinemas, theaters in universities and public buildings. The NC1100L projector features 2K (2048 x 1080) resolutions, 3D capabilities and 3-chip DMD reflection method. Read more about it here.
Got tech news for filmmakers? Send news, tips and story ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.