1. Ti West on Piracy: "Films are more than just momentary entertainment, they are works of art" says the horror-savvy writer/director Ti West. He makes this statement in his open letter regarding internet piracy, and he's not pleased with the situation. He shoots down some big "reasons" for pirating in this letter and more.
2. New: indieFilmFunding. A brand new crowdfunding platform came out today exclusively for indie film funding - titled indieFilmFunding. With it came its first theatrical film campaign called "The Big Finish" (director Martin Guigui). It's a little different from other crowdfunding sources - for one, it lets filmmakers receive funding even if the target goal has not been reached. Read more here.
3. Netflix Signs Deal With Suddenlink. Cable company Suddenlink Communications just struck up a deal with Netflix: the film-streaming service will now be available through TiVo set-tops. This announcement comes on the heels of last week's news, when three smaller cable operators launched similar Netflix services (though customers need to own TiVo boxes to benefit from each). But some bigger operators, like Comcast, are holding back. Read more here.
4. Under the Electric Sky: Insomniac, Focus Features and Tugg have teamed up to make theatrical showings of the immersive 3D documentary "Under the Electric Sky" available beginning on May 29th with crowd sourced screenings via Tugg. Visit http://www.undertheelectricsky.com to find out how to host a screening.
5. TechCrunch Disrupt: TechCrunch visited the Media And Entertainment Pavilion in Startup Alley at TechCrunch Disrupt in New York and made this cool video so you can get a sense of the event even if you couldn't be there. Check it out here.