1. Vine Tips: Screenwriter Brian Koppelman has 26 Six Second Screenwriting Tips on Vine. In these six second clips, he covers everything from combating writer's block, to story structure. Read about it here. And follow Koppelman on Twitter. He's got some good advice -- plus, it's quick and free!
2. VHX: Direct-to-fan distribution platform VHX is offering DRM-free video redemptions that will stream or download to any device for successfully funded Kickstarter campaigns. Seems like a good deal to us. Read more about it here.
3. Drone Filmmaking: As unmanned aerial vehicles become more robust and the ability to stabilize high quality cameras gets easier, the possibilities for indie filmmakers who want to get crane shots or helicopter shots are expanding. Take a look at these eight films that show off what people are trying to do with GoPros and iPhones on quadcopters and other unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).
4. Empire Project: We talk a lot about immersive storytelling, transmedia, and interactivity, but "The Empire Project" reminds us that those terms are more than buzzwords. The beautiful interactive documentary, which explores the legacy of
Dutch colonialism around the world, will literally take the audience on a
trip -- throughout the New York Film Festival at several venues to
visit installations and watch a series of short interactive videos.
"Empire" makes it world premiere at the NYFF Convergence on Saturday. Read more about it here.
5. Netflix HD: Netflix is making its higher-quality “Super HD” video titles to all members, regardless of their internet service provider (ISP), Variety reports. "We initially rolled out Super HD in January only through ISPs with a direct connection to Netflix. Based on the performance data we've seen, and in response to member requests, we are now expanding availability to give all our members the ability to enjoy Netflix in the best possible quality," Netflix director of communications Joris Evers wrote in a blog post Thursday. Netflix is continuing to encourage ISPs to adopt Netflix Open Connect, the company's optimized video content delivery network. Not sure what Netflix Open Connect is? Watch the explanatory video below:
Got tech news for filmmakers? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.