By Paula Bernstein | Indiewire January 14, 2014 at 2:46PM
1. Sundance Streaming: With the 2014 edition of the Sundance Film Festival launching on Thursday, it's the perfect time to highlight some past Sundance hits which are available to stream for free right now at SnagFilms (Indiewire's parent company). Check then out here. Meanwhile, iTunes has updated its Sundance store with new titles. Check it out here.
2. Sundance's Take on Technology: Meanwhile, Sundance has long been known not only as a showcase for innovation but also as a place for the celebration of it. As technological developments mandate new approaches to creativity, the festival is on the brink of being more tech-savvy than ever before. Read Kyle Burton's "Sundance Curiosities" column, "Here’s What This Year’s Sundance Movies Could Teach Us About Modern Technology."
3. Sundance Institute: In more Sundance-related news, Sundance Institute today announced the 11 independent films now available through a variety of platforms and storefronts, via the Institute’s Artist Services program, which provides artists supported by the Institute with exclusive opportunities for creative self-distribution, marketing and financing for their work. For details visit sundance.org/nowplaying.
4. Netflix News: Netflix is going epic and historical -- the streaming service has ordered a series based on the adventures of explorer and trader Marco Polo in the midst of a war in 13th century China. The nine-episode series produced by The Weinstein Company will begin production soon at the new Pinewood Studios, Malaysia, to premiere in all Netflix territories in late 2014. Read more about it here.
5. FilmGate: Now in its second year, FilmGate Interactive, the interactive film
festival and technology conference produced by Indie Film Club Miami,
has scheduled a series of events which will showcase the latest ideas
and innovations of transmedia storytelling. The event will take place
from February 1-5, 2014 in various South Florida venues. Find out more about FilmGate Interactive's schedule here.