By Paula Bernstein | Indiewire October 18, 2013 at 11:19AM
1. Wikileaks: You could go see "The Fifth Estate," the Bill Condon-directed feature WikiLeaks starring Benedict Cumberbatch as WikiLeaks' Julian Assange in theaters today or you can rent the Alex Gibney-directed doc "We Steal Secrets: The Story of WikiLeaks" over at the iTunes store, where it's available as a 99 cents special of the week. Your choice.
2. MovieMaze App: MovieMaze, the smartphone and tablet-based interactive movie app, is about to introduce its first release, "The Mechanic," for free. The collaboration of UK-based Stickmen Pictures and Hollywood's Leomark Studios, "The Mechanic" is an interactive multi-adventure movie where users get to guide the storyline.
The two companies plan to release two more MovieMaze adventures, "The Plumber" and "The Private Eye" in 2014. While the app will be free (and "The Mechanic" is free for a limited time), future releases will be available for purchase. MovieMaze is available in the iTunes store and Android users can download here.
3. Kill Count 3: Get ready for "Kill Count 3," an annual collection of horror films on Crackle, the multi-platform entertainment network Click here to visit “Kill Count 3” on Crackle or check out the “Kill Count 3” Facebook sweepstakes: Daily Severed Head Giveaway for the chance to win a severed head prop....right in time for Halloween!
4. Endcrawl: Need help creating your film's final credits? It's worth checking out Endcrawl, a new web service for creating scrolling end credits. It's currently in beta, but you can find out more about it here.
5. Power to the Pixel: "If you are using the word 'transmedia,' you have wasted a lot of dollars on business card printing," Elan Lee, chief of design at Microsoft's Xbox Entertainment Studios, said in his keynote speech at "Power to the Pixel," now in its seventh year at the BFI London Film Festival. Read the full report (and 3 lessons for storytellers) from this year's Power to the Pixel.
Got tech news? Send story ideas and news tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.