by Peter Knegt
January 6, 2011 2:40 AM

Academy Narrows Visual Effects Race To Seven

A scene from "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World."

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that seven films remain in the running in the Visual Effects category for the 83rd Academy Awards. Oddly, the race will be narrowed down to five for the actual nominations (a new rule, as it's normally just three), leaving just two films off the below list. Omissions included "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader," "Clash of the Titans," "The Last Airbender," "Unstoppable" (they all made the previous finalist list of 15).

The films are listed below in alphabetical order:

"Alice in Wonderland"
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1"
"Hereafter"
"Inception"
"Iron Man 2"
"Scott Pilgrim vs the World"
"Tron: Legacy"

All members of the Visual Effects Branch will be invited to view 15-minute excerpts from each of the seven shortlisted films on Thursday, January 20. Following the screenings, the members will vote to nominate five films for final Oscar consideration.

The 83rd Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Tuesday, January 25, 2011, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

• Aaron | January 9, 2011 8:29 AMReply

It should be a battle between Inception and Scott Pilgrim for original use of Visual effects. But I fear the award will go to Tron Legacy because of all the publicity of it's "groundbreaking" effects - that may be true technically, but not artistically. Artistically, it's nothing that different that wasn't in the original Tron. Perhaps it could win Best Music Video?

@Sam: many critics would include Scott Pilgrim in that list. Many older critics haven't because they don't get the style of humour and speech, which for many Gen X and Y's feels very genuine.

• Sam Fragoso | January 7, 2011 12:40 AMReply

@Robert - I watched over 100 films released in 2010, what did you watch? Movie of the year? Scott Pilgrim? So your saying "The Social Network", "Inception", "127 Hours", "Waiting For Superman", "Winters Bone", "Black Swan", "Shutter Island, "The Kids Are All Right", "True Grit", "The King's Speech", "The Fighter", "Exit Through The Gift Shop", "The Town" "Get Low" "Toy Story 3" (list goes on and on) were not as significant as "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World". Hey, look. I understand your opinion (as stupid as it may be), but you should at least watch more then ten-twenty movies in a year to fully have an informed opinion.

@Jeff I'm really not all that angry. I'm just really confused on how we have so many teenagers who think "Scott Pilgrim" is the best film of the year. I understand person opinion, I understand some films feel more significant to you then others. But I suspect that most people who are praising "Scott Pilgrim" have not seen enough films to have a understandable or at least admirable opinion. That's all.

• TFunkah | January 6, 2011 10:15 AMReply

I'm going to side with Inception, Tron Legacy, and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Though, overall, without a doubt Tron was the best mainly because every aspect of the film was visually well crafted. I'm not saying that any of the other films did not contain great visuals, but Tron is a film based on visuals.

• Steven | January 6, 2011 8:55 AMReply

If Alice in Wonderland wins anything I've lost my faith in humanity.

@Sam: Those are some nice opinions you've got there, man.

• Robert | January 6, 2011 7:32 AMReply

Scott Pilgrim was the movie of the year, Sam. What movie did you watch?

• Jeff | January 6, 2011 7:24 AMReply

Relax, Sam.

• Sam Fragoso | January 6, 2011 6:02 AMReply

Look I'm a teenager. I'm going to say this upfront. "Scott Pilgrim" was good, not great, not fantastic and most certainly not amazing. Enough already. Seriously why is every teenager obsessed and getting so worked up over this film? It's like teenagers have found something to latch onto and it's the only film that have seen this year. Stop being ridiculous. Your making every other teenager out there who actually watches more then "popcorn flicks" look like idiots. Maybe for a second you can watch more movies then just ten in a year, you'd understand why they nominate other pictures. Oh and Inception deserves best special effects. Anyone who doubts needs to re-watch the film. "Hereafter" had ONE good special effect (tsunami) in the beginning. "Tron: Legacy" had solid effects, but the 3D was shit and Jeff Bridges', Clue looked God-awful. "Iron Man 2" understood what it was doing, however it does sometimes border with over-the-top sequences. Still Favreau is gifted. "Alice In Wonderlands" effects are overrated. Just because you combine multiple colors, doesn't mean it's "magical" art or best special effects worthy. "Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows" did a fantastic job. Combing dark visuals mixed with mystifying cinematography produced a winning hand. Last but not least "Inception". Take the opening scene; DiCaprio on the beach, towers fall. Look at the Eiffel tower being combined into two. Look at the city being bent in half. You give me a director who can produce more multi-layered and conceptual images and you have a winner. Oh wait .... we have Mr. Nolan. Let me do the honors. "And the winner is ........ Inception". Everyone who disagrees, I'm up for placing a bet. There you go, next time why don't you go actually see ALL the films listed in the category before you go ranting for "Scott Pilgrim".

• Ross Bragg | January 6, 2011 5:06 AMReply

Scott Pilgrim has the most original use of visual effects, Inception has the most subtle (in the sense that it wasn't OOOH CG EXPLOSIONS AND STUFF), and Tron: Legacy had the best design sense. It'll be interesting to see what goes where.

• Chris | January 6, 2011 4:32 AMReply

Well said, Sam. Pilgrim is VASTLY over-rated on almost every front, visual effects included. Not worthy of a nomination, not even close. But hats off they made it this far. I think the top 3 contenders are easily Inception, Alice and Tron. Don't be surprised if any one of these wins, though I think the favorite is clearly Inception, which would be well-deserved and my personal pick. Hereafter deserves a nomination, I think, even if most of the work comes in the first 15 minutes. And actually, there is a lot of seamless, invisible vfx throughout, not just the tsunami. 5th slot should be either Potter or Iron Man 2.

• Eric Gregs | January 6, 2011 4:09 AMReply

The work in Iron Man 2 is outstanding, glad to see they got their due. Tron was cool but the digital head/young Jeff Bridges was awful, I guess the cool vehicles helped get that one in there.

• Kathryn Mcmillan | January 6, 2011 3:52 AMReply

See everyone will pick tron and inception beacause they are obviously well made visualy, and porbably skimp out on Scott pilgrim thinking its just another teen movie, but if they sat and watched the whole movie through for the visuals, they would be amazed!!!

• Jen | January 6, 2011 3:43 AMReply

Everyone is going to say Inception or Tron. Forget that! Scott Pilgram was so more creative. I saw Scott Pilgram all the way!

• Michael | January 6, 2011 3:28 AMReply

Oh whats the point. Looking at the list its pretty clear that the winner is going to be Tron.