The seventh Berlinale Co-Production Market - running February 14-16, 2010 - will bring the producers and directors of 37 selected film projects from 22 countries together with 450 potential co-production and financial partners.
For each of these projects, the Berlinale Co-Production Market's team will arrange numerous thirty-minute one-on-one meetings with interested potential partners. Over 1,000 meetings in two days will be scheduled based on the needs of the projects and the individual requests of the participants.
At least two films that the Co-Production Market successfully assisted in the past years will be screening at the Berlinale 2010: the Iranian-German co-production "The Hunter" (directed by Rafi Pitts) has been selected for Competition, and Esmir Filho's feature debut "The Famous and The Dead" will be showing in the Generation 14plus programme.
Overall, the Berlinale Co-Production Market's success rate is impressive: 40% of the projects selected - that is, over 90 films - have already been completed.
The projects chosen for 2010 include works by award-winning directors such as Marco Bechis ("Garage Olimpo," "Birdwatchers"), Janosz Szasz ("Woyzeck," "The Witman Boys") or Andrey Zvyagintsev ("The Return," "The Banishment"). Out of 354 submitted projects, 23 feature projects with budgets between one and seven million euros have made it into the official selection. These projects are to be presented exclusively by producers with international experience; what's more, they must already have at least 30% of their financing in place. In collaboration with CineMart Rotterdam, three additional projects have been chosen for the "Rotterdam-Berlinale Express". They will participate in both the CineMart and the Berlinale Co-Production Market. With 267 submissions, this year has also seen a record number of entries in the "Talent Project Market", which is held in cooperation with the Berlinale Talent Campus. Eleven projects by newcomers will be presented within the scope of this event.
The Berlinale Co-Production Market is part of the European Film Market.
Projects selected for the Berlinale Co-Production Market (listed alphabetically by production company)
- Napoleon and Betsy (dir: Benjamin Ross), 2B Pictures, Great Britain
- The Inheritance (dir: Hiam Abbass), Alma Films, Israel/Mozer Films, Israel/Agat Films, France
- Storm/Kategida (dir: Harry Patramanis), Argonauts Productions, Greece/KinoElektron, France/4Letter Word, USA
- I, Anna (dir: Barnaby Southcombe), Arsam International, France/Embargo Films, Great Britain
- Perish (dir: Catherine Linstrum), Bright Pictures, Great Britain/Levain Film Development, Sweden
- Love and Other Troubles (dir: Samuli Valkama), Bronson Club, Finland
- In Embryo (dir: Ulrich Thomsen), Cine plus /Royal Pony Film, Germany
- Burning Heads (dir: George Siougas), CL Productions, Greece
- Liquid Roads (dir: Marco Bechis), Classic Srl, Italy
- Only Son (dir: Miel Van Hoogenbemt), Entre Chien et Loup, Belgium
- The Notebook (dir: Janos Szasz), Intuit Pictures, Germany
- The Future (dir: Alicia Scherson), Jirafa Films, Chile/Ulysses Films, Spain
- The Have-Nots (dir: Florian Hoffmeister), K5 Film, Germany
- Montana (dir: Stephan Streker), M.G. Productions, Belgium
- Cut Snake (dir: Tony Ayres), Matchbox Pictures, Australia
- My Dog, Killer (dir: Mira Fornay), Mirafox, Slovakia/Cineart TV Prague, Czech Republic
- Clara's War (dir: tba), Neue Bioskop Film, Germany/Corey Marr Productions, Canada
- My Sweet Orange Tree (dir: Marcos Bernstein), Passaro Films, Brazil
- Betlehem (dir: Yuval Adler), Pie Films, Israel
- The Shades (dir: Darrell James Roodt), Red Pill Productions, South Africa
- Towrz (dir: Faye Gilbert), The Bureau Film Company, Great Britain
- Invasion (dir: Dito Tsintsadze), Twenty Twenty Vision/Pallas Film, Germany
- The Testament (dir: Eduardo Ripari), Zarlek Producciones/Rizoma Films, Argentina
- Leather (dir: Alexey Balabanov), CTB Film Company, Russia
- Elena (dir: Andrey Zvyagintsev), Non-Stop Production, Russia
- El Rumano (dir: Florin Serban), Strada Film, Romania
Talent Project Market (listed alphabetically by Talent):
- Kin (writer/dir: Asitha Ameresekere), Great Britain
- Princesas Rojas (writer/dir: Laura Astorga), Costa Rica
- Lifelined (writer/dir: Basile Doganis), France
- My Sweet Euthanasia (writer/dir: Tal Granit), Israel
- Out of Time Man (writer/dir: Arne Kohlweyer), Germany
- Central Station (writer/dir: Amiel Livne), Israel
- I Am North (writer/dir/prod: Noah Pink), Canada
- The Samaritan (writer/dir: Odilon Rocha), Great Britain
- Gone, June (director: Brooke Sebold), USA
- Arcadia (writer/dir: Olivia Silver), USA
- Without Mercy (writer/dir: Thomas Wangsmo), Norway