by James Hiler
November 11, 2013 11:14 AM

Congrats to 'Canary in a Coal Mine,' Indiewire's Project of the Week!

Thanks to your votes, a film about life with M.E., the most prevalent and devastating disease your doctor has never heard of entitled "Canary in the Coal Mine" won this weekend's Project of the Week contest!

Congradulations to "Canary in the Coal Mine" and director Jennifer Brea. The filmmaker will receive a digital distribution consultation from SnagFilms and the film is now officially a candidate for Project of the Month. That winner will be awarded with a consultation from the Tribeca Film Institute.

Here's what the project's about:

"Canary In A Coal Mine" is the story of one of the worlds most prevalent, devastating, and misunderstood diseases. It follows Jennifer as she documents her own story and the stories of several extraordinary individuals struggling to find their way, fight, accept and sometimes even thrive in spite of "an illness that has no end." At its heart, the film asks: what does this illness signify about the world we live in and what do we all risk by ignoring the voices of the sick and the profoundly invisible? What could we all learn by paying attention to those voices?

• Nickolas V | December 12, 2013 10:08 PMReply

I'm voting for Canary in a Coal mine.

• Annika Danielsson | December 7, 2013 4:30 PMReply

Voting for Canary in a Coal mine.

• Nicole L. | December 7, 2013 4:05 AMReply

I'm voting for Canary in a Coal mine because of my CFS/ME too.

• Bobby and Tito Patri | December 6, 2013 1:13 AMReply

Canary in a Coal Mine is a very sad and at the same time very crucial film which definitely deserves to be the project of the week. This film certainly has our vote, absolutely.

• Alida G. | December 5, 2013 9:45 PMReply

I vote for Canary in a Coal Mine!

• Nancy Kleynowski | December 5, 2013 10:32 AMReply

As a CFS, Fibromyalgia sufferer, my vote goes to Canary in A Coal mine for the recognition of ALL the invisible diseases.

• mary milner | December 5, 2013 8:37 AMReply

I nominate canary in a coalmine because it is real, affects more people by the day and awareness needs to be raised about the devastation of ME, MCS etc.

• leelaplay | December 5, 2013 12:16 AMReply

canary in a coalmine gets my vote - brilliant film

• Carol MacDougall | December 4, 2013 10:08 PMReply

I vote for Canary in a Coalmine.

• Louise | December 4, 2013 8:59 PMReply

I vote for Canary in a Coal Mine.

• elaine ferriby | December 4, 2013 8:42 PMReply

my vote= canary in a coal mine

• paul greenwood | December 4, 2013 8:39 PMReply

my vote = canary in a coal mine

• Chada Hines | December 4, 2013 8:15 PMReply

My vote goes to Canary In a Coal Mine. Thank you Jennifer Brea for this great film.

• Annette | December 4, 2013 3:28 PMReply

My vote - Canary in a Coal Mine

• Frankie | December 4, 2013 4:11 AMReply

My vote goes to Canary in a Coal Mine

• Teresa | December 4, 2013 4:10 AMReply

My vote goes to Canary in a Coal Mine

• lemonfoundation | December 3, 2013 9:46 PMReply

VOTE --> CANARY! CANARY! CANARY!

- Dr. Lorraine Day was on Joyce Riley's military show THE POWER HOUR (9/12): "...HIV-Negative AIDS cases falsely reported and treated as CFS cases may be one of the biggest cover-ups we have seen."

- In 1992 "...Newsweek made an even more shocking announcement: …CFS patients who had the same immune system deficiencies as the NON-HIV AIDS cases..."

- Dr. Judy Mikovits stated on In Short Order (11/12) about CFS & Myalgic Encephalopathy (ME): "…consider this as NON HIV AIDS."

- Neenyah Ostrom's book "America's Biggest Cover-up: 50 More Things...CFS & Its Link To AIDS" cites: "Some CFS Patients May Be Non-HIV AIDS Cases."

- NON HIV AIDS has been censored from mainstream media since 1992 (i.e., suspiciously, the same year that the *very mysterious* Gulf War Syndrome (GWS) presented).

Will GWS, CFS or AIDS ever make any progress unless we acknowledge these horrific facts?

My case goes up through the NIH, CDC, White House, WHO, to the UN. I testified federally in Washington-DC, and am published 20 times on 4 continents.

Please make the madness --> STOP!

• Gail | December 3, 2013 9:40 PMReply

I vote for Canary in a Coal Mine

• Laura | December 3, 2013 9:32 PMReply

Been incapacitated and imprisoned by this wretched disease for 4 1/2 years. Go canary in the coal mine!!! Please awaken the dismissive, close-minded, naive medical establishment we've all had to endure for so long. I'm hopeful Canary will disseminate info to millions recruiting compassionate, courageous, open-minded, "think out of the box" doctors, willing to learn about this illness.

• David Stein | December 3, 2013 9:32 PMReply

My vote goes to Canary in a Coal Mine

• John C | December 3, 2013 8:06 PMReply

Canary in a Cole Mine!!

• Nancy Williams | December 3, 2013 8:00 PMReply

This is so important. My vote goes to Canary in a Coal Mine.

• Maxine | December 3, 2013 5:05 PMReply

I have been ill for 17 years with ME. The thought of being able to work again, walk for the sheer pleasure of it, spend time with loved ones without precipitating a multisystem relapse.... all this depends on society recognizing that we have a devastating and oft invisible disease that is desperate for treatment. Canary in a Coalmine promises to do just that. There are currently no FDA-approved treatments for this multisystem beast. I have lost lifelong friends, career, my role as a parent - all because of horrendous awareness and misinformation about this life-altering disease. Psychology Today wrote about ME patients as the "Terrorists of Health" - yet all patients want is appropriate biomedical diagnostics and treatment - not psychobabble. A severely polarized debate plays politics with our lives, while we languish bedbound and housebound. Meanwhile glimmers of hope: oncologists realizing that when ME patients get lymphoma, they come back begging for more chemo. WHO DOES THAT? A desperate and severely ill patient. Please help us come out of the shadows!

• scott | December 3, 2013 2:28 PMReply

Not sure how to vote. Very worthy cause. Will keep trying to figure out how to vote. I am currently bedridden with ME/CFS.

• Ellie Strand | December 3, 2013 2:15 PMReply

As someone who had to leave a career, friends and even family when I got sick, I am definitely voting for Canary in a Coal Mine!

• Jacqui | December 3, 2013 12:51 PMReply

I'd like to vote for this film as it is an issue which affects me very personally.

• ginny | December 3, 2013 11:39 AMReply

Yes! This!

• sharon | December 3, 2013 9:14 AMReply

Would love to see this film move forward.

• Richard Brock | December 3, 2013 5:36 AMReply