by Indiewire
June 18, 2012 12:02 PM

Congrats to Project of the Week "Der Samurai"!

"Der Samurai."

Thanks to your votes, the narrative about a policeman and his alter ego "Der Samurai" won this weekend’s Project of the Week contest!

Congratulations to “Der Samurai" director Till Kleinert. The filmmaker will receive a digital distribution consultation from SnagFilms and the film is now officially a candidate for Project of the Month.

Here's what the project is about:

DER SAMURAI tells a thrilling tale of fear, seduction and loss of control. Young village policeman Jakob finds his small world unhinged and shattered as one night an ominous, nameless stranger in a woman's dress emerges from the forest and commences a wave of irrational violence on the unsuspecting town. Desperately trying to stop the mysterious offender, Jakob finds his compulsively straight and dutiful self in constant danger of being infected with his opponent's madness. There is something about the 'Samurai' that strikes a hidden chord within him, threatening to unlock his own innermost demons...

More Projects of the Day coming this week. Want your project to be considered? Tell us all about it.

• Beverly Gan | February 21, 2013 1:09 PMReply

well you can cheat I think they did here! you can reset your cookies and there is no way to monitor someone's computer activity when they do that! if you reset your cookies and or shut off your router you can vote as many times as you want and that is definitely unfair!

• jon pountney | June 20, 2012 7:25 PMReply

you all lead miserable lives. There is a real world outside your computer.

• jim slade | June 19, 2012 2:24 PMReply

I don't get all the talk about cheating. I never read "one voice per person". When it's "one voice per computer" than it automatically implies "several votes per person" due to technical constraints. It's the same thing as if they would tell you at the voting booth that you may get another ballot paper somewhere else, if you wanted one. So, stop trolling around, please.

• CJ | June 19, 2012 5:17 AMReply

I guess we can all look to this http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/2004votefraud.html - the mother of all vote frauds!

• LARRY | June 18, 2012 8:19 PMReply

Jo, why would you be so defensive unless you were worried about being outed as a cheater? Your behavior on this board speaks volumes above any whispered allegations by anonymous posters.

• Jo | June 19, 2012 7:00 AM

if you really read my posts you would have seen that I indeed are not defensive.
    I'm not on anyones side, party, project. I love films, I really like indiewire and the
    project of the week is one of my favourites. I voted for Videofreaks ones, like 1x.
    Unfortunately not all my preferred films become the project of the week and thats
    fine.
    but what I dont like is if people who dont win the vote are stabbing afterwards and
    blame others for the same thing they did too. Tony put out an accusation which
    he still missing to proof. His accusation also included that he cheated but others
    cheated harder, which means he blames others for what he did himself too.
    then he put out that samurai hacked the poll, where I think the vote should be
    cancelled. when I googled on his advise I found out that you only need to delete
    the cookies from your browser. that doesnt need a hacker, everyone can do that.
    my granny can. but if its that easy and he knew about it, i have my doubts that
    he just wants to report a cheat, I think he's just frustrated.
    seeing the results which are not far from each other also contradict to his theory
    of them getting a vote whenever one of the others did. then samurai would have had
    by far more votes.
    I'm just not accepting every polemical comment and believe whatever gets posted.
    that's why I want to see proofs. I have my reasonable doubts to his story but I get
    attacked now for that. I don't think that's the way a discussion should work, do you?

• CJ | June 18, 2012 6:58 PMReply

clearly George Bush, the presidential election of 2009 was rigged and EVERYONE knows it!!

• CLAMBAKE | June 18, 2012 8:21 PM

There was no presidential election in 2009.

• jenna | June 18, 2012 5:34 PMReply

guys, get you brains in order. you can still find the results: samurai 374, zombie 351, video 348, wrestler 285. for me that means wrestler didn't cheat but everyone else.

• Jo | June 18, 2012 4:59 PMReply

yes, show us proofs! please! I'd like to see it! if you say that everytime they got a vote when another was voted for means that they won by far, like if the others get 20 each, the samurai must have had 60. can you publish that somewhere and post the link please!
    and if they have a hacker then indiewire must have been hacked, that would be seriously outrages. who is that guy?!
    please post that!

• jo | June 18, 2012 5:21 PM

So, I just google that. It says: "The Poll Services add a cookie and some additional data to your computer which prevents you from doing more than the prescribed votes (usually 1). But if you clear these cookies along with some data, then you can do more votes."
    that doesnt sound difficult, everyone can do that. maybe indiewire should switch their poll provider or so.

• Jo | June 18, 2012 5:12 PM

how can I send you my email address without publishing it here?

• TONY | June 18, 2012 5:06 PM

Indiewire doesn't run this poll, Polldaddy.com does. Google polldaddy hack and you'll see how easy it is to rig a poll if you have a background in programming.
    Provide me your email and I will send you screengrabs, though I think you'll know what they look like.

• Tony | June 18, 2012 4:53 PMReply

This isn't about someone voting twice from two computers since anyone could do that. While it may be against the rules the contest still remains a level playing field. Der Samurai was running an script that automatically added votes to their total whenever a vote was cast for one of the other films. One of the Samurais clearly has a background in computer programming. He was hacking the poll to ensure no one else would win. I spent hours watching the results of the poll. This irregularity has happened far too many times to be a mere coincidence. If you want proof I can provide you with notes and screen grabs dating back since Saturday morning. I hope the other winners of project of the week know what they're up against.

• molly | June 18, 2012 4:36 PMReply

so the excuse for cheating is that everyone does it? i don't believe that. there have to be honest people out there, and if there aren't any then indiewire should get rid of this feature. either way, the makers of samurai should apologize to the other three filmmakers.

• Jo | June 18, 2012 5:05 PM

but Tony said that "Just goes to show that you can win anything you want as long as you cheat hard enough."
    that means that everyone cheated. and how many votes did the others gain?
    and where is the connection of amount of friends and danger of being unfunded?
    can we see the results please? as far as I remember the zombie thing was very close to them, wasn't it? and unfortunately video was after that? results please!

• molly | June 18, 2012 4:57 PM

i am operating on the assumption that only samurai cheated because they won. if the others cheated then they would have won. simple? i can't understand how samurai can gain a hundred votes in an hour. do they have that many friends? then why is their project in danger of being unfunded? they have so much support but no one wants to give them money? it doesn't add up.

• Jo | June 18, 2012 4:49 PM

dear molly, why should they apologize to the others? they did the same as everyone else, assuming that Tony speaks the truth. but he is lacking proof so far. so far its an assumption, accusation. it's the same if i say that videofreaks cheated. and again, who says that voting from 2 computers is cheating? where does it say that? and who says that only videofreaks was truthfull and honest and automatically the one who wins wasnt?
    thats rediculous. so lets have the one win who didnt win or what? and the 2nd should apologize to the third and 4th because they have more votes which means they cheated?
    come on!

• Jo | June 18, 2012 4:07 PMReply

well, everyone loves their work and everyone wants to win and everyone tries everything possible.
    if you can vote per computer and not per person then that is what is possible.
    can't remember that it says "only ones per person" anywhere.
    I really want to see that Videofreaks because I have enough of all that horror bullshit zombie crap. I mean, seriously, again? another one? it didnt make it because more computers voted for samurai. I just think that we all have to accept that you can beat the system. you can't tell me that that Tony didnt double vote. I mean, how does he know? I think he's just frustrated. and pretty quiet now. so, move on and Go Videofreaks!

• LYNCHPIN | June 18, 2012 3:48 PMReply

If you had faith in your project would you really have to resort to such chicanery like ballot stuffing and using plants on a message board? I would expect this type of thing from Hollywood bigwigs, but thought independent filmmakers were a little more chivalrous.

• Ozlow | June 18, 2012 3:38 PMReply

I checked out all the projects. "Der Samurai" is clearly the most ambitious one and I am glad that it gets some regognition here. And about cheating: One can only vote once per computer. But YES, I voted for it from 2 different computers, because i think it's a cool project. If you want to call that cheating, I guess I'll have to live with it. I would call it support - and I'm sure all projects had their supporters.

• LYNCHPIN | June 18, 2012 3:54 PM

Yes, that is cheating. That's definition of ballot stuffing.

I don't understand your post. Do you want a reward for being dishonest?

• Jo | June 18, 2012 2:34 PMReply

I guess he/she is right, everyone cheats, he did, the others did but one did harder.
    He/she should just be above such thing.

• Paul | June 18, 2012 2:09 PMReply

how do you know how you can cheat? let me know because I'm handing in my project, too!!!

• Paul | June 18, 2012 2:22 PM

no seriously, I mean, if he says stuff like that then he knows how it works, probably never did it, right ;). I'd like to know.

• Tony Mahony | June 18, 2012 2:13 PM

just talk to me, mate, I have friends who have friends who can help you out. If you can pay the price...

• CJ | June 18, 2012 2:07 PMReply

I know George Bush in that presidential campaign !!!! I mean come on a second term! !!

• McT | June 18, 2012 2:05 PMReply

Please provide some hard proof before you go around making baseless accusations.

• tony | June 18, 2012 12:42 PMReply