by Indiewire
August 4, 2012 2:44 PM

Congratulations to 'Dear White People,' July's Project of the Month!

"Dear White People"

Congratulations to "Dear White People" director Justin Simien.  The project received the most votes to win July's Project of the Month.  The prize is a creative consultation from the Tribeca Film Institute.

If you’re a filmmaker (or know one) and you want us to consider an in-production film for our Project of the Day column, fill out the form here.

Remember when Black movies didn't neccesarily star a dude in a fat suit and a wig? Or have major plot twists timed to Gospel numbers for no apparent reason?

The humble producers of DEAR WHITE PEOPLE, a satire about being a black face in a white place, long to bring those days back.

The film follows four black students at a predominately white Ivy League where a popular "African American themed" party takes place. Through their unique perspectives the film tackles race identity in "post-racial" America while weaving a universal story of forging one's unique path in the world.

And take a look at the film's IndieGoGo video:

For more information on this project, visit its Project of the Day page.

• Jeri | September 11, 2012 12:10 PMReply

CONGRATS! WE NEED THIS! And to the haters, people have lives outside the internet, I'm a full time student and didn't have time to follow the end result. I just hoped that they won in the end because it would have the most social impact right now. Why can't people accept things can be won for black people fairly? Sore losers.

• Frutron | August 22, 2012 10:02 PMReply

I don't think white people are responsible for Tyler Perry.

• AfricaIsAContinent | August 10, 2012 12:07 AMReply

I am so happy for DWP. Congrats =)

• Justinitforthecookies | August 8, 2012 11:01 PMReply

Whoo! I hope the fans turn out like this when there's actually something important at stake.

• Kellie | August 7, 2012 4:32 PMReply

YAY! I'm so excited, I have been following the progress of this movie forever. Can't wait to tell everyone I know :)

• jessica | August 7, 2012 1:59 PMReply

Woooo congrats!!

• Bad math | August 7, 2012 11:03 AMReply

9000 votes and only 3 congrats comments? Maybe you should turn off the bot still spamming the poll's comments section and redirect it here.

• JUSTINITFORTHECOOKIES | August 8, 2012 11:00 PM

Point being: Conflict gets people riled up. They just wanted to win. No one cares about the actual result. Frankly, there's nothing great about it, just a page with the movie's title calling it "Project of the Month." I thought there'd be, you know, interview with the creators, new content, something, but I, like others, was taken in by the level of fervor. If people could have just shut up and voted for their movie, none of that foolishness would have happened. Then again, people shutting up is really not the internet's "thing."

• Not a hater | August 7, 2012 10:58 PM

It's not about hating, it's about there is actually a bot spamming the comments in small clusters on the poll thread. Just look and you'll see it. Congrats to DWP, but still the comments thing is glaringly obvious.

• JSmith | August 7, 2012 6:15 PM

Awwwww.... the Haters always make me laugh. Two thumbs up for DWP!

• Lee | August 6, 2012 12:40 AMReply

:D awww yiiis, so happy this won because you def deserve it :)

• Jen | August 6, 2012 12:25 AMReply

Go DWP!

• Cate | August 5, 2012 1:28 PMReply

Congratulation, guys! I'm really happy for you!