by Peter Knegt
April 2, 2012 3:21 PM

Did The 2012 Cannes Competition Lineup Just Get Leaked?

"Laurence Anyways"
The internet is abuzz with an alleged leak from the Cannes Film Festival that saw a list of 24 films apparently making up its official 2012 competition listed on the official Cannes site and then quickly removed.

The list is now making the rounds, having been re-posted on French blog Blog du Festival de Cannes.

There's been considerable skepticism about whether or not it's legitimate, most notably because there's still nearly 3 weeks before Cannes is set to announce the lineup (on April 19th) and that the festival is said to still be screening films. This suggests there's no way a competition lineup could be near complete.

There's also a few films in the leak many have suggested will not be ready for Cannes, such as Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master" and Terrence Malick's untitled Ben Affleck-Rachel McAdams romance (officially listed as "The Burial" on the leak). Alternatively, Walter Salles' "On The Road" and Michael Haneke's "Love" -- which many have predicted would be in competition -- are nowhere to be seen.

UPDATE: Cannes general delegate and artistic director Thierry Frémaux has said that the leak was "all lies" and that the selection is not complete.

Either way, it's sure fun to look at the list.  Here's the films that were included on the "leak":

APRES LA BATAILLE Yousry Nasrallah
BIG HOUSE Matteo Garrone
THE BURIAL Terrence Malick
COSMOPOLIS David Cronenberg
DE ROUILLE ET D’OS Jacques Audiard
ELEFANTE BIANCO Pablo Trapero
GEBO ET L’OMBRE Manoel de Oliveira
LE GRAND SOIR Gustave Kervern et Benoit Delépine
IL EST DIFFICILE D’ETRE UN DIEU Alexei Guerman
IN ANOTHER COUNTRY Hong Sangsoo
THE LAND OF HOPE Sono Sion
LAURENCE ANYWAYS Xavier Dolan
A LIAR’s AUTOBIOGRAPHY & THE TRUE STORY OF MONTY PYTHON’S GRAHAM CHAPMAN Bill Jones, Jeff Simpson & Ben Timlett
MAIN DANS LA MAIN Valérie Donzelli
THE MASTER Paul Thomas Anderson
MISHIMA (provisional title) Koji Wakamatsu
MOONRISE KINGDOM Wes Anderson
NO Pablo Larrain
PIAZZA FONTANA Marco Tullio Giordana
A PIGEON SAT ON A BRANCH REFLECTING ON EXISTENCE Roy Andersson
THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES Derek Cianfrance
PROVIZORIU Cristian Mungiu
RHINOS SEASON Bahman Ghobadi
STOKER Park Chan-wook

Check out Indiewire's list of films we hope get into Cannes here.

• Reini Urban | April 12, 2012 2:42 PMReply

Not bad list, better than the real list probably. But the omission of sure Haneke's Amour and the third Andersson clearly makes for a good joke. Master is not ready, but who knows.
    The real list currently has for sure 4 free slots at this time.

• Maria | April 4, 2012 1:44 PMReply

The film I'm most looking forward to is Canadian Xavier Dolan's Laurence Anyways. Go Dolan!!! I hope both he and Melvil Poupaud, the protagonist, win the main prizes.

• Isold | April 3, 2012 2:32 PMReply

Are they sure they want to program all of those women directors?

• Maria | April 4, 2012 10:49 AM

Indeed, all men, aside from Valérie Donzelli...

• BD | April 3, 2012 10:22 AMReply

No Rust and Bone, No Amour, No One The Road.... hmmmm :/

• James | April 3, 2012 5:18 AMReply

You had me at ELEFANTE BIANCO. Very excited by the prospect of STOKER too.

• Sarah | April 3, 2012 2:28 AMReply

If this was supposed to be a list of films in competition, then it's definitely a fake. Unless they have suddenly decided to make Moonrise Kingdom a competition film and not just the opener.

• Sue | April 2, 2012 9:35 PMReply

They have me at Paul Thomas Anderson. Hope this list is legit. 2012 looks like a great year for movies.

• Chris138 | April 2, 2012 7:40 PMReply

Premiering two Malick films in a row at Cannes sounds too good to be true, so this list is probably bogus.

• Bobby D | April 2, 2012 6:40 PMReply

Wow what an enormous list of great filmmakers--Terence Malick, PT Anderson, Wes Anderson, David Cronenberg, Jacques Audiard...looking forward to this line up!

• AS | April 2, 2012 5:38 PMReply

I hope this isn't real. Apart from The Master, Cosmopolis and The Place Beyond the Pines, this is a pretty boring list.

• AS | April 3, 2012 10:30 AM

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Asian cinema so most of those directors do not interest me. It's not like I'm close minded, I always watch whatever the most buzzed about Japanese film or Korean film is, I just have yet to be impressed. And I like Wes Anderson, and I'll see Moonrise Kingdom, but I'm not so thrilled about him tackling another kids movie. I'll take The Life Aquatic or The Royal Tenenbaums any day.

• Huffy | April 3, 2012 5:42 AM

You either have narrow taste or need to watch more movies. Manoel de Oliveira, Hong Sang-soo, Shion Sono, Jacques Audiard, Wes Anderson, Roy Andersson, Park Chan-wook, Koji Wakamatsu...the amount of big names and great directors here is astounding. Tons of diversity too.

• Ted | April 2, 2012 5:02 PMReply

I thought the Malick film producers already said that "The Burial" isn't the name of the film, in which case it's hard to imagine he decided to adopt the title. Plus, Haneke is obviously going to Cannes. Every film of his post-1997 (with the exception of the English-languaged Funny Games remake) has premiered at Cannes. This list seems obviously fake.

• paul | April 2, 2012 4:00 PMReply

If Roy, Wes, and PT Anderson all have films in the competition, I am going again this year.

• Thomasi | April 2, 2012 3:56 PMReply

How could this list be real? Shane Carruth's "Upstream Color" isn't on it.

• Mel | April 2, 2012 3:52 PMReply

Things don't just "get" leaked.

So what gives?

• Aaron | April 2, 2012 3:48 PMReply

I'd be surprised if this were real. I've been hearing that PTA's movie might not even be called "The Master" anymore. Also, there's no way Haneke won't be in the competition...he's a Cannes staple.

• Leonardo | April 2, 2012 8:32 PM

IT still sounds great the list, but yeahit's weird that Haneke isn't on the list, maybe he is still editing the movie?

• jimbo | April 2, 2012 3:40 PMReply

this is not an accurate list.