by Nigel M Smith
March 28, 2011 5:21 AM

Ed Burns' Latest Set to Close 10th Tribeca Film Festival

Edwards Burns' latest New York romp "Newlyweds" will close this year's Tribeca Film Festival, it was announced today.

"Newlyweds" marks Burns' sixth film to premiere at the event, now in its 10th year. Written, directed by and starring Burns, "Newlyweds" tracks a newly wedded couple whose honeymoon is disrupted by the arrival of the husband's wild sister and the wife's needy sister. Shot mostly in and around Tribeca, the film's cast includes Caitlin Fitzgerald, Max Baker, Marsha Dietlein Bennett and Kerry Bishé.

"There is no better way to close this year’s festival than with this film, 'Newlyweds' by Edward Burns," said Nancy Schafer, Executive Director of TFF. "He is one of Tribeca’s best friends. He lives in our community, and this film, which is exceptional and may very well be his best, was both shot in the neighborhood and captures the zeitgeist of a community and its relationships that is intimate and fun and so true. Closing night will be like coming home for all of us."

Burns added, "Tribeca is my home in every sense—it’s where I live, and it’s also the place where I have been so proud to show my work. And from the beginning, the Festival has been a wonderful place for me to showcase my films and enjoy the kinds of conversations that I love as a filmmaker and a New Yorker."

The 10th annual Tribeca Film Festival will take place from April 20 through May 1, 2011.

• jeanvigo | March 29, 2011 7:40 AMReply

I still find it one of the most mystifying things in American indie cinema: 16 years after the slight mediocrity "The Brothers McMullen," Ed Burns is STILL making films - and i doubt they cost less than 7 figures - and taking up coveted spots at growing fests like Tribeca, sending them backwards.

I think an investigative doc should be in the making: how has this filmmaker managed to survive? Where does the money come from? Are his projects returning profits? Herein lie the answers to making films on your terms while stinking at it. What a great golden key of knowledge this would shed light on....

• MIke Muscillo | March 28, 2011 10:04 AMReply

Let's hope this film closes his career. He stinks. One of his many problems is that he makes the same film over and over again.

• George Ratliff | March 28, 2011 9:35 AMReply

The point of PR is to be invisible -- when not creating news for harmless things like Ed Burns' film, they are doing things like green-washing the nuclear energy industry (almost worked) or polishing up Muammar el-Qaddafi’s image (was also working). I say the more times this multi-billion dollar invisible industry is called out, the better.

So thanks Brandon.

• Rick Mo | March 28, 2011 9:22 AMReply

And guess what? This is how most publications do it...even the vaunted NY Times!

• Muffy | March 28, 2011 8:34 AMReply

Dearest Brandon,

Color me ignorant but I had NO idea it was a crime to repost the news. I mean WOW!

What. A. Surprise.

The writer is simply posting the information from a press release, not claiming he wrote or interviewed any of the mentioned persons in the article. Why you feel it necessary to berate him for simply re-posting the news is pathetic.

Perhaps you were recently laid off from a PR firm?

Jealousy isn't a good look on anyone, my dear. Not even you.

Kisses,

Muffy Feinberg

• BrandonJudell | March 28, 2011 7:06 AMReply

That's great that someone can attach his name to a mild rewrite of a press release, but shouldn't it be the PR person's, after all he or she did all the work?

Here's the original:

New York, NY – March 28, 2011 – The Tribeca Film Festival (TFF), presented by American Express, announced today it will close its 10th edition with the world premiere of Edward Burns’ Newlyweds. The film will premiere Saturday, April 30, at BMCC TPAC.

Newlyweds is the tenth film written and directed by Ed Burns and the sixth to premiere at TFF. Burns, who wrote, directed and stars in Newlyweds, has had a strong connection with TFF since its founding. Ash Wednesday world premiered as part of the inaugural TFF lineup in 2002, and Looking for Kitty, Purple Violets and Nice Guy Johnny have also been Festival premieres over subsequent years.

The film, shot almost exclusively in New York City’s TriBeCa neighborhood, is a chronicle of modern marriage, pointing out an essential truth: When you get married, you’re not just getting a husband or wife—you’re getting the family, the friends, and even the exes. With crackling humor and sharp insights into contemporary relationships, Burns tracks a newly wedded couple whose honeymoon period is upended by the arrival of the husband’s wild-child baby sister and the crumbling marriage of the wife’s meddlesome sister. The cast includes Burns, Caitlin Fitzgerald, Max Baker, Marsha Dietlein Bennett and Kerry Bishé. Burns produced the film with producing partner Aaron Lubin and William Rexer. Mike Harrop served as executive producer.

“There is no better way to close this year’s festival than with this film, Newlyweds by Edward Burns,” said Nancy Schafer, Executive Director of TFF. “He is one of Tribeca’s best friends. He lives in our community, and this film, which is exceptional and may very well be his best, was both shot in the neighborhood and captures the zeitgeist of a community and its relationships that is intimate and fun and so true. Closing night will be like coming home for all of us.”

“Tribeca is my home in every sense—it’s where I live, and it’s also the place where I have been so proud to show my work,” said Burns. “And from the beginning, the Festival has been a wonderful place for me to showcase my films and enjoy the kinds of conversations that I love as a filmmaker and a New Yorker.”