by Alison Willmore
May 13, 2013 2:22 PM

Fox is Bringing '24' Back as a Limited Summer Series in 2014

Kiefer Sutherland in '24' Fox
Why bother to try out a new idea when you have all these trusty used ones lying around? While the promise of a "24" movie has been kicked around since the real-time TV series ended in 2010, Fox announced today that it would in fact be returning as a 12-episode summer show called "24: Live Another Day" in 2014. Kiefer Sutherland will be reprising his role as Jack Bauer, reuniting with showrunner Howard Gordon (who's been occupied with "Homeland" since "24" ended) for the limited series.

That's right, 12 episodes, though the announcement promises that the event series will both retain the real time format and style of the original's run while having those episodes representing 24 hours. What does that mean? Will the episodes be two hours long, or will the series only show every other hour, leaving the audience to infer what happened in between? Who knows! "Live Another Day" will be set several years after the events of the final season.

"Jack Bauer has always been an exciting, thrilling character, and I confess that I've missed him. I think the audience has too," said Gordon, who also serves as the show's executive producer, in the press release. "The character has evolved through the years, and this new and exciting event series format is perfect to tell the next chapter of his story and continue to reflect how the world is changing. Fans can rest assured that the Jack they know and love will be back." Jack might be pleased to learn that primetime TV's grown accustomed to torture in his downtime, with Guillermo Díaz playing a lovable former wet worker on "Scandal" and Alfie Allen's Theon Greyjoy presently getting his bits methodically hacked off on "Game of Thrones."

"24: Live Another Day" is produced by 20th Century Fox Television, Imagine Television and Gordon's Teakwood Lane Productions. The original series was created by Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran.

• mary taylor | January 17, 2014 2:22 PMReply

Thats great I cant wait that was the greatest show and they leave it on too just like they ahoild bring back the Unit too

• Donna | June 16, 2013 6:59 PMReply

Best show ever! It makes me sit on the edge of my chair the entire show! I want more, more, more! Please keep them coming!

• Angelika | June 12, 2013 10:47 PMReply

yes thank you so much!! i miss jack!! i hope he will finally get to be with kim and terri !!!

• david | May 23, 2013 4:08 AMReply

24 The best TV show ever! THANK-YOUS ALL!

• Jason | May 15, 2013 1:59 AMReply

Did I mention im excited. .....

• Jason | May 15, 2013 1:57 AMReply

I cant finally believe it.....jacks back and im sooo ready for some ass whooping. Im so excited

• Judy | May 14, 2013 8:55 PMReply

Love it !Love it! Love it! Best show ever!!!

• Pam | May 14, 2013 4:17 PMReply

This is GREAT news!! I need Jack Bauer to save my world!! : )

• sandy | May 14, 2013 10:42 AMReply

thanks for bringing 24 back it was the best show ever

• Jeff | May 14, 2013 8:06 AMReply

Frankly, I don't know precisely why they took the series off the air in the first place--stick with what works!! This was perhaps the most innovative, exciting, thought provoking show since M*A*S*H -- nothing else on TV now compares to this show.

• Christine | May 13, 2013 11:57 PMReply

This news has just made my night!!!! Oh...how I have missed this show.