by Dana Harris
January 11, 2012 6:39 PM

Fox Searchlight Gives 'Margaret' an 11th-Hour Oscar Push

Oscar ballots are due tomorrow at 5 p.m., but as LA Weekly reported, Fox Searchlight has booked Kenneth Lonergan's long-delayed, virtually ignored "Margaret" for a one-week run at the Cinefamily in Los Angeles, along with sending screeners to all Academy members and making star Anna Paquin available for interviews.

As Indiewire's Reel Politik reported last month, "Margaret" also had a one-week run in New York's Cinema Village. However, that wasn't initiated by Searchlight, but by the theater. Said booker Ed Arentz, "I booked it because I missed it, and figured there were plenty like me that wanted to see it." The film is now going into its fourth weekend in New York.

In Indiewire's 2011 Criticwire poll, "Margaret" came in at #9. The film also benefited from an online petition as well as a Twitter hashtag,#teammargaret. Wrote freelance critic Mike D'Angelo, "People just flat-out refused to let that movie die, even after the initial wave of deeply misguided reviews all but buried it. We dragged its bloody, comatose form into the year-end conversation by sheer force of will, fueled by nothing more than passion."

So, we're curious: Have you seen "Margaret," or wish that you could? Do you think it deserves the fuss?

TAGS: Margaret

• Angela | January 12, 2012 9:50 PMReply

As a fan of Kenneth Lonergan's only previous movie, I would really have liked to get the opportunity to see it. The movie itself may or may not have been worth the very, very long wait, and perhaps it will be overshadowed by the controversy and everything that went on behind-the-scenes, but I wish I could've at least judged for myself. The studio's dismissal of Margaret was disappointing, so I'm glad to see that it's getting some support.

• love | January 12, 2012 1:45 AMReply

The best club for seeking H O T  singles,hot and sexy beauties.
    Join it right now and have fun…Seek lovers on -- 【m i x e d singles. C ○ M】 --, a nice club for tall people to date.why not have a try?

• love | January 12, 2012 1:45 AMReply

WOW,,My friend just told me a person'als place where you can meet success'ful rich men, classy mature women, rich women looking for marriage, or just meet beautiful friends and singles. Good luck! :)-- click on (Mix ed Sin gle.. С'⊙M )-You can't believe me,but,,It's worthy a try.

• Daniel Sarath | January 11, 2012 8:33 PMReply

Margaret is an American masterpiece that has sadly been tosses aside by Fox Searchlight. It's great to see the film is finally getting the Oscar push it deserves. In a perfect world, it'd receive numerous nods.

• Marshall | January 11, 2012 8:20 PMReply

I mean, it would be cool if people outside of New York and Los Angeles could even have an opinion on this. But it seems stuck to these two cities.

• Mike | January 11, 2012 11:47 PM

Yeah, I wish I could see it too. Or at least they should release it on home video soon.