by Chris Pomorski, Bryce J. Renninger, & Erin Whitney
July 15, 2013 2:19 PM

You're Welcome: Here's the Indiewire Guide to the Best Perks From 40 State Film Commissions

Image created with a photo from Flickr user Ricardo Diaz.

Need access to a 3,000-acre historical backlot that features a farm, wharf, sailing ship, river, and more? Virginia's got that. Need to shoot a river scene, but also want to control said river? Go to West Virginia's Gauley River in November. Looking for railroads for a period piece? Essex Valley Railroad and the Railroad Museum of North America, both in Connecticut, may be your ticket.

We've asked all the commissions about their financial perks, tax credits, locations, studios, soundstages, and labor unions, so you don't have to dig around their websites searching for the information.

Indiewire got in touch with the representatives of the state film commissions and has compiled a list of each of their resources, including photos of some of their best locations. Looking to film in Rhode Island? Interested in the cash rebates in Mississippi? Searching for that perfect barn to fit your script? Our state film commission guide is a great start! Check out the individual state profiles below.

Note: Not all states chose to participate, and some states, like Arizona and Iowa, don't have government offices to deal with film productions.

Full List (click the state to view individual profile):

Alabama

Alaska

Arizona has no state film commission anymore, but here's info for the Tucson Film Office

California

Utah

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wyoming

• CFA Weiss | April 1, 2014 1:21 PMReply

Sorry for the multi post. Things froze on this end, so I thought. Turns out clicking the post button a few times when the screen looks frozen is a bad idea.

• CFA Weiss | April 1, 2014 1:17 PMReply

I came across this article again & wondered if you will be writing up another listing like it? If so, be sure to add Delaware. No tax. The price of things are exactly what they are priced at. There are also many wonderful locations from city's, to beaches, to farm land, modern to early 1800's and even older then that in some places. There is also a talented group of crew, actors, and actresses that are well connected to the surounding states and many groups and organizations. There isn't much of a film office. However the locals know who and what to do to make projects happen. I would be happy to answer any questions. Tweet me @CFAweiss

• CFA Weiss | April 1, 2014 1:17 PMReply

• CFA Weiss | April 1, 2014 1:17 PMReply

• CFA Weiss | April 1, 2014 1:16 PMReply

• CFA Weiss | April 1, 2014 1:16 PMReply

• CFA Weiss | April 1, 2014 1:16 PMReply

• CFA Weiss | April 1, 2014 1:16 PMReply

• CFA Weiss | April 1, 2014 1:16 PMReply

• CFA Weiss | April 1, 2014 1:16 PMReply

• CFA Weiss | April 1, 2014 1:14 PMReply

• CFA Weiss | April 1, 2014 1:14 PMReply

• CHRIS KRANG | July 17, 2013 5:56 PMReply

Arkansas:

Economic Impact of the Industry
    The motion picture and television industry is responsible for 1,890 direct jobs and $63.8 million in wages in Arkansas, including both production and distribution-related jobs. 500 of the jobs are production-related.

Movie & TV Production Spotlight
    2010-2011: During the course of 2010 and 2011, 4 movies and 1 TV series filmed in the state. Movies include Mud, Then the Night Comes, The Last Ride, and Step Away from the Stone. TV series include 19 Kids & Counting.
    Production Incentive:
    The Digital Product and Motion Picture Industry Development Act of 2009 created incentives for digital product and motion picture productions. The incentives include a 15% rebate on all qualified production expenditures made in Arkansas.

Please visit ArkansasProduction.com for more information.

• Danette Tull | July 16, 2013 12:08 AMReply

Nevada Film Office . Www.nevadafilm.com

• Danette Tull | July 16, 2013 12:07 AMReply

Nevada Film Office . Www.nevadafilm.com

• Danette Tull | July 16, 2013 12:07 AMReply

Nevada Film Office . Www.nevadafilm.com

• tod hardin | July 15, 2013 6:04 PMReply

Your link for Michigan goes to Mass.

• anonymous | July 15, 2013 5:14 PMReply