by Indiewire
August 18, 2011 2:53 AM

indieWIRE's Project of the Day: Growing Up with a Coke-Smuggling Dad

Art from Zak Forsman's "Down & Dangerous."

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

"Down and Dangerous"

Tweetable Logline:

A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.

Elevator Pitch:

An inventive and resourceful smuggler defends himself against violent rival traffickers, a monstrous and vengeful killer, and the DEA agents who want to lock him up – all while falling for a stunningly beautiful woman for whom he would risk it all.

Production Team:

Director/Writer: Zak Forsman
Production Company: The Sabi Company
Producers: Kevin K. Shah & Zak Forsman
Music: Deklun
Editor: Jamie Cobb
Cast: John T. Woods, Paulie Rojas, Ross Marquand

About the Film:

"My dad had a career in the cocaine trade as an independent smuggler. He pulled off a dozen smuggles that were so ingenious that the person carrying the load always had an out. He was uniquely principled for this line of work, always putting people first. His adventures and life lessons serve as the creative spark behind this new movie. I want to take this deep inspiration and grow as a storyteller, making a movie with intense authenticity that is fun, entertaining, full of action, drama, romance and wit – a motion picture that would make my father proud." -- Zak Forsman

Current Status:

Pre-production.

For more information and to support the film:

Kickstarter Page
Film Website

Be sure to check out our curated Kickstarter page for more information on projects we think you should check out.

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming iW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form!

• Konrad Stief | August 19, 2011 1:12 AMReply

I backed this project as I am familiar with the working methods, team spirit and film talents of all concerned with Down And Dangerous. When I see genuine talent as demonstrated on their previous films I was quick to help with my contribution to the Sabi family. I honestly believe John T. Woods is an acting talent who will achieve mainstream success in the film industry and director Zak Forsman will honor his promise as a personal filmmaker and expand upon the crime thriller genre with his unique vision.

• Stephen Simons | August 18, 2011 6:01 AMReply

This is the first I am seeing of this project! Looks very interesting and it looks as though they've had great success on their campaign so far. I hope they meet their goal, because I'd like to see this film. I looked up John T. Woods, as he was familiar to me, and realized there were actually a few things I knew him from. Lots of talent surrounding this project, it looks like. I shall be following closely what they are doing over there at The Sabi Company. Cheers!

• Robyn Maria Hamlin | August 18, 2011 5:07 AMReply

I decided to back the Sabi Company and Zak Forsman because I believe in Zak's abiltiy to bring this project to the Screen in both a powerful and dynamic way! I love the passion that he exhibits when describing his father's career. And what's interesting for me is the fact that he so often notes why he elaborates on drawing from these experiences and the importance of infusing them into the filmmaking process. I am more than confident that with Zak's vision and an A-list cast and crew, his endeavors will once again lead to cinematic excellence!

• Sylvia | August 18, 2011 4:14 AMReply

I supported this project through Kickstarter because John T. Woods is one of those actors you see all the time, but you don't know his name. It's time more people know him, and there's no better way than with director Zak Forsman and Sabi Co who have tirelessly micro-marketed this passionate project.

• Ian | August 18, 2011 4:02 AMReply

So excited that these guys are getting press - I met the Sabi crew at the deadCENTER Film Festival in 2010, and they're an-almost-annoyingly-talented group of people. Very excited to see how this turns out.