by Nigel M Smith
August 23, 2013 11:56 AM

Kentucky Theater Won't Screen 'Lee Daniels' The Butler' Because of Jane Fonda

Jane Fonda

"Lee Daniels' The Butler" has proven to be a surprise hit at the box-office, but that hasn't stopped one theater from refusing to play the film. As reported in The Hollywood Reporter, a central Kentucky theater owner won't show the potential Oscar contender because of star Jane Fonda, who plays former first lady Nancy Reagan in the film.

Ike Boutwell, who owns MoviePalace and Showtime Cinemas in Elizabethtown, trained pilots during the Vietnam War, a war that Fonda famously opposed.

In an interview with The News-Enterprise, Boutwell said his ban doesn't solely apply to "The Butler," but against any film starring Fonda, a woman he views as a traitor to America. "I trained hundreds of pilots to fly, many of whom Ms. Fonda clapped and cheered as they were shot down," he said.

This isn't the first time Fonda's casting has caused a stir. Last Friday, four military veterans protested her role in the film.

But according to Fonda, the former first lady's friends have had kind things to say about the role.

• the sayer of the truth | August 25, 2013 7:41 PMReply

But Carol, dont you respect 'The Truth' ?. Otis, Teddy, and Willy were simply being 'Truthful' ! ! !, why do people pretend to be more interested in all that other nonsense when all they`re really thinking about is Janes arse, twat, and tits ! ! !.

• cAROL | August 25, 2013 6:41 PMReply

Really!!! When my sister from OK told me a friend of hers said they probably would not show it in Ok because of the controversy in Kentucky, I said "WHAT!!!" Its about civil rights and an an amazing person who served I don't know how many presidents.!" When she told me it was about Jane Fonda and the Viet NaM War, more than 50 yrs ago, I was appaled. She does not even have a starring role, it is really a bit part, but so what? Is it really about Jane, or some Kentuckyites (sp) probably a small portion, in whatever town this is, OR is it really about the Civil Rights era depicting how it was?? Open your minds people. And please, we can do without the sexual comments about how hot Jane is
    I can/t believe there are still such small minding people. Thank God I live in Connecticut where people think!

• otis rampaging heterosexuality | August 24, 2013 6:35 PMReply

Jane Fonda is still a gorgeous bird at 75, i wouldn`t mind poking my knob up her bum, i bet the bird`ll still be desirable when shes 100 ! ! !.

• teddy crescendo | August 24, 2013 6:31 PMReply

Willy my man, thanks for being honest and being the only person to tell the truth about what was really going on in your mind with regards to Jane Fonda, as opposed to all the politically oriented bull-shit that everyone else was wasting their time refering to.

• willy jerk-off | August 24, 2013 6:24 PMReply

I desperately want to perform literally every concievable and possible sex-act in the known universe on Jane Fonda (as the bird was in 1955 when the bird was 18, not as the bird is now obviously ! ! !).

• CinemaPsycho | August 24, 2013 12:36 AMReply

I find it hard to believe that most Kentucky rednecks would want to see this movie anyway, regardless of whether Jane Fonda was in it or not.

Perhaps someday certain people will finally stop believing the myth of Jane Fonda betraying POW's, which has been proven to be untrue years ago. But I doubt it, as some people just refuse to care about facts when they get in the way of their own prejudices.

• Jon Stevens | August 24, 2013 12:09 AMReply

Jane Fonda is a disgrace to our country, and a traitor, now if you'll excuse me, I have to buttfuck the amercan flag.

• Jim Beaver | August 23, 2013 7:15 PMReply

I'm a Vietnam vet. Marine infantryman. I think Fonda may have been naive, even stupid. But she's no traitor. She did what she did out of love of country, misguided or not. And she did not betray POWs, as the Snopes article (including testimony from actual POWs) makes clear, though I'm not allowed to post the link here.

Boycotting a film because of one actor also boycotts the work of all the other actors, directors, writers, carpenters, camera operators, grips, food service people, and others who made the film and who depend for their livings on its success. This is misdirected vengeance, even if the target deserved it.

Oh, and Nancy Reagan enthusiastically approved Fonda to play her.

• Jim Beaver | August 24, 2013 4:41 AM

I am, and thank you for your kind words.

• CinemaPsycho | August 24, 2013 12:40 AM

Thank you, Mr. Beaver, for your intelligent and well-written words. If you are the actor of the same name, I am a fan of your work and I appreciate your service.

• Hermadite | August 23, 2013 6:30 PMReply

In 1964 I interviewed Jane Fonda in the VIP Room of Chicago's PLAYBOY Club for 2 hours on my nightly radio talk show. That week alone I had spent 2 hr. sessions with Hugh Hefner, Vicki Carr, Keith richards, Rod Serling, Helen Gurley Brown, Shel Silverstein and other celebrities of that period. Ms. Fonda turned out to be a real Jay Lo! First, she was high on something (probably booze in those days), the mike was in the center of a small table and she was able to reach underneath and play with my legs, very seductively. I barely managed to maintain my composure! But it was a great session and I still have it all on tape.

• yoink | August 23, 2013 5:40 PMReply

I've got to wonder if this theater owner refused to show any of her prior recent films like "Georgia Rule" or the one with Jennifer Lopez ("Mother-in-law"?). Cuz if not, then this clearly isn't just about Fonda, but Fonda plus a lot of black people.

• MDL | August 23, 2013 5:21 PMReply

Alan Rickman as Reagan! John Cusack as Nixon? Robin Williams as Dwight D Eisenhower! Surely, these are better reasons to ban this movie!

• Ray Porter | August 23, 2013 3:58 PMReply

Rednecks and their ignorance get so tiresome.

• Jon stevens | August 23, 2013 3:42 PMReply

Jane Fonda is the scum of the earth traitor & to see her in this film is an outrageous insult to all who served in Vietnam. Her casting is beneath contempt. I wouldn't see this film even if a gun was held to my head. Her casting is a slap in the face & a disgrace to every American, and indicates how low it's mercenary filmmakers stooped to draw attention to this film. I condemn the casting of this miserable parasite traitor as unforgivable & deplorable.

• yoink | August 23, 2013 5:41 PM

We heard you the first time. Repeating your comment over and over just makes you seem a bit...hysterical.

• Jon stevens | August 23, 2013 3:41 PMReply

• Jon stevens | August 23, 2013 3:41 PMReply

• Larry McConnell | August 23, 2013 9:32 PM

And where were you, o super patriotic American during the conflict? Which service did you volunteer for?

• Floyd Webb | August 23, 2013 3:59 PM

Mr. Steven's does the word TROLL mean anything to you.

• Jon stevens | August 23, 2013 3:40 PMReply

Jane Fonda is the scum of the earth traitor & to see her in this film is an outrageous insult to all who served im vietnam. her casting is beneath contempt. I wouldn't see this film even if a gun was held to my head. Her casting is a slap in the face & a disgrace to every American, and indicates how low it's mercenary filmmakers stooped to draw attention to this film. I condemn the casting of this miserable parasite traitor as unforgivable & deplorable.

• CinemaPsycho | August 24, 2013 12:44 AM

Don't see it then. No one cares. No one is interested in what you see or don't see. The film is obviously doing just fine without your patronage. I haven't seen it either, but I'm not making a federal case out of it. A film about tolerance was obviously not made with you in mind.

• Eowyn Rohan | August 23, 2013 12:51 PMReply

Surely if there is any reason for "banning" The Butler, it must be the appearance of amateur ham Oprah Winfrey in the cast.