By Bryce J. Renninger | Indiewire August 15, 2013 at 1:25PM
With 10 days remaining on her Kickstarter campaign to fund Marina Abramovic Institute, an interdisciplinary performance and education center for immaterial and long durational forms of art, Abramovic is releasing her top 10 films of all time exclusively to Indiewire.
There's a method to her madness, here. Abramovic has just added a movie night with the artist as a backer reward for a $5,000 donation. Which movie? It will be a selection from her top 10 film list, which you can find below.
According to a statement from Abramovic's team, "Up to 10 backers will enjoy a movie night with the artist herself at an intimate
home theater in New York City. At this event, Marina will give the
option of one of these films and the group will decide which to watch.
Afterwards, Marina and the group will discuss the film while consuming
ice cream and coffee. Backers will also receive other special rewards at
this level." See more details here.
Also new to the campaign is an offer for all donors above $1 to get a hug from Marina.
Abramovic has been a big name in the art world for years, but she's gained extra recognition recently from the stellar HBO documentary made about her, "Marina Abramovic: The Artist is Present."
For more information and to see more about the Institute, visit the Institute's Kickstarter page. The campaign has just under $225,000 left to raise of its $600,000 goal.
Marina Abramovic's Top 10 Film List:
1. Color of Pomegranates (1968), Sergei Parajanov
2. Last Year at Marienbad (1961), Alain Resnais
3. Underground (1995), director - Emir Kusturica
4. Teorama (1968), director - Pier Paolo Pasolini
5. L’avventura (1960), director - Michelangelo Antonioni
6. 8 1/2 (1963), director - Federico Fellini
7. Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975), director - Pier Paolo Pasolini
8. Melancholia (2011), director - Lars von Trier
9. The Silence (1963), director - Ingmar Bergman
10. Blue Velvet (1986), director - David Lynch