by Nigel M Smith
January 7, 2014 3:51 PM

Martin Scorsese Explains Why Future of Film is Bright in Open Letter to Daughter

Martin Scorsese

Martin Scorsese took a break from defending his "Wolf of Wall Street" to the press by penning an open letter to his daughter that made no mention of his latest, divisive film, but explained why he feels the future of filmmaking is a bright one. The reason according to Marty? Because movies can now be made on the fly and for cheap.

"You can get beautiful images with affortable cameras," he says. "You can record sound. You can edit and mix and color-correct at home. This has all come to pass."

He stresses, however, that "the tools don't make the movie, you make the movie."

Read his full letter (published in the Italian news magazine, L'Espresso) below, and go here for our review of "Wolf of Wall Street."

Dearest Francesca,

I’m writing this letter to you about the future. I’m looking at it through the lens of my world. Through the lens of cinema, which has been at the center of that world.

For the last few years, I’ve realized that the idea of cinema that I grew up with, that’s there in the movies I’ve been showing you since you were a child, and that was thriving when I started making pictures, is coming to a close. I’m not referring to the films that have already been made. I’m referring to the ones that are to come.

I don’t mean to be despairing. I’m not writing these words in a spirit of defeat. On the contrary, I think the future is bright.

We always knew that the movies were a business, and that the art of cinema was made possible because it aligned with business conditions. None of us who started in the 60s and 70s had any illusions on that front. We knew that we would have to work hard to protect what we loved. We also knew that we might have to go through some rough periods. And I suppose we realized, on some level, that we might face a time when every inconvenient or unpredictable element in the moviemaking process would be minimized, maybe even eliminated. The most unpredictable element of all? Cinema. And the people who make it.

I don’t want to repeat what has been said and written by so many others before me, about all the changes in the business, and I’m heartened by the exceptions to the overall trend in moviemaking – Wes Anderson, Richard Linklater, David Fincher, Alexander Payne, the Coen Brothers, James Gray and Paul Thomas Anderson are all managing to get pictures made, and Paul not only got The Master made in 70mm, he even got it shown that way in a few cities. Anyone who cares about cinema should be thankful.

And I’m also moved by the artists who are continuing to get their pictures made all over the world, in France, in South Korea, in England, in Japan, in Africa. It’s getting harder all the time, but they’re getting the films done.

But I don’t think I’m being pessimistic when I say that the art of cinema and the movie business are now at a crossroads. Audio-visual entertainment and what we know as cinema – moving pictures conceived by individuals – appear to be headed in different directions. In the future, you’ll probably see less and less of what we recognize as cinema on multiplex screens and more and more of it in smaller theaters, online, and, I suppose, in spaces and circumstances that I can’t predict.

So why is the future so bright? Because for the very first time in the history of the art form, movies really can be made for very little money. This was unheard of when I was growing up, and extremely low budget movies have always been the exception rather than the rule. Now, it’s the reverse. You can get beautiful images with affordable cameras. You can record sound. You can edit and mix and color-correct at home. This has all come to pass.

But with all the attention paid to the machinery of making movies and to the advances in technology that have led to this revolution in moviemaking, there is one important thing to remember: the tools don’t make the movie, you make the movie. It’s freeing to pick up a camera and start shooting and then put it together with Final Cut Pro. Making a movie – the one you need to make - is something else. There are no shortcuts.

If John Cassavetes, my friend and mentor, were alive today, he would certainly be using all the equipment that’s available. But he would be saying the same things he always said – you have to be absolutely dedicated to the work, you have to give everything of yourself, and you have to protect the spark of connection that drove you to make the picture in the first place. You have to protect it with your life. In the past, because making movies was so expensive, we had to protect against exhaustion and compromise. In the future, you’ll have to steel yourself against something else: the temptation to go with the flow, and allow the movie to drift and float away.

This isn’t just a matter of cinema. There are no shortcuts to anything. I’m not saying that everything has to be difficult. I’m saying that the voice that sparks you is your voice – that’s the inner light, as the Quakers put it.

That’s you. That’s the truth.

All my love,

Dad

• marti | February 15, 2014 7:21 AMReply

Warner Bros confirmation that Robert DeNiro to be paid $3 billion for his part of Paul Vitti in Analyze 3 makes us all feel happy

• Dan | January 9, 2014 3:14 PMReply

I think what Scorsese is really saying is: "This business is going to hell in a handbasket really fast and I'm almost done with it, but if you still want in, you have my blessing. You're young, you can take it."

• lolstfu | June 14, 2014 12:10 PM

Nice. Way to completely ruin the message. Take your simple mind and do some training with it, you've got a long way to go buddy.

• Goatlips | January 9, 2014 2:44 PMReply

The future is video games. Recently, I've been watching films from the IMDb top 250 that I've never seen. I've concluded that films really aren't very good. Nowadays you're lucky if they make 1 good film per year! Even from a list of classics, virtually all films are flawed, have glaring plotholes, or have simply unrealistic occurrences. The flaws left unnoticed by imbecile directors drive me nuts! As for Scorsese - Goodfellas is a masterpiece, but everything since has been flawed. The Departed is hugely overrated and a very poor re-working of Goodfellas - a very simple story made confusing by bad structure and a terribly naive and erratic character portrayal by Nicholson. Hugo was gutless too - highlighted by the way the trailer made out it was going to be a fantasy epic, which it was not.
    In 2013 Iron Man 3 was the 2nd highest earner - it is a terrible film. Gravity was meant to be the best, but, forgive the pun, I'll wager that's vacuous too. 2 years ago a pretty poor, black & white, silent, foreign film won the Best Picture Oscar, purely for its novelty value and complete lack of competition - and Scorsese thinks film-making is on the up!? The recent shamelessly commercially corrupt decision to have 10 Best Film Oscar nominations is a real embarrassment that's become a burden to the academy now.

• X | January 10, 2014 9:35 PM

The very fact that you claim that The Departed is a re-working of Goodfellas proves that you know nothing about cinema. Departed is actually a North American version of a Hong Kong movie called Infernal Affairs. And that's not even a secret.

If you don't even know the source of the movie you are criticizing then it's impossible that you can have a clear opinion on it. You simply haven't seen enough movies.

Video games? Get real. Video games might make a lot of money at the moment but they still can't compete story-wise with movies. They barely emulate b-movie scenarios.

If you think directors are imbeciles then I wonder why you are still here wasting your time with us. You should be directing the next blockbuster and live the life of a millionaire.

• Leone | January 9, 2014 12:42 PMReply

Where come all the hate for the best working director from?

• Matthew | January 9, 2014 1:11 PM

Speaking only for myself there is absolutely no hate for a director who was one of my all time favorites at one time. Its just bitter disappointment from hearing a man preaching what to my eyes he cannot seem to practice. I'm speaking only of his past two dozen films or so - all within the Hollywood studio system and all therefore constrained by the limits of commercial film making on that scale. No doubt he is still a master at squeezing what little innovation at least graphically and technically he can out of that compromise, but when was the last time a Scorsese film challenged the assumptions of its audience even on the level of Taxi Driver (identifying with an unstable psychopath) or Raging Bull (almost the same thing)? You just cannot bite the hand that feeds and yet I want something more from who I consider the 'great filmmakers' beyond a cut-above popcorn entertainment. So, no hate - just disappointment.

• Jeff | January 9, 2014 10:55 AMReply

Isn't it funny that this gets released right before Oscar nomination voting draws to a close? Two words: mea culpa Two more words: Damage Control.

• Neil | January 8, 2014 9:34 PMReply

1. To everyone complaining about Scorsese turning into a studio hack.....I don't really like the mob movies either, but Gangs of New York was an epic beauty. FU if you don't like it. And take your own "artiste" opinions with a big grain of salt, it's not like even ONE of you bitter losers could come close to his career.

2. To all of the "internet feminists" complaining about him not naming one female director as his inspiration....go eat a turd, whiners. It's not his responsibility to LIE about who inspires him to appease your politically correct bullsh*t. Maybe more women directors and writers should make films that aren't unwatchable dogsh*t. And quit whining about being "oppressed" by the studios, get off your fat c*nts and make a decent movie that people actually want to see. Some women have actually achieved that, you know, but a lot more could if they actually gave a damn instead of expecting yet another feminist welfare system to help the already over-privileged achieve their goals. If you want more women film-makers inspiring people, then it's up to women film-makers to make inspiring films. Plenty of men started with less than nothing(and still do), so what's the problem?

• Deadpan | January 9, 2014 3:09 PM

Neil must be very popular with the ladies!

• N | January 9, 2014 1:40 PM

Dear Neil, I don't think women's fat or slim c*nts have anything to do with this. You can express what you think without being an as*hole, you know? try it

• Matthew | January 9, 2014 1:07 PM

Ah, yes - "eat a turd" and "FU" - what nuanced rebuttals to an honest assessment of the above letter. Thank you for adding to the evolution of consciousness!

• L... | January 8, 2014 11:32 PM

I'm sure more women could do a lot of beautiful work as directors, writers etc...
    I really love Martin Scorsese's movies. He's inspired me so much. I watch a lot of his interviews, documentaries etc and he constantly, constantly encourages creative people to be open minded and curious.
    I'm a woman and I want to make films. And I did not even think for a second that his letter was pushing women away.
    When i am inspired by a piece of art, it simple moves me and I don't want to question why.
    It just does. And sometimes it's made by a man, and sometimes it's made by a woman. But i won't force myself to like it because of a person's gender. The creation speaks to me, that's it.
    I don't think it's harder to create but it is true that in some cases, women are not always taken seriously. But the thing is, it depends on the people, some men are harsh with some women, some women are harsh with other women, some women are harsh with other men and some men are harsh with other men. It's a reality.
    But to me, this doesn't have anything to do with his letter.
    He wrote a beautiful letter to his daughter.
    Martin Scorsese also wrote something beautiful in "Les cahiers du cinéma" where he was talking about cinema and the people who inspired him.
    He talked about Ida Lupino (an actress and film maker) how compassionate her work was, how daring she was for her time and how he dreamed that he could have met her. Check it out. it's very interesting and you could discover a new woman director from the past and understand her.

• Furby | January 8, 2014 9:58 PM

Gangs of New York was a limp dick that never got it up. Yes, Martin Scorsese's sellout career is MY jealousy. Good one. I'll be keeping my soul, thank you.

• Julie | January 8, 2014 7:20 PMReply

Who pockets the extra money that they're saving?

• Bitch Pack | January 8, 2014 1:04 PMReply

Lovely letter, however... not sure if anyone has said this, but he gives his young daughter a list of male filmmakers- no female ones mentioned...

• jmob | January 8, 2014 4:38 PM

So? I dislike both the ignorance & the arrogance of people shooting off such layered observations at all these little things. If any earned his respect, or were impressive/current/whatever enough to jump to the front of his mind as he wrote this, he would of put them down.

• Leandro Lefa | January 8, 2014 10:52 AMReply

This reminds me of Back to Room 666, where Win Wenders looks back onto his own film and reflects upon today's possibilities. I believe Martin would be interested in this as well.
    It's on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/25536729

• Tickle Me Elmo | January 8, 2014 10:12 PM

You presume to school Mr. Scorsese?

• cutis | January 7, 2014 10:32 PMReply

Oh yeah and from Taxi driver to Casino!!!!

• der | January 7, 2014 10:34 PM

De niro is amazing in that!

• Julia Chasman | January 7, 2014 10:22 PMReply

OK -- is it not a little bit interesting/sad/telling -- that in the list of all the fab directors who he's thrilled are able to get their movies made today -- there is not one woman!! And it's a letter to his daughter!!!

The timing is interesting too, as his latest film is kind of a low point in his presentation of female characters on the screen....Look, I love Marty, I love his films, he is a cinema god to me, and I'm so happy that he is active and vital at this point in his career, and cares enough about the art and about young people to put his thoughts out there -- but -- come on!!!

Marty -- please try harder!! Go back to your younger, hungrier self! This is the man who brought us ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE, as his, what, second or third film? One of the greatest female roles in any film ever! But today, I don't see that anymore...I see complacency, and -- (for him) phoning it in. Admittedly, his phoned-in film is still way better than the best of other filmmakers, but -- damn, I just wish he'd change it up a bit -- maybe the way Soderbergh has -- to acknowledge that you have to stay hungry to be an artist -- even if you never have to worry about your next meal.

• Mike Hammer | January 8, 2014 9:20 PM

Julia, what would be some female directors you would mention in the same breath as those Scorsese listed? I'd nominate Lynne Ramsay (MORVERN CALLAR, WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN) although she's scottish and scorsese seemed to be sticking to americans. Kathryn Bigelow probably. Kelly Reichardt maybe (MEEK'S CUTOFF). I'm not much of a fan of Sofia Coppola.

• SNUH | January 8, 2014 3:27 AM

He was specifically speaking about directors who still use actual film and not digital cameras, implying that they've been able to do so because they're creating a marketable style in which film reel is part. Wes Anderson even goes so far as to use actual Technicolor.

• Brett | January 8, 2014 1:07 AM

Right on, Julia! I was thinking the same thing. He couldn't think of one female director to mention?
    Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore is one of the great movies of the 70s, and one of my personal favorites. I don't know why he stopped making movies like that.
    I, for one, am not interesting in the the big, bombastic movies about macho assholes he's making now. They're just not for me, as artful and well-directed as they may be.

• Rory Donnelly | January 8, 2014 1:01 AM

Not sure if this directly relates to you, but Scorsese recently answered a question in a video interview about the possibility of making a movie with a female protagonist again. Here's his response:

“I’m always, really, in effect searching for a story, or for a way into that, to a film that is dealing from a female perspective of life. It has to connect with me, I feel... what I mean is that I really have to feel comfortable with it. I can’t presume to see the world through those eyes, so it’s got to be a story that means something to me. I’m looking for it, there’s no doubt. I would love to have the time of my life [making] one. I’ve got a few ideas.”

Hope that helps a bit! Full interview is on youtube, but I can't link it in these comments. Title: "Marty Scorsese on 'The Wolf of Wall Street': Controversy is 'Exciting'!"

• Joseph Leonard Marraccino | January 7, 2014 11:49 PM

Change, in many cases, is not welcome to business people that have been doing business, in the numbers these people are used to playing in... it is very hard to accept. Like Napster took out the music fat cats in Hollywood, thus falls another aspect of the Arts to technology, Cinema. The business model presented by the powers that be i.e., WME, demonstrate that Hollywood and Silicon Valley are reaching their respective strategic partnership objectives, and will continue to provide the necessary means and opportunities to help assure their clients' objectives, I for one, salute you Marty! Salute!

• Tom S | January 7, 2014 11:31 PM

Well, there aren't all that many female filmmakers who manage to get good work made within the system, and the people he lists are specifically ones who make vital, powerful studio movies. Outside of maybe Katheryn Bigelow, all the really interesting, active female filmmakers that come to mind- Debra Granik, Sarah Polley, Kelly Reichardt, and so on- work with tiny budgets on movies that usually cost under $10 million, and sometimes far less than that. They're the people whom the studios have been forcing out, and the ones who will hopefully benefit the most from the optimistic future Scorsese is describing here, because they've never gotten an equal place at the table before.

• Turdy Birdy | January 7, 2014 9:05 PMReply

If he just went and made a film with all the affordable gear he speaks so fondly of and dropped all the extraneous luxury gear and massive crews he currently uses he would probably a make a better film than the sterilized stuff he's done over the last 20 years, it would have a real Cassavetes affect on his approach thus allowing him to make something not contrived due to market pressures of the studio system his mind has been tragically, insidiously enslaved to.

• glazing | January 7, 2014 10:47 PM

Yes, Turdy birdy, listen to Look, they seem to know everything about everything. The only people worthy of criticizing film are (successful) filmmakers like Martin Scorsese himself! Of course, the audience and viewers play a very small part in the grand drama of cinema which Marty prides himself in knowing so much about.

• look | January 7, 2014 10:33 PM

Well Turdy birdy, we'd love to see your work, where can we take a look at it? you seem to know everything about everything.

• Curtis | January 7, 2014 10:29 PM

Every path is different. He's had a very long career. Very impressive. I was amazed how much freedom Wolf expresses. Film makers have different tools and desires to explore. I love the fact that he did his thing under different circumstances. I mean go from Mean streets to HUgo. From Alice doesn't live here anymore to The departed. From Raging bull to The age of innocence. From the King of comedy to the george harrison documentary. FRom After hours to The aviator. from Goodfellas to Shutter island. From italian american to gangs of new york. from take this waltz to Wolf of wall street. From new york new york to Bringing out the dead. To my voyage in italy to Kundun. from the key to reserva to who's that knocking at my door? and the list goes on and on. It's wild!

• people | January 7, 2014 10:20 PM

Scorsese enslaved? I don't think so. If there is one film maker out there who does his thing, it's him. A person like him who knows that much about cinema cares deeply.

• Sam | January 7, 2014 10:16 PM

I love his filmography and the fact that he has made so many films in many different ways. I love his diversity. He's done that already, I think it's fantastic that he explores differently every time, through the years. To my eyes, he followed Cassavetes' advice, he did movies that he wanted to make, say the things that he wanted to say.

• 45 | January 7, 2014 8:46 PMReply

I love this letter!
    Loves My voyage to italy.

• Tone | January 7, 2014 8:09 PMReply

Is it a joke that he put David Lynch among his list of shining lights? Someone who has consciously decided to quit making films because of the tenor of Hollywood?

• Tone | January 7, 2014 9:39 PM

lol, so he didn't. It was Fincher. Well, my point was made anyway.

• Ian | January 7, 2014 9:13 PM

Cool it homeboy, he didn't mention Lynch.

• Xavier | January 7, 2014 7:49 PMReply

Marty is a legend. I don't agree with the haters, he's made some gems over the last twenty. He respects the art, the process and all that it has symbolized. Give credit where it's due. Marty is one of the greatest.

• polii | January 7, 2014 8:34 PM

Yes he is. He gave a lot. He's respectful.

• Matthew | January 7, 2014 6:26 PMReply

"If John Cassavetes, my friend and mentor, were alive today..."

He'd probably wonder what the hell Marty's been doing for the last 20 pictures or so... Remember his comments on Boxcar Bertha.... What do you think he'd make of Cape Fear remake, Casino, Bringing out the Dead, Gangs of New York, Aviator, Hugo, Departed, Shutter Island.... "You’ve just spent years of your life making a piece of shit."

• Mike Hammer | January 8, 2014 9:26 PM

BRINGING OUT THE DEAD is almost a masterpiece and is a darkly comic spiritual sequel to TAXI DRIVER (they're also both written by Paul Schrader). SHUTTER ISLAND is really fun because Scorsese doing something like a drug trip/lynch movie. THE AVIATOR is one of his best and very personal. Scorsese is a man who likes to make all kinds of different movies.

• Matthew | January 8, 2014 2:45 PM

Sorry folks, but Cassavetes attitude towards things like "exploding helicopters" in film is pretty well documented - so how hard is to to imagine what he would he make of Scorsese making such impersonal hackwork films like Color of Money, Cape Fear, Bringing out the Dead, the Departed, Shutter Island, etc? Which are all very entertaining, and a step above the usual Hollywood crap obviously - I just don't think Cassavetes would have seen them as Marty "risking everything to express it all" - in very much the same way he broke it to Marty that Boxcar Bertha was "a piece of shit" - this is all very easily found from multiple sources, and not really all that speculative on my part.

And also it is not too hard to find interviews with Marty himself where he talks about the latter chapter of his film making career being a result of the pressures of the commercial cinema, as opposed to making movies with his own money which Cassavetes did. So I'm just calling bullshit here. That takes nothing away from films you enjoy, does it?

To me its more irresponsible and cheap to accept Scorsese's latter work as being an example of the kinds of things he's actually advocating here. When has he decided to make a film for very little money? And I'm not talking the Hollywood version of 'very little'. Let him practice what he preaches first!

• oscars | January 7, 2014 8:46 PM

Matthew, you can talk to the dead? are you a psychic? what a brilliant comment you just made. Are you aware that you might be a fool?
    I love Martin's movie,s I'm a fan and I'm happy to know that he encourages people to express themselves in a smart way, with their own point of view.
    Your comment is irresponsable and cheap.

• brand | January 7, 2014 8:43 PM

I think matthew would have loved to have Cassavettes as a mentor and have Martin scorseze's talent. Better luck next time Matthew.

• Kessie | January 7, 2014 7:55 PM

This is someone who truly loves cinema and filmmaking. He's not dismissive of the new ways in which the process is attained, not like many pretentious or narrow minded many who claim to love film. There's room for it all and those who choose to not grow with it will get left behind. I saw Joseph Gordon-Levitt's 'HitRecord' televised show. That is what came to mind when reading this because that epitomises a new inclusive process in filmmaking for all. It's so beautiful to be living through such a change and we're lucky because this history in the making and it will be these times people will be looking at decades later in wonder at the way people collaborated and everyone got involved to create beautiful pieces of work.

I think Martin is in a better position to know what Cassavetes would have done and said - and he would have recognised that Scorsese still made the films he wanted to make - how many directors get to do that on such a budget? He made the films he wanted, not what you wanted. Everyone's a critic but can you say you've done any better or done anything at all?

Mad props to this man who sounds like he's lamenting a very successful past and period that is so much different today because of the choices people like him made - inspiring the filmmakers and innovators we have today.

• maillo | January 7, 2014 7:51 PM

If I made films like Casino, Hugo etc etc, I would be really proud of myself.

• Magnan | January 7, 2014 7:45 PM

That's such a careless, vicious remark. I'm curious, how do you treat the people in your life?

• Dusty Rhodes | January 7, 2014 6:56 PM

Spot-on, Matthew. I love Scorsese; he speaks well of movies, and inspires, still, but what the hell happened since the days of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull?

• beautiful | January 7, 2014 6:04 PMReply

Excuse me while I gag. The end is near.

• Beaut | January 7, 2014 8:13 PM

Sorry to interrupt the love fest. You guys seemed to really be building up to something.

• cheers | January 7, 2014 7:49 PM

Please, gag back in your own face. You deserve it. Cheers!

• never | January 7, 2014 7:47 PM

@"beautiful": Yours seems to be near.....

• Bye | January 7, 2014 6:31 PM

With a comment like that you have no use for the future anyway.

• glass | January 7, 2014 5:59 PMReply

i think movies will be seen on glass, like a window or something transparent like that.

• one day | January 7, 2014 5:54 PMReply

I want more people like SCorsese, Fellini, Kubrick.......

• Gulassarian | January 7, 2014 7:58 PM

We are on our way. Please be patient.

• lady | January 7, 2014 5:53 PMReply

He's the coolest!
    You guys have to see him in Taxi driver, a scene in the cab.
    He's SUCH a great actor.
    Martin, you have to act more.
    I also think that to some people, art comes naturally to them.
    No everybody can have talent.

• Ryan | January 7, 2014 5:30 PMReply

Francesca is lucky to have a father like Martin Scorcese...

• clevers | January 7, 2014 5:49 PM

That's what I was going to say. :)

• teams | January 7, 2014 5:05 PMReply

Cinema is a beautiful artform.
    No matter how much people put in visual effects, it's never as intense as an organic human expression.
    Thank you for this open letter.

• round | January 7, 2014 5:02 PMReply

I miss going to the drive in!

• article | January 7, 2014 5:02 PMReply

Keep making movies MR Scorsese please. We need legends like you!!!!!
    I'm scared for cinema.
    Thank god we can still access movies from the past.

• way | January 7, 2014 5:00 PMReply

I love that he says: protect it with your life!
    We forget these things.
    thank you Martin!

• love | January 7, 2014 5:05 PM

I agree.

• yeah | January 7, 2014 4:59 PMReply

I love this. He is generous.
    Anyway his films really capture things from the past and the future.
    Timeless.

• PAUL | January 7, 2014 4:59 PMReply

OMG, that was beautiful.

• Denny | January 7, 2014 4:49 PMReply

This is lovely. Interesting in such a encouraging letter to his daughter, he cites only male filmmakers.

I hope he is right. I hope the future of film is bright and more representative.

• Bitch Pack | January 8, 2014 1:05 PM

Just noticed this- echo-ed your exact sentiments. Agree with you, Denny. Hope for more representation.

• Adrian Hernandez | January 7, 2014 4:41 PMReply

I remember Francis Ford Coppola having a similar sentiment at the end of "Hearts of Darkness". In a weird way, he even saw the Youtube generation of filmmakers coming.

Even still, these are amazing words from a master of the art. Totally can't wait to see "Wolf of Wall Street" this weekend.

• Maeyen Bassey | January 7, 2014 4:23 PMReply