by Nigel M Smith
April 24, 2013 4:23 PM

New Amy Winehouse Doc From Maker of 'Senna' To Be Introduced At Cannes

Focus Features International has announced that they'll be handling worldwide sales for a new documentary about the late Grammy award-winning artist Amy Winehouse, directed by Asif Kapadia, whose "Senna" is the highest-grossing documentary in UK history.  "Senna" collaborator James Gay-Rees ("Exit Through the Gift Shop") will produce through Playmaker Films, the duo's new production company. Universal Music will serve as co-producers.

Speaking of the project, the two said in a statement: "This is an incredibly modern, emotional and relevant film that has the power to capture the zeitgeist and shine a light on the world we live in, in a way that very few films can. Amy was a once-in-a-generation talent who captured everyone's attention; she wrote and sung from the heart and everyone fell under her spell. But tragically Amy seemed to fall apart under the relentless media attention, her troubled relationships, her global success and precarious lifestyle. As a society we celebrated her huge success but then we were quick to judge her failings when it suited us."

Alison Thompson, co-president of Focus Features International added: "Asif and James have the remarkable ability to bring a moving and thought-provoking story to life, as evidenced by Senna. We look forward to seeing their vision of Amy Winehouse."

• Shavonne | April 26, 2013 12:45 PMReply

To YOOO:
    I have been going to rock concerts since I was 9 years old, films since I was 4 years old. I ENJOY THE MUSICAL AND MOVIE GENIUS OF FALLEN HEROES ALL THE TIME. I don't like to see anybody who is so talented and successful lose it all to some addiction and never make it back. It is just freaking sad and pisses me off. That is simply my viewpoint. GET OVER IT AND GET BENT.

• Shavonne | April 24, 2013 10:35 PMReply

"Judge her failings when it suited us?" Why insult the audience before even releasing the film. Amy Winehouse was uniquely talented yes, but that doesn't change the fact that she CHOSE to consume drugs and alcohol to the point of excess. She never overcame her problems and died before she got to another place of healing. I hope these two boneheads realize that and stop pretending that she didn't have a choice in how she handled her fame, her relationships, and her (unfortunately) never ending alcohol and drug addiction that stopped her heart. It is all about choices, folks.

• yooo | April 26, 2013 3:28 AM

my point is......why the f**k do you care so much about what peepz are doing?! You go on and on about people making their own decisions. Why cant you just shut the f*cK up, and listen to the music.

• Shavonne | April 26, 2013 1:19 AM

TO YOOO:

I thought Amy Winehouse was an amazing artist and never bought a single album. My pointing out that her life choices are what ended her life is not judgment, it is basic fact. I am still sad over Heath Ledger dying and wonder why Brittany Murphy is gone. I wept when Whitney Houston was found dead in a stupid bathtub and played one of her songs every hour for 12 hours on that day she died. It is about the FACT that someone so TALENTED became so WRECKED because of their life choices. My supposed harsh commentary is not harsh, it is literally what I see as what happened to Amy Winehouse. She never overcame and so she went under. It is a reality all addicts deal with, some survive and some don't. Addiction takes many forms, this I know. You need to stop thinking that someone's life choice doesn't affect their art or performances when because they are SO HIGH on stage they cannot even sing the song they wrote. You are the one who needs to stop being a douche.

• yooo | April 25, 2013 2:52 AM

Stop being a douche. Obviously you were one of the many that made harsh comments when she was battling her addiction. You had nothing better to do with your life than past judgment on someone you didnt even know. Her lifestyle was none of my concern because it wasn't putting money in my pockets. I appreciated what she brought to music, and how she changed the game. People made jokes, and ridiculed her, but when someone is an addict it is no laughing matter. The public needs to start focusing on the material the artist is producing rather than who they're f***ing, or what drugs are consumed. It serves no purpose to YOUR life.