by Indiewire
March 8, 2012 9:30 AM

Project of the Day: Profile of Poet Larry Levis, "My Story in a Late Style of Fire"

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

My Story in a Late Style of Fire

Tweetable Logline:
"My Story in a Late Style of Fire" is a feature-length documentary film based on the life of the brilliant poet Larry Levis.

Elevator Pitch:
"My Story in a Late Style of Fire" is a feature-length documentary film exploring the work and life of the brilliant poet Larry Levis. When Levis died at age 49 in Richmond, he had published five well-received books of poetry, a collection of stories, and numerous essays. Since his death, his reputation and influence have continued to grow. The film reveals Levis from multiple perspectives, including responses by a diverse group of writers who find his work of great importance. Young poets will also read his poetry on film, and we will include impressionistic, visual art to compliment his words.

Production Team:
Director: Michele Poulos
Director of Cinematography: Kevin Gallagher
Assistant Editor: Christine Ferrera
Poetry Consultant: Shanley Jacobs

About the Production:
"
The idea for the film came to me in a dream. I was already a fan of the poetry of Larry Levis when I moved to Virginia to study at Virginia Commonwealth University. Levis had been a faculty member there until his death in 1996. You couldn’t walk down the street without bumping into someone who had known Levis, and the stories people told were as savory as his poems. It was then that I had the dream--a voice telling me to create a film which would have the excitement and artistic quality of the work of the man himself." - Michele Poulos

Current Status:
Production.

For more information and the support this project:

Facebook Page

Kickstarter Page

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming IW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form!

• Terry Lucas | July 11, 2012 1:46 PMReply

This film needs to be the winner!

• jennifer adut | May 15, 2012 12:17 AMReply

this film has my vote!

• Brian Brodeur | April 17, 2012 4:07 PMReply

I've been following the production of this project for the last couple of years and really look forward to seeing the finished film. I agree with Al: this film MUST be made!

• Aliki Barnstone | March 12, 2012 2:39 PMReply

This is a brilliant film about one of the most influential poets of the 20th Century. I vote for "My Story in a Late Style of Fire."

• Michele Young-Stone | March 12, 2012 11:01 AMReply

I want to see this film made!

• Susanna Rich | March 12, 2012 10:05 AMReply

This Film Has My Vote!!!!!

• Mel hastings | March 12, 2012 4:09 AMReply

Would love to see michele get her dream. Mel

• Elaine read | March 12, 2012 4:08 AMReply

Really would like to see re of this poet. Elaine

• Lucy G. | March 12, 2012 2:14 AMReply

Yes, definitely!

• Consuelo Marshall | March 11, 2012 7:45 PMReply

As one of those people who never met Larry Levis, this will be the closest I will ever be to meeting him.

• Lillian Lustig | March 11, 2012 6:09 PMReply

I vote for My Story in the Late Style of Fire

• Sophia Kartsonis | March 10, 2012 1:55 PMReply

One of the best poets and most influential teachers of our time. This movie must happen.

• Adrianne K. | March 10, 2012 9:52 AMReply

Yes, yes, yes!

• Al Maginnes | March 10, 2012 7:43 AMReply

This is a movie I want to see and a movie that NEEDS to be made.