by Indiewire
September 26, 2012 11:00 AM

Project of the Day: 'A Life In The Death Of Joe Meek'

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

"A Life In The Death Of Joe Meek"

Tweetable Logline:

Jimmy Page, Steve Howe and other rock/pop idols help chronicle the rise, fall and resurrection of 1960’s recording pioneer Joe Meek.

Elevator Pitch:

The documentary shows how Meek managed to leave an indelible stamp, not just on the music industry, but on modern pop culture as well -- due in equal measures to his groundbreaking DIY recording techniques, hit-making philosophy and a life full of social, psychological and sexual obstacles. Over 40 years after his tragic and, still, somewhat mysterious death, Meek has been reborn as an inspirational icon for anyone in search of the Independent Spirit.

Production Team:

Director/Producer/Editor: Susan Stahman
Director/Producer/Editor: Howard S. Berger
Graphic Artist: Russell Frazier

About the Production:

The project is a 9-year labor of love for us. Up until this point we’ve paid for everything out of pocket. This is as independent as you can get. A documentary produced with the same DIY spirit in which Meek produced his music.

Current Status:

Edit is 90% complete. Currently Kickstarting for finishing funds/license fees. Still trying to secure interviews with David Bowie, Ritchie Blackmore and Rod Stewart.

For more information and to support this project:

Kickstarter Page

• Andy Kinch | April 7, 2013 3:50 AMReply

Vote for this. Should be a fascinating view for anyone interested in the development of music production. An underrated genius IMO.

• Tom Fay | March 15, 2013 8:50 PMReply

Gets my vote.

• Asia Argento | March 15, 2013 11:19 AMReply

I forgot to say, this movie gets my vote.

• Asia Argento | March 15, 2013 11:17 AMReply

I've invested money on this project, I believe in it, I can't wait to see it. The world needs this documentary. Looking forward to see a new world.

• philip jessop | March 15, 2013 4:11 AMReply

Life in the death of joe meek get's my vote.

• Andy | March 14, 2013 11:44 PMReply

"A Life in the Death of Joe Meek" gets my vote too!

• Deborah P Siegel | March 14, 2013 10:39 PMReply

"A Life in the Death of Joe Meek" gets my vote--an audience is waiting patiently to see this!

• Larry... Pisces... | March 14, 2013 7:21 AMReply

Looking good...

• Andy Oakey | March 14, 2013 5:53 AMReply

Have already seen a "prototype" version of this excellent film in its early stages and would really like to see it finished. Voted.

• Tony | March 13, 2013 6:18 AMReply

Gets my vote !

• Mike Stax | March 12, 2013 3:53 PMReply

A Life in the Death of JOE MEEK gets my vote. I can't wait to see this film!

• Bill Craig | March 12, 2013 2:51 PMReply

I have been looking forward to seeing this film since I first heard it was being made.

• Marie | March 12, 2013 4:04 AMReply

I want to see this film!

• David Womack | November 2, 2012 6:40 PMReply

The Life and Death of Joe Meeks gets my vote. I want to see this film.

• andy hiley | October 30, 2012 8:47 PMReply

i would love to see this film made, these guys have been working so hard for along time, its time it was out there

• Iain Boyce | September 30, 2012 7:14 PMReply

I want to see this film.

• texasguitarman | September 29, 2012 5:52 PMReply

Hope this film gets produced! What history, and a legacy of recorded work!

• Amy Linton | September 30, 2012 6:08 PM

I can't wait to see this, and have become a kickstarter in hopes I will!