by Indiewire
September 3, 2012 9:01 AM

Project of the Day: A Team Hikes the John Muir Trail

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

"Mile...Mile & A Half"

Tweetable Logline:

A team of artists leave their daily lives to hike the John Muir Trail & bring it back to share. 219 miles. 25 days. Come walk with us.

Elevator Pitch:

In July 2011, a team of artists set out to hike the John Muir Trail and record their experiences.

219 miles in 25 days.

In that epic snow year in the High Sierras, they leave their daily lives behind in search of new adventures: the thrill of the trail, the challenge of miles, and the ability to capture the beauty and wonder of the journey itself.

Along the way, they're joined by musicians, painters, teachers and other adventure-seekers. Through the grandeur and daily grind, they discover what matters most is the opportunity to seek adventure wherever and whenever you can.

Production Team:

Directors: Jason Fitzpatrick & Ric Serena
Writer: Jason Fitzpatrick
Producers: Jason Fitzpatrick, Zee Hatley, Kia M. Kiso, Jen Serena, Ric Serena, & Durand Trench
Music: Paul Bessenbacher & Bernard Chadwick
Editor: Edward Chin

About the Production:

"What began as an adventure to see – let’s be honest – if we could complete the trail, became the need to record and share the trail with others. This film grew out of that desire to motivate others to go after their adventures.

It was a tremendous undertaking to leave lives and family behind for a month, and our journey has continued well past the trail. Along the way, we have been blessed by the additions of talented adventure-seekers, artists and life-lovers all joining this quest.

Come walk with us." -- Jennifer Serena

Current Status:

Post production.

For more information and to support this project:

Kickstarter Page
Film Website

Be sure to check out our curated Kickstarter page for more information on films we think you should support.

If you've got a project of your own you'd like Indiewire to profile in the column, fill out this form and contact us!

• KIM | September 8, 2012 1:05 AMReply

Gorgeous! And finally a film I can bring my entire family to see. So beautiful and inspiring!

• Tonya | September 6, 2012 2:50 PMReply

Can't wait to see this film. Planning a JMT hike some time in the next few years. Have all the guidebooks and maps, just need to get the time off. In the meantime, I will do shorter backpacking trips in CO, dream about the JMT, and hopefully watch this film.

• Jeremy | September 5, 2012 5:41 PMReply

Absolutely stunning. Tugs at the heart stings too.

• Frank | September 5, 2012 5:26 PMReply

Unbelieveably beautiful, inspiring, funny, - the combination of the secenery along with the real life adventure that this group has undertaken, it doesn't get any better. If you don't get goose bumps watching it, well, you are probably over medicated.

• Higgs | September 5, 2012 12:16 PMReply

Big budget Hollywood films don't look this beautiful! I can't wait to see this.

• neil | September 5, 2012 10:34 AMReply

this breathtaking footage demands a giant screen!

• cnima | September 5, 2012 8:30 AMReply

Can't wait to see this!

• Jeff Hester | September 5, 2012 4:53 AMReply

Love, love, LOVE the trailers for this and can't wait to see the full-length final cut! Having thru-hiked the JMT twice, I can tell you they've really captured the "feel" for hiking this magnificent trail. And it's an achievement within the reach of mere mortals, to boot!

• Natalie | September 5, 2012 1:12 AMReply

So looking forward to seeing this. We recently moved back home from California, but seeing those trails again almost makes me wish we hadn't!

• Fool | September 5, 2012 12:52 AMReply

Love it! Can't wait to see it in its entirety!

• Carolyn | September 5, 2012 12:17 AMReply

Yes I want to see it! Jacques Cousteau has advised us that "People protect what they love." We need people to love the wilderness so that the wild, the places where a healthy Earth and a good adventure still exist, will remain. If the trailers are any indication this film may be just the thing to bring the spirit of the wilderness into the hearts of many.

• John | September 5, 2012 12:12 AMReply

Love it!

• Tatiana | September 5, 2012 12:12 AMReply

Yes, yes! Since I saw the trailer a few weeks ago through REI I've been dying to watch this movie. It's shot SO beautifully. And to share it with all my less-adventurous friends, to get them out there with me!

• Blackcapricorn | September 5, 2012 12:06 AMReply

I can't wait to see this project, very worthy of your time and funds!

• Tatiana | September 4, 2012 11:53 PMReply

Yes, yes! Since I saw the trailer a few weeks ago through REI I've been dying to watch this movie. And to share it with all my less-adventurous friends, to get them out there with me!

• kevin | September 4, 2012 11:29 PMReply

Saw the preview at REI... can't wait to see the whole movie.

• Kevin | September 4, 2012 11:27 PMReply

Saw the preview at REI... Can't wait to see the finished film! It will definitely be one to own.

• Kevin | September 4, 2012 11:23 PMReply

• Kevin | September 4, 2012 11:22 PMReply

• Sarah | September 4, 2012 11:00 PMReply

Yes, please! Every time I see one of the videos, I'm so energized and inspired to get out and do more. I showed an early promo video to my middle school to encourage kids to join our wilderness program, and they were dancing in their seats during the assembly - no joke. Please support Mile...Mile and a Half!

• Allison Robinson | September 4, 2012 10:21 PMReply

It is a wonderful project and SO inspiring. My 8 year old has been watching (stalking!) this team of filmmakers for a little over a year. He LEARNED TO READ just so he could follow their blog and read trail guides for the JMT. He and his father have just returned from the first section of the JMT after my son pretty much planned and nagged and kicked fanny for a year to make it happen. So inspiring! So fascinating and entertaining! We love Mile...Mile and a Half and have supported them and will continue to do so. GIVE GIVE GIVE!!!

• Laurel | September 4, 2012 9:31 PMReply

From what I've seen thus far, this film looks fascinating and inspiring. As someone who is not particularly adventurous or outdoorsy - I feel like seeing this journey may motivate me to step outdoors a little more often.

• J.J. | September 4, 2012 8:16 PMReply

This film looks fantastic! Can't wait to see it!

• Michele | September 4, 2012 8:10 PMReply

Gorgeous! Look forward to seeing the final film... and finding my own outdoor adventures!

• Brian | September 4, 2012 8:07 PMReply

This looks darn good. I'd see it.

• Anne | September 4, 2012 6:58 PMReply

I dare you to watch the trailer without getting goosebumps. It took less than 2 minutes for me to want to jump out of my cubicle and onto the trail!

• Todd | September 4, 2012 6:44 PMReply

I'm with Mick!

• David | September 4, 2012 6:35 PMReply

Just awesome! I can't wait to see the final cut.

• Mick Mc bride | September 4, 2012 6:12 PMReply

Yep, we want to see mile, mile and a half. Yes please :)