by Indiewire
September 17, 2013 9:53 AM

Project of the Day: An Unlikely Crew Encounters the Second Coming

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

"You Are Your Body / You Are Not Your Body"

Tweetable Logline:

A family with a history of violence and a lonely comedienne become entangled with the possible second coming of Christ.

Elevator Pitch:

The Evans family has never been happy. After a decade of estrangement, it takes the death of Dinah Evans to bring her four children back together. As old tensions threaten to destroy the calm that each sibling has struggled to maintain, salvation presents itself in an unlikely form: a mysterious woman who inspires unwavering devotion enters their lives, offering freedom from all pain.

But as her cult closes in on the siblings, the vacant eyes and plaster smiles of her followers beg the question: is freedom from suffering worth the cost?

Production Team:

Director, Writer, Cinematographer, Editor: Matt Latham (award-winning short film IT FELT GOOD TO HAVE THIS PAIN, now featured on NoBudge.com)

CO-WRITER & PRODUCER: Nick Toti

About the Production:

"YOU ARE YOUR BODY / YOU ARE NOT YOUR BODY has been a work of collaboration from
the very outset. The actors, my co-writer/producer, and I developed the project together through months of workshopping, discussions, and sharing images and ideas that were meaningful to us. The characters and themes were born out of that.

"My co-writer was raised Christian, and my interest is in Buddhism. As we started writing the screenplay, the cross-sections between our religious/spiritual interests became the core of our movie. This movie feels very personal, and yet, we believe it will have a universal reach." - Matt Latham

Current Status:

Post-production.

For more information and to support this project:

Film Website
Kickstarter Page

Be sure to check out our curated Kickstarter page for more information on projects we think you should check out.

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming iW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form!

• ecs | October 3, 2013 6:54 PMReply

yes want to see it!!!

• Jonny Stranger | October 2, 2013 5:25 PMReply

This looks like a movie I definitely want to see!

• Brian Meyers | October 1, 2013 1:50 PMReply

Very interesting trailer. Yes, I definitely want to see the finished film!

• MsInformed | October 1, 2013 12:17 PMReply

I want to see the charismatic cult leader.

• MsInformed | October 1, 2013 12:20 PM

FYI: Y'all have to vote back on the other page. I missed the poll at first. It's way down at the bottom. GO VOTE!

• Spiffy Tumbleweed | October 1, 2013 12:15 PMReply

Yes, absolutely, I want to see this film!

• CHELSEA | September 27, 2013 2:48 PMReply

Trailer looks interesting...yes I'd like to see the movie!

• sanetra stewart | September 23, 2013 1:52 PMReply

This must be on the big screen. The whole world should see this movie.

• Karen Burgess | September 23, 2013 2:15 AMReply

Oh my goodness YES!!!

• Erick Romero | September 23, 2013 12:17 AMReply

Yes, please make this film. Thank you.

• Amanda Farrar | September 22, 2013 7:23 PMReply

Yes, please!

• Patricia Bowman-Stein | September 22, 2013 5:41 PMReply

Interesting trailer. Yes, I definitely want to see the finished film!

• Debbie Ringo | September 22, 2013 2:11 PMReply

Yes, yes, yes. I want to see this!

• Spiffy Tumbleweed | September 20, 2013 2:08 PMReply

Looks great, can't wait to see the finished film.

• ross franklin | September 17, 2013 10:28 PMReply

In a heartbeat.

• Darrin Navarro | September 17, 2013 5:51 PMReply

I've seen Matt's short film, "It Felt Good to Have This Pain." It's wonderful. I've contributed to the Kickstarter for this one and everyone else should too.

• Aaron | September 17, 2013 5:32 PMReply

Looks great!

• Allegra | September 17, 2013 4:22 PMReply

I would see the shit out of this movie.