by Indiewire
January 29, 2014 10:55 AM

Project of the Day: 'Black Hat'

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

"Black Hat"

Tweetable Logline: Desperate to get to an anime convention, a quirky teen "kidnaps" her wily grandfather and together they embark on the roadtrip of a lifetime

Elevator Pitch: "Dandi Chiapetta" is an alternative teen who is into everything anime and the band Slipknot. Bullied for her love of this art form, she still has a dream. To get to a convention halfway across the country where her favorite anime Director, Shinichiro Watanabe, is going to turn one amateur manga comic into an anime. When all else fails, she "kidnaps" her estranged grandfather, in a nursing home, and races to get to the convention in time. Judging by our FB page, which has over 228,000 "likes" already, worldwide, this film and subject matter has huge potential.

Production Team:

Robbie Bryan Writer/Director
Christie Botelho Exec. Producer
John A. Gallagher Exec. Producer
Patrick Coppola Producer
Lisle Wilkerson Ass. Producer
Sybil Santiago Ass. Producer
Aaron Medick Cinematographer
Andrew Hollander Composer (Waitress)
Josh Turi Make-Up (Three-time Emmy Awards SNL)
Masao Maruyama Creating 11 minutes od anime (Co-Creator of Madhouse in Japan)

About the Production: When I first started researching the magical world of anime, I was overtaken by the creativity and passion of this art form. I spent two months talking to kids at anime clubs and conventions and knew we had a unique fresh spin on a road trip film. Bullying was a huge result of liking this genre, and I got excited about eventually forming a Skype club where teens could go when they felt isolated. Lastly, a disabled cosplayer who recently passed, was brought to my attention and I am honored to name a character after her, immortalizing her through film.

Current Status: Crowd funding here http://www.seedandspark.com/studio/black-hat with a 90%-10% deal if we are successful. Scouted and ready to go!

For more information and to support this project: Seed and Spark Page

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming iW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form!

• Donna Rossomangno | February 7, 2014 11:01 AMReply

My vote is in:)

• Wayne | February 7, 2014 7:52 AMReply

Got my vote

• Paula | February 6, 2014 7:54 PMReply

Got my vote

• RichP | February 6, 2014 7:29 PMReply

Got my vote

• Daniela | February 6, 2014 6:43 PMReply

Good luck!

• GenoB | February 6, 2014 3:46 PMReply

This gets my vote.. sounds incredible!

• Sara | February 6, 2014 9:51 AMReply

Black hat sounds awesome. It has my vote!!

• chase | February 6, 2014 1:25 AMReply

def black hat

• Tracy Hofer | February 5, 2014 11:28 AMReply

Would loved to see the movie made. I love the theme and content of it.

• jodi | February 4, 2014 2:30 PMReply

I am SO excited for Robbie!!

• Heather DiPietro | February 3, 2014 2:58 PMReply

I'm so excited for this project! Wishing you guys the best of luck!

• Carolyn Hodge | February 2, 2014 8:02 PMReply

Go Robbie!! Wishing much success for you and the Black Hat team!!

• Laurie Brandt | February 2, 2014 7:49 PMReply

Well done. Great message!

• DeeDee | February 2, 2014 2:34 PMReply

Go Robbie!!!

• Vicky Howard | February 1, 2014 11:42 PMReply

For Cassie

• Ellen | February 1, 2014 9:26 PMReply

Wishing Black Hat the success it deserves! A great work!!

• melissa | February 1, 2014 8:44 PMReply

Black hat

• Mary | January 31, 2014 6:48 PMReply

I would love to see it.I have seen a short film by Robbie Bryan and enjoyed it very much,

• Joe bat | January 31, 2014 6:38 PMReply

Looks like a great story
    Looking forward to seeing it

• Logan England | January 31, 2014 3:02 PMReply

I am so excited to see this project featured here. My daughter Cassie died three weeks ago of a rare genetic disorder called Epidermolysis Bullosa. Robbie contacted me shortly afterwards to offer condolences and ask to include Cassie in the project, and I was so touched. This is a project that would have meant so much to her, with it's message of acceptance and celebrating being different. When I saw the first image of the Cassie character in the update video I was floored. It's a perfect image of my beautiful baby girl. As a parent I can't express how much it means to me to see this film made, and know it will part of the legacy my daughter left for to comfort those of us who have to go on with out her.

• Brooke Lewis | January 31, 2014 12:31 PMReply

"Black Hat" is a project that everyone should support and want to be a part of! It is a beautiful story with a rare and creative script and has a team behind it that works with love, heart and integrity...not always the case in the film industry! :) I am a huge supporter of this crew and anything that has a positive message for young people!!! XO Brooke Lewis

• Carlo Costanzo | January 31, 2014 12:23 PMReply

The concept seems cool and if you watch the CrowdFunding pitch at Seed&Spark, the snippets of Anime that are scheduled look great. The mix between live action and animation will be a new chapter in Robbie Bryan's directing portfolio and I'm excited to see how he weaves it all together.