by Indiewire
July 9, 2013 12:46 PM

Project of the Day: Check out the Bizarre and Exciting New Sport 'Chessboxing'

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

"Chessboxing: The King's Discipline"

Tweetable logline:

The first feature-length documentary to explore the bizarre and exciting new sport of Chessboxing.

Elevator Pitch:

Chess and boxing - together at last. The W.T.F. factor of such an unlikely combination has made it an easy target for satire on shows like The Colbert Report or as fluff-piece fodder at the end of the nightly news, but to the man who invented it, chessboxing represents nothing less than the pinnacle of sport - an ultimate test of body and mind. Taking you to London, Berlin, LA and beyond, Chessboxing: The King's Discipline will tell the story of this man's struggle to transform his sport from underground cult curiosity into a respected and recognized mainstream phenomenon.

Production Team:

Producer/Director: David Bitton
Cinematographers: Joseph Baron, Scott Baker & Shane Geddes
Sound Designer/Editor: Kyle Stanfield
Picture Editor: David Bitton

About the Production:

"I believe that the most beautiful things in this world are the ones that resonate on a subconscious level because they mess with our preconceived notions of how things are supposed to be or how we are supposed to act. Things that seem completely absurd and ridiculous on their face, but upon closer inspection reveal themselves to be utterly brilliant and speak to a deep emotional truth. Chessboxing, to me, is one of those things. I became a filmmaker to bring this beauty to more people and so making a film about chessboxing was a clear and necessary choice." -- David Bitton

Current Status:

Post-production.

For more information and to support this project:

Filmmaker Website
Kickstarter Page

Be sure to check out our curated Kickstarter page for more information on projects we think you should check out.

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming iW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form!

• Dee HARTIG | August 15, 2013 2:32 PMReply

I've been in love with Chess Boxing since I first heard about it two years ago. I'm very happy this film is being made! I can't seem to vote for it though. I want to, I just can't find a vote area.

• Dee HARTIG | August 15, 2013 2:31 PMReply

• Heather Ordon | August 4, 2013 12:54 PMReply

I definitely vote for this film. Very interesting!!!
    Good Luck!!!

• Rochelle frydrych | August 2, 2013 8:02 AMReply

Very unusual and interesting.
    Good luck

• Ervin Sebag | August 2, 2013 7:39 AMReply

Spectacular! Very promising.

• Myra Manly | August 1, 2013 11:09 PMReply

Good luck!

• Chris Atack | August 1, 2013 10:23 PMReply

This film rocks! David Bitton definitely deserves maximum support for this work.

• Leah Izenberg | August 1, 2013 9:57 PMReply

Best of luck with i!

• ROshell Bissett | August 1, 2013 3:19 PMReply

I would absoloodly want to see this film! Can't wait till it comes out!

• sally ewin | July 31, 2013 9:16 PMReply

I vote for this film.

• Cassandra | July 31, 2013 12:50 PMReply

Looks like a really good Doc. Kind of in the same vein as King of Kong? I love off beat docs. Will keep my eye out for it.

• BITTON ROGER | July 31, 2013 8:04 AMReply

beautiful documentary.

• Chris Y | July 30, 2013 6:16 PMReply

I'm really hoping this gets the go ahead as looking forward to watching the final release, best of luck with everything as this deserves to be funded.

• Ruthanne Wasserman | July 30, 2013 10:00 AMReply

Looking forward to the completed documentary!

• Frank | July 21, 2013 3:42 PMReply

Chessboxing is on of the upcoming future sports.

• Joan Sinclair | July 14, 2013 3:25 AMReply

David Bitton is witty and wildly creative.

• Chris Y | July 13, 2013 10:55 AMReply

Excellent, Chessboxing would certainly be the one for me, Hope this film gets the funding it deserves.

• Elisabeth Goddard | July 13, 2013 2:29 AMReply

Having been a close-up observer of David's filming in London, I can guarantee this film will worth the wait. So much went into the making of it - please support the final push and make it happen.

• Ali C. | July 12, 2013 11:07 PMReply

I can't wait to see this movie! This film deserves to be funded and finished! Help make it happen. The Veronica Mars movie doesn't need your help anymore...this one does. Pledge! PBS has tote bags, Chessboxing has people getting punched in the face...you know what you need to do.

• J. Matthew S. | July 12, 2013 6:30 PMReply

Fringe, kitch and with gusto Origanality is born into this world. Upon it the masses will stare judge, comment and joke about. This is the fire that forges great things while destroying others. Movies like this invite you into this process be it for a good laugh or a eurika of insparation and expects no common opinion ground of thought in the end. The world needs more films like these.

• Simon Davies | July 12, 2013 4:48 PMReply

Brilliant idea, talented film maker, help him out he deserves it!