by Indiewire
June 27, 2012 10:00 AM

Project of the Day: "Dear White People," Race Riot in an Ivy League

"Dear White People"

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

"Dear White People"

Tweetable Logline:

A satirical take on the events leading up to a race riot at a predominately White Ivy League through the eyes of four black students.

Elevator Pitch

Remember when Black movies didn't neccesarily star a dude in a fat suit and a wig? Or have major plot twists timed to Gospel numbers for no apparent reason?

The humble producers of DEAR WHITE PEOPLE, a satire about being a black face in a white place, long to bring those days back.

The film follows four black students at a predominately white Ivy League where a popular "African American themed" party takes place. Through their unique perspectives the film tackles race identity in "post-racial" America while weaving a universal story of forging one's unique path in the world.

Production Team

Writer, Producer, Director: Justin Simien
Producers: Lena Walthe ("Sh*t Black Girls Say"), Angel Lopez, Ann Le

About the Production:

"There are some knee jerk reactions to the phrase "Dear White People" and I get it. No one wants to be called racist, and some folks are still waking up from the fantasy that having a Black president means America has somehow become "Post-Racial."

The truth is, my film isn't about "white racism" or racism at all. My film is about identity. It's about the difference between how the mass culture responds to a person because of their race and who that person understands themselves to truly be. All explored through the microcosm of a success oriented Ivy League college." --Justin Simien

Current Status: Fundraising, looking for investors

For more information and to support this project:

Kickstarter Page

Be sure to check out our curated Kickstarter page for more information on projects we think you should check out.

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming iW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form!

• Concetta | June 22, 2014 8:21 AMReply

Because this is needed...

• Jamel | December 18, 2013 8:35 PMReply

I really want this movie to be made and put out on a massive scale

• Jelly Jam | August 16, 2013 12:52 PMReply

I'm STILL waiting for this movie to be made. I think it'd be awesome.

• Aisha | March 31, 2013 12:38 AMReply

I would really enjoy seeing this movie!!

• Tasha | March 26, 2013 7:12 PMReply

OH I REALLLLYYYY WANT TO SEE THIS!!

• Persh | March 22, 2013 3:23 PMReply

OMG, YES I WOULD WATCH THIS MOVIE.

• onelove | March 17, 2013 7:36 AMReply

this movie needs to be seen, could break down some barriers having to do with race or even inform some people about these problems that are still going on. YES TO THIS MOVIE!

• Annelise | March 16, 2013 12:23 AMReply

This would be amazing.

• Mary M Canoy | March 14, 2013 3:25 AMReply

SHOW ME THE MOVIE!!!

• Mont | March 13, 2013 11:02 PMReply

I'd like to see this.

• Triguenaista | March 13, 2013 10:16 PMReply

I NEED this movie to win. I wanna see it sooooo badly.
    It pisses me off that this is the ONLY movie on the list that indiewire gave it a single sentance while all the others have whole paragraphs tho. wtf indiewire?

• Rachel | March 13, 2013 7:58 PMReply

Yes! Please, I am starving for something like this. It looks like it could be smart and funny! (I don't want to watch another manboy comedy about friendship... ㅠㅠ)

• Ashley | March 13, 2013 6:28 PMReply

I think this would be a great movie. Society would be a lot better

• Jess | March 13, 2013 5:50 PMReply

Yes!!! This looks absolutely amazing

• iyana | March 13, 2013 5:29 PMReply

please put this in theaters !!

• Shanice | March 13, 2013 4:38 AMReply

This definitely seems very interesting and I would love to see how it comes together and plays out.

• Tiria | March 12, 2013 8:31 AMReply

Finally, something for us by us.

• Brittnee | August 4, 2012 7:36 AMReply

IT'S ABOUT TIME!!! I have been yearning for a younger version of Spike Lee to come back to the movie scene. I think this man is incredible, the title alone caught my attention..i attend a HBCU and i love movies that focused on issues within different races, i dont get to experience must diversity on my campus so for a movie to be brought to my attention about black students at a ivy league university excites me. I honestly heard about this film on WorldStarHiphop.com and i think i have watched the trailer maybe three times already, im already sharing with others for them to support it, it seems like a great idea and i really hope it prospers and i hope to sit in theaters to watch it! GREAT JOB!!!

• Monica | July 31, 2012 10:38 PMReply

Finally! I can't wait for this movie to come out!
    -the girl who love Bamboozled.

• Dee From DC | June 29, 2012 10:33 PMReply

Jasmine can kick rocks... looks like she should have tried out for a part in this flim.... seems cool, i'll support...

• Jasmine | June 29, 2012 6:11 PMReply

Like the concept, but college and Ivy League do not belong in the same sentence unless you are talking about a specific school within the university; ie The College of Business at an Ivy League university.

• Anon | August 1, 2012 8:08 PM

that's stupid and incorrect. IE Dartmouth College.

• jay | June 27, 2012 11:17 AMReply

I'd watch it. Seems smart and interesting.