by Bryce J. Renninger
December 20, 2011 10:30 AM

Project of the Day: "Edgar's Comics" Explores the 1970s Comic Culture

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

"Edgar's Comics"

A still from "Edward's Comics."

Tweetable Logline:

A true-life origin story; in 1977 a young man changes everything when he stumbles upon the greatest comic book collection in history.

Elevator Pitch:

This is a true story. In early 1977, a young, struggling comic book dealer in Boulder, CO unwittingly stumbled upon the greatest comic book collection in history. The 18,000 comics, stashed away in the basement closet of a tiny Denver home, contained one pristine copy of virtually every comic book published during comic's "Golden Age". If discovered today, the collection would be worth more than $50,000,000. But the real story takes place in what happens next. With an existential drive and sense of purpose, he vows to change the world of comic collecting, forever. What happens next?

Production Team:

Director/Writer/Producer: David Johnson

About the film:

"Everyone gets a vicarious thrill by watching the discovery of lost treasure, hiding in plain sight. Here, the "big discovery" is neither the beginning nor the end of the story. The characters and the events they create for themselves, or are compelled to navigate, stand on the their own. A story is only as good to the degree to which the audience cares about the stakes involved. This is not about finding a winning lottery ticket. Rather, the story is about family, identity, loneliness, love, trust and personal conviction to one's priorities. It is a story of belief and creation." -- David Johnson

Current Status:

In pre-production.

Be sure to check out our curated Kickstarter page for more information on projects we think you should check out.

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming iW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form!

• Stuart Swink | November 13, 2013 4:00 PMReply

My brother, Steven Swink, worked for/with Chuck from, I believe, the beginning of Mile High Comics and was probably as huge of a comic book fan as Chuck is. At the time of this discovery I remember him telling me about how he had to watch the Boulder store while Chuck was off acquiring this collection. He also told me of a few trips to various comic book conventions that were, pardon the pun, pretty "comical".

• Stuart Swink | November 13, 2013 4:00 PMReply