by Indiewire
November 15, 2011 12:06 PM

Project of the Day: Imagining a New Life in "The Apartment"

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

A still from "The Apartment"
"The Apartment"

Tweetable Logline:

A woman steps inside a stranger’s apartment, becomes absorbed in what she sees, and begins to imagine a different life for herself.

Elevator Pitch:

The film begins as a woman gets a call, out of the blue, from a neighbor she's never met. The neighbor asks the woman to retrieve something from her apartment. Once she goes inside, the woman becomes absorbed in what she sees, and begins to imagine a different life for herself...

Production Team:

Writer/Director: Melanie Travis
Producer: Jesse Malings
Director of Photography: Sofian Khan
Production Designer: Raquel Cedar

About the Production:

"When I was little, I used to take walks with my dad at night, and look in the windows of people's houses. We would imagine how these people lived. I continued doing this as I grew older. I take long walks or drives, looking into the windows of people's apartments and imagining their lives. Often, I imagine myself in a different life. That's where the story of The Apartment comes from. A woman enters a stranger's apartment and imagines a different life for herself. It's a film about self-discovery, curiosity, and desire. It's a film about personal transformation." -- Melanie Travis

Current Status:

In production.

For more information and to support this film:

Filmmaker Website

Kickstarter Page

Be sure to check out our curated Kickstarter page for more information on projects we think you should check out.

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming iW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form!

• John | November 18, 2011 4:45 PMReply

An immediately intriguing idea. I felt there maybe Buñuel-esque quality. Looking forward to it!

• Lauren P | November 16, 2011 10:01 AMReply

I'm proud to say I donated to this film! The premise is incredibly intriguing, and I can't wait to see the finished product.

• Laura | November 16, 2011 12:04 AMReply

Great choice for Project of the Day! I'm happy to have the opportunity to show support through a donation on Kickstarter. Looking forward to seeing the finished film!

• Isabelle | November 15, 2011 11:13 PMReply

A simple and beautiful concept! I can't wait to see the film!

• Lance | November 15, 2011 10:38 PMReply

Fascinating premise. I've always wondered where artists get their ideas, so I enjoyed the description of the writer's motivation.

• Beverly T | November 15, 2011 10:17 PMReply

I love this film!!!

• Chih | November 15, 2011 8:30 PMReply

Simple but full of imagination. Worthy to give some money.

• Jess D. | November 15, 2011 7:04 PMReply

This is definitely a film I want to see!

• Bill J. | November 15, 2011 6:16 PMReply

Just took a look at the Kickstarter page. This film looks terrific. I made a donation and can't wait to see it when it comes out!

• Nick Liotta | November 15, 2011 5:59 PMReply

This looks very intriguing! I just donated. I can't wait to see the finished product!

• Donna Optican | November 15, 2011 5:56 PMReply

This story has a very enticing premise. I can't wait to see it!