by Indiewire
January 16, 2013 10:20 AM

Project of the Day: 'Mum' is a Gay Coming of Age Story

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

"Mum"

Tweetable Logline:

(mŭm) n. An LGBT short film about silencing insecurities, embracing oneself and the importance of human connection.

Elevator Pitch:

Told through no spoken dialogue, "MUM" tells the story of a young gay man, William, adapting to a new life in Chicago that was changed months prior (in an accident). It begins when William meets a vivacious bartender, Thomas, and feels a rejuvenating spark that forces him to make a decision: to either embrace his own insecurities or let the endearing Thomas become nothing more than a missed-connection. In short, this film is about that time in life when one must accept himself/herself in order for someone else to accept them (only done so in a less schmaltzy way).

Production Team:

Writer/Director/Editor: Alex Bohs
Producer: Jason Knade
Cinematographer: Ben McBurnett
Production Designer: Amanda Brinton

About the Production:

"As a writer, my past 365 days were a trashtastic gold mine for inspiration. I turned 21, which consequently introduced me to Chicago's gay nightlife, that led me down the slutty chapter of my life, and ended with my first real relationship: an actual coming-of-age treasure trove in the form of a script that I had allowed myself to update as I (and the characters) grew. Interestingly, "MUM" has now blossomed into something less about one night stands and more about the importance of embracing one's inner self, (warts and all) in order to let someone else in." - Alex Bohs

Current Status:

Pre-production

For more information and to support this project:

Kickstarter Page

Be sure to check out our curated Kickstarter page for more information on films we think you should support.

If you've got a project of your own you'd like Indiewire to profile in the column, fill out this form and contact us!

• Kim Deckard | January 20, 2013 4:47 PMReply

Good Luck, Alex

• Tori | January 17, 2013 7:03 PMReply

woah. that was pretty interesting. I just looked at your page and saw the youtube thingy in the info of your page. you have my interest! I think your kickstarter video was beautiful and showed the tender side of the film but that youtube teaser really showed a darker side to this film and I am loving how different of a vibe I got from both. it really makes me think there's more to this than you are letting on which is super rad. as a lesbian myself, I crave do crave more inventive LGBT cinema but after reading the comments below, I think some of the people are overlooking just how little you are telling. we need to support each other in the community guys! the proposal and prework on this project is already loads more interesting (and surprisingly honest) than half the films out there online. simmer down guys. yall are too quick to judge a gay film that mentions acceptance. never once did it say it was about coming to terms with being gay. watch that other little video on the kickstarter. obviously it's brief but it shows that something's brewin' that we haven't been told yet. excited about this one!

• Alex Bohs | January 18, 2013 5:07 PM

Tori! You nailed it. There is certainly much more to this film. Thank you for reading between the lines and even taking the time to check out our Kickstarter page! Sending all my love your way! LGBT SUPPORT! Always.
    You're the best.
    -Alex :D

• Sara | January 17, 2013 5:57 PMReply

The plot sucks. The theme of discovering someone's real self and accepting the fact of being gay is silly. We had enough watching series discussing these issues. Why don't you juz focus on the society, parents & ppl who will experience something out of the ordinary! The struggle of a boy who wants to be normal but he couldn't then may you highlight the majority of your idea "Chicka gays"

• Alex Bohs | January 18, 2013 5:02 PM

Happy Friday Sara! Just wanted to take the time to thank you for voicing your opinion. Seriously means a lot to hear actual feedback (good or bad). Since we are keep hush about one of the big elements of the film, I will say that I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when (or if) you give the final product a gander: William's struggle is not his sexuality. At all. Trust me, I completely agree we have seen that countless times.
    THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR TIME/THOUGHTS SARA!
    All the best,
    Alex 😊

• Robert | January 16, 2013 3:03 PMReply

Sorry, but this project does not sound interesting at all! In fact, it seems like yet another silly gay light romantic comedy that's short on plot and substance, but high on cute gay boys romping about. In contrast to this, I'm so glad to see some of the meatier queer films hitting the marketplace as of late - a great and very hopeful sign for LGBT cinema!!

• Alex Bohs | January 18, 2013 5:04 PM

Annie. You cracked me up. Thanks for the support and warm wishes. I love your sass. Can't wait to show you the final product!
    All the best,
    Alex Bohs

• Alex Bohs | January 18, 2013 4:53 PM

ROBERT! Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts on our project! I do appreciate you voicing your opinion. I hope you will maybe check out the final product a couple months from now so I can do my best to prove you wrong! If not, thanks for the time you've given this film already and sending all the love your way! Viva la LGBT cinema indeed!
    All the best,
    Alex :)

• Annie | January 16, 2013 7:38 PM

Sorry Robert but I have to completely disagree with you. This project seems far more intriguing than just "cute boys romping about." (Great use of the word romping though.) I may not be a gay man but I think there's a lot about this story that is relatable. I recently started my first real relationship so the concept of addressing the parts about yourself that you aren't exactly in love with is a very honest, "meaty" thing-def. not silly. There's also a level of intrigue to this film that hooked me. So many times short films give away too much and here I feel like I get the overall theme but I have no idea where the other elements come in-water/lack of dialogue/overall somber tone.

Count this quiet gal in 'Mum' crew! You have my support! I'm sure this is going to be a beautiful little film that'll relate to many of us that aren't even in the gay community!

Annie