by Indiewire
January 3, 2012 11:43 AM

Project of the Day: Profile of Whittaker Chambers, Author of Spiritual Classic 'Witness'

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

"The Whittaker Chambers Story"

Tweetable Logline:

Feature-length documentary about Whittaker Chambers: journalist, theologian, and writer of the political and spiritual classic "Witness"

Elevator Pitch:

A feature-length documentary about Whittaker Chambers, whose book Witness is a political and spiritual classic. Chambers had insight into the human condition that transcended his time. He was a member of the communist party in the 1920s but after years of secrecy revealed his past - and fingered Alger Hiss. The Chambers-Hiss case was the trial of the 20th Century; the story had espionage, revenge, thrilling escapes and even a subtext of homosexuality. More than a simple spy story from the 1950s, the Chambers story touches on humankind's quest for utopias - and the role of suffering in triggering fanaticism.

Production Team:

Producer/Writer: Mark Judge, producer/writer
Director/Editor/Cinematographer: H. Paul Moon
Executive Producer: Stana Benesova Kimball

About the Production:

The Story of Whittaker Chambers combines historical narrative with artful reenactment. Mixing interviews of scholars (and eyewitnesses to history) with dramatic tableaus in the style of film noir, it chases facts along a winding tale of espionage, leading to the emotional and spiritual heart of the man behind the story. A first documentary feature on Whittaker Chambers, the film invites audiences to ruminate on the dangers we earlier faced, the truths and fictions behind the Red Scare, and even today, the threats that Chambers foretold. The independent production is planned for release in 2012.

Current Status:

Pre-production.

For more information and to support this project:

Kickstarter Page
Filmmaker Website

Be sure to check out our curated Kickstarter page for more information on projects we think you should check out.

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming iW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form!

• Nick Shaw | February 11, 2012 11:19 PMReply

"the dangers we earlier faced"? You mean they have mysteriously vanished? Communism is alive and definitely kicking in the USofA today and is just as, if not more, dangerous!
    I'm looking forward to the release.

• owen | January 8, 2012 3:50 PMReply

"The Whittaker Chambers Story"

• James Samuel Cyrus Black | January 8, 2012 4:04 AMReply

Thank you. I wish Mr. Chambers had only changed his alliance soon enough to save the lives of the countless Russian Officers who were forcibly repatriated to their deaths under Stalin's blood stained fingers based on the advice and push of Mr. Hiss working through President Roosevelt.

• ctylerusa | January 7, 2012 2:00 PMReply

Not only will I see this movie, but I'll also buy 2 copies: one for me, and one for my local public library. It's about time Vermonters in the Sugarbush area have their horizons broadened.

• michael love | January 7, 2012 11:19 AMReply

I would certainly go see this and buy the DVD as well. Chambers had a facinating life, an amazing writer, a man who sacrificed a great deal for telling the truth.

• Horace Ward | January 7, 2012 5:20 AMReply

I definitely want to see this, and I will recommend it to friends and family!

• linda | January 6, 2012 6:19 PMReply

I am looking forward to this!

• Bill | January 6, 2012 5:53 PMReply

You can vote now to make this Project of the Week: http://www.indiewire.com/article/vote-for-project-of-the-week-whittaker-chambers-mulligan-alice-walker-el-pastor

• Bill | January 6, 2012 7:20 PM

Or just use:

• Melvin | January 6, 2012 2:55 PMReply

Can't wait to see this. I've always wanted to know more about Chambers.

• Pendit1 | January 6, 2012 1:34 PMReply

Great story! Can't wait to see it!

• Irene | January 6, 2012 12:50 PMReply

I think we need to see the movie, that reflex on real, not ideologically distorted history, that dominates in academia hence in Hollywood. Besides, I can imagine how interesting it could be done: treason and dirty politic pave a road to human tragedy... I certainly will take my family to a movie theater (where I haven't been err... quit some time) to watch this kind of movie.

• GJP | January 6, 2012 11:27 AMReply

This could be a fantastic documentary. I look forward to buying it.

• Mark | January 6, 2012 11:23 AMReply

There is not a more compelling story than that of an individual who completely changes the trajectory of their life and shares that trans-formative journey with the rest of us. I would love to see a film about Chamber's story and the personal and political lesson's that it holds...

• John | January 6, 2012 8:37 AMReply

Whittaker Chambers was a great writer and a fascinating character whose life story has tremendous drama and sufficient twists and turns - all tied to important events in both American and world history - to make for a great documentary. This one should be made.

• James | January 5, 2012 4:28 PMReply

Looks awesome!

• Dan | January 5, 2012 3:29 PMReply

Is it my imagination or does Glenn Beck have an eerie resemblance to Chambers? He could be the lead! I read Witness years ago and have deep admiration for what WC went through to fight for the truth. However, it shook me to the core when WC believed that he was now on the losing side. Maybe he was right. Can't wait for the movie before it is suppressed by our commie friends in charge.

• Blake | January 5, 2012 2:56 PMReply

This I would watch!

• Logan | January 4, 2012 2:40 PMReply

Based on Mark Judge's excellent reputation and the film's fascinating subject matter, I'm convinced this will make a fantastic and widely successful production. I'd definitely watch it!

• GG84mom | January 3, 2012 7:21 PMReply

I can't wait...

• Richard | January 3, 2012 6:47 PMReply

This is the documentary that needs to be made. It is the story of one man hurling himself against the spirit of the age in defense of Western Civilization's foundational truths. I know that Judge and Moon are the team to make this an excellent film.

• Ellen | January 3, 2012 3:58 PMReply

Yes, I'd definitely see this film.

• Rhonda | January 3, 2012 2:27 PMReply

This is an important story. I've watched Mark Judge's videos on YouTube for several years, so I know he would do a good job on this movie.

• Judith | January 5, 2012 11:25 PM

I'd love to see this film!