by Indiewire
September 30, 2013 6:10 PM

Project of the Day: Roller Skating Across America in 'United Skates'

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

"United Skates"

Tweetable Logline:

In the darkest hours of the night, while most of us lay sleeping, there's a movement taking place in the shadows of our nation.

Elevator Pitch:

All across the nation from small country towns to big metropolitan cities, a collective of thousands are gathering-- completely off the radar.

United Skates documents the underground world of roller skating in America from Chicago, New York, Atlanta, Baltimore to LA, and more. This isn't derby or disco but a fusion of hip-hop, breaking, animating and a new style all its own.

Production Team:

Director - Dyana Winkler

Producer - Tina Brown (Dear Mandela)

DP - Matt Peterson (Multi-Emmy Award Winning cinematographer in sports tv)

Katie Flint - Editor

About the Production:

"We started by making a short film on the Central Park Dance Skaters, loving the energy and joy they illicited but thinking they were the last of the roller skating era-- But boy were we wrong. Roller skating hadn't died at all. It had just moved underground! The ten thousand strong community opened their arms giving us unprecedented access. We were taken into this thriving skate world that blew our minds. We knew this was the story that had to be told." -- Dyanna Winkler

Current Status:

In production.

For more information and to support this project:

Film Website
Kickstarter Page

Be sure to check out our curated Kickstarter page for more information on projects we think you should check out.

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming iW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form!

• John B. | October 31, 2013 9:28 PMReply

Sorry about the MUTIPLE posts. I see others have the problem too. Indiewire - you NEED to fix up the web page. When you click the Submit button, there is no indication that anything happened. Sheesh, Microsoft fixed that long ago, not mention all the other companies. I check to see if maybe it did work - is my comment showing - no - try again - and again....FIX IT!

• John B. | October 31, 2013 1:11 PMReply

Oops, Dyana, that's "elicited" not "illicited" - there ain't no such word as "illicited", but "illicit" means "forbidden, illegal." Hmm...

• John B. | October 31, 2013 1:11 PMReply

OW OWWWWWWW!

• Marcia Helligar Heard | October 29, 2013 1:47 PMReply

OW OWWWWWWW!

• Marcia Helligar Heard | October 29, 2013 1:47 PMReply

OW OWWWWWWW!

• Mary Smith | October 29, 2013 11:55 AMReply

A wonderful story, fabulously done!

• Mary Smith | October 29, 2013 11:35 AMReply

A wonderful story, fabulously done!

• Mary Smith | October 29, 2013 11:35 AMReply

A wonderful story, fabulously done!

• shonda young | October 28, 2013 9:15 PMReply

Excellent Excellent Excellent Excellent....So is The producer and the Director and EVERYONE that was involved in this product....

• shonda young | October 28, 2013 9:15 PMReply

Excellent Excellent Excellent Excellent....So is The producer and the Director and EVERYONE thats was involved in this product....

• shonda young | October 28, 2013 9:14 PMReply

• shonda young | October 28, 2013 9:14 PMReply

• shonda young | October 28, 2013 9:14 PMReply

• shonda young | October 28, 2013 9:12 PMReply

• shonda young | October 28, 2013 9:12 PMReply

• Jennifer Rodes | October 28, 2013 7:43 PMReply

I can't wait for production!

• Jennifer Rodes | October 28, 2013 7:39 PMReply

I can't wait for production!

• Jennifer Rodes | October 28, 2013 7:39 PMReply

I can't wait for production!

• Jennifer Rodes | October 28, 2013 7:36 PMReply

I can't wait for production!

• October | October 28, 2013 7:27 PMReply

Our story! This is epic... Luv Skating and the community

• October | October 28, 2013 7:27 PMReply

Our story! This is epic... Luv Skating and the community

• Linda Jo | October 11, 2013 7:56 PMReply

A celebration of spirit and possibilities!

• Lowell Strombeck | October 7, 2013 4:33 PMReply

"Skates" was done beautifully and with a lot of creativity!

• Julia Gnegel | October 7, 2013 11:10 AMReply

United Skates has my vote!!

• Pam | October 7, 2013 1:37 AMReply

Roller skating has evolved into what it is today the evolution of it makes you look forward to seeing what's next because I intend on being a part of it. I was introduced to skating by my father when I was about 8 years old. I got my first pair of skates for Christmas they were the adjustable metal kind worn attached to your shoes. I can still hear the metal sound of them rolling over the concrete. I remember those skates use to fall off my feet all the time while I skated down it was hilarious. My father began taking the family skating I always invited a few of the kids from our neighborhood to go along with us. We all appeared to be having a good time skating to live origin music and doing the hooky -poky in the middle of the floor. Then, one day, some of the older skaters asked the rink owners if we could have an R and B skate night. Their request was granted skating was on and popping the atmosphere changed the rink was packed with skillful skates who came from everywhere. This style of skating open up a new world of skating and the rink was packed every Saturday night. Those were the days! Well, the owners of the rink closed it's doors not soon after needless to say it was the end of skating for a lot of us. As I got older and had children skating had gotten further away from me until one day my children insisted that I take them skating at a neighborhood school gym, so I did. I got the kids settled with their skates then I would sit on the belchers to watch them but this didn't last to long. One of the seasoned skaters invited me out on the floor with them. I asked if they would teach me how to skate like them and that night I learned how to skate backwards along with a few other moves. That was the night my love for skating was reborn it ignited a creativity in me that I can't describe since then I've been skating for over twenty years. That's why the Skating Documentary gets my Vote!

Roll Bounce!

• Lisa Aquino | October 6, 2013 11:30 PMReply

I vote United Skates!!

• mommaOG | October 6, 2013 10:49 PMReply

for sure!

• Cjames | October 6, 2013 10:19 PMReply

you got my vote

• Geoff | October 6, 2013 8:41 PMReply

A sure winner!

• Lea Price | October 6, 2013 8:29 PMReply

fantastic to have such an inspirational film to bring hope

• Marissa Helligar | October 6, 2013 8:17 PMReply

My vote is for United Skate!

• DucorpsToo | October 6, 2013 7:59 PMReply

"Skates" get my vote

• Jbskaterny | October 6, 2013 6:57 PMReply

Yeah skaters!!jbsmilin

• Susan Gailey | October 6, 2013 4:38 PMReply

Absosultly! Skates!!!!!!

• Cynthia | October 6, 2013 3:25 PMReply

The best!!!!

• linda knowlton | October 5, 2013 1:21 PMReply

United Skates gets my vote! Can't wait to see this film!

• kriss slate | October 4, 2013 10:25 PMReply

voting for United Skates for sure.

• Michele Leebody | October 4, 2013 8:13 PMReply

I would love to see this film. I really hope it gets
    Funded.

• United Skates AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME | October 4, 2013 3:08 PMReply

They are the best at what they do. They have lived, breathed, & Skated as Skate Lovers Do.
    To capture the real action of what a skater does is more than just being behind the camera. You have to be in it and go beyond the lense. I know they will be blessed with all the financial help they need. Skating is so healing to our souls. Thank You Girls For A Wonderful Roller Skating Project That Will Be A Great Documentray For Every Roller Skater To Be Proud Of. PLEASE CONTINUE TO GIVE GIVE GIVE. Endless Blessings
    Nay Blessings

• Marilyn Kerner | October 2, 2013 6:26 PMReply

What a vital and wholesome endeavor this is. It's a pleasure to know something so positive is taking shape in our cities. Looking forward to viewing the finished documentary.

• Kimo | October 2, 2013 6:03 PMReply

I think this artistic movement is where Jazz and Hip-Hop were when they were in Harlem and mainstream America had no clue. This film will bring in the oxygen these artists need to make yet another amazing contribution to America. Very worthy of support! They could lose it all if they don't hit their goal of only $50k. Let's help these talented folks get this film made.

• Carmen Pelaez | October 2, 2013 5:59 PMReply

LOVE IT! I have never seen skating like this--thanks for featuring it!

• C. Young | October 2, 2013 5:54 PMReply

Please Please Please make this film.. Ive been skating since age 9 in the DC/MD area. Home of Snap City.... ol school Kaloramma, Crystals Skate Palace, Shake n Bake and Orchard up in Bmore.
    There s only a handful of videos and pics floating around and these are taken by US, circulated by US.. so to Outsiders(non skaters) we still get that look everytime someone ask,,"oh hey so what do you do for Fun"???
    Skate??? People Still ........................Rollerskate??!?!?!
    THis film is essential to our Sport!

• D.J. OneWay | October 2, 2013 5:27 PMReply

I must say that I personaly appreciate what the writers, producers, skaters and everyone involved with this project is doing to make this all possible. This project will be a powerful vessel in making our children/the next generation of skaters aware that this wonderful form of exercise, comrodery, unity and entertainment exist.

• Anne J | October 2, 2013 5:26 PMReply

Wow, so interesting--like the director said above, I too have always been intrigued by the Dance Skaters in Central Park, but I thought they were a rare breed. Would love to learn more about the culture across the country. The skaters featured in the trailer are amazing--would love to see more!

• Kelly R | October 2, 2013 4:54 PMReply

This documentary is an amazing work in process. I love the trailer and bio video of the film makers and what their beautiful abilities and what their past projects have been. Please support United Skates and donate to their kickstarter campaign. Skating is a beautiful culture, that until now hasn't been discovered through film.

• Hustlin G-Skatediz | October 2, 2013 4:54 PMReply

Yo- keep it comin ladies. This is what it is! Skate culture!

• Danielle R. | October 2, 2013 3:57 PMReply

This looks like an incredible exposure of a beautiful and dynamic reality that is unbeknownst to the rest of the world =me/us! From what I have seen these skaters have left me in shock with their talent and pride! Go United Skates!

• Sk8Book | October 2, 2013 10:15 AMReply

The trailer gives a fantastic glimpse into the underground roller skating culture and we are so looking forward to the final cut. I'm certain that after people see this documentary if they are not skaters they will become one shortly there after, and if you a skater then your headed straight to the rink once it goes off!!!!! Sk8Book......It's a Culture

• Travis J | October 2, 2013 10:02 AMReply

The trailer for the United Skates Doc is awesome. It provides the viewers that are not familiar with the underground world of roller skating a glimpse of how tightly knitted and dedicated to the craft we are. It is truly a needed film and story that should be told from the vantage point of the skaters and not the main stream "Skate Movies." I would love to see this film one it is complete.

• Spice | October 2, 2013 7:32 AMReply

I can't wait until the "United Skates" documentary is complete. I'm so excited that someone is taking an interest in our underground world of Style Skating.