by Indiewire
October 22, 2013 9:31 AM

Project of the Day: Rush Limbaugh, What Have You Done to My Dad?

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

"The Brainwashing of My Dad"

Tweetable Logline:

The truth behind the right-wing media machine that changed a father - and the nation.

Elevator Pitch:

As a filmmaker explores the transformation of her father from a non-political life-long Democrat to a radicalized Right-Wing fanatic, she discovers that this is a widespread phenomenon, especially among older white men. She uncovers the forces behind the media that changed him completely: a plan by Roger Ailes under Nixon to create a media run by the GOP, The Powell Memo urging business leaders to influence institutions of public opinion and the dismantling of the Fairness Doctrine, all of which would ultimately result in a media which would misinform millions, divide families and even the country itself.

Production Team:

Jen Senko - Director
Kala Mandrake - Editor
Melodie Bryant - Co-Writer
Fiore DeRosa - Researcher and co-producer
Erika Hampson - Producer

About the Production:

"I noticed radical changes in my dad after a move to a place where he suddenly had a long commute to work and started listening to talk radio. He changed from a person who loved everyone, had no prejudices and was a Democrat. It started with Bob Grant, then he graduated to Rush Limbaugh and completed his media diet eventually with FOX News. He became always at odds with his family and tried to convert everyone and anyone he knew or met to his new views. It was as if he belonged to a cult. This was my motivation." -- Jen Senko

Current Status:

Pre-production.

For more information and to support this project:

Kickstarter Page

Be sure to check out our curated Kickstarter page for more information on projects we think you should check out.

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming iW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form!

• Karen Socolow | October 27, 2013 7:45 PMReply

I want to see this and want it to be seen because these right wing maniacs are saturating the airwaves with toxicity non stop and it seems to invade like a pathogen. A friend of mine, normally a logical, sensible person also started for some reason listening to this garbage while driving and actually began casually mentioning that some of it was beginning to make sense to her! I was absolutely appalled.

• Karen Socolow | October 27, 2013 7:45 PMReply

• Karen Socolow | October 27, 2013 7:45 PMReply

• Karen Socolow | October 27, 2013 7:45 PMReply

• Karen Socolow | October 27, 2013 7:44 PMReply

• Karen Socolow | October 27, 2013 7:44 PMReply

• Karen Socolow | October 27, 2013 7:44 PMReply

• Karen Socolow | October 27, 2013 7:44 PMReply

• Karen Socolow | October 27, 2013 7:44 PMReply

• Karen Socolow | October 27, 2013 7:44 PMReply

• Karen Socolow | October 27, 2013 7:44 PMReply

• Karen Socolow | October 27, 2013 7:44 PMReply

• Karen Socolow | October 27, 2013 7:44 PMReply

• Karen Socolow | October 27, 2013 7:44 PMReply

• Andrew | October 26, 2013 4:31 PMReply

Sorry for the double post. I clicked submit twice because it didn't show up the first time the way it does on most comment threads. It only showed up after refreshing the page.

• Andrew | October 26, 2013 4:29 PMReply

What a fantastic idea for a film! I meet these brainwashed dittoheads all the time. Limbaugh's evil influence really is literally destroying our country. (For example, the gov shutdown and the $24 billion it cost us never would have happened w/o Limbaugh and his fellow right-wing talk radio propagandists) And the sane among us need to start fighting back and debunking Limbaugh's lies every chance we get.

• Andrew | October 26, 2013 4:29 PMReply

• Elizabeth | October 22, 2013 10:58 PMReply

Great project! Good luck. I can't wait to see the film.

• Ted | October 22, 2013 10:35 AMReply

The filmmaker sound like a moron. Right off, what exactly is a "non-political, life-long Democrat"? I suppose what the filmmaker really means is my father was a life-long Democrat who didn't irritate me about politics until he became a Republican.

Frankly though, I'm bored of these "exposes" of the Republican parties grand conspiracies that envision Roger Ailes as some Dr. Mabuse. I don't give the GOP that much credit. Also, what politically group doesn't use "institutions" to influence public opinion? It's this just politics?