by Indiewire
April 10, 2012 10:10 AM

Project of the Day: The Gray-Haired Alley-Oop in 'Granny's Got Game'

"Granny's Got Game"
Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

"Granny's Got Game"

Tweetable Logline:

A documentary about a senior women's basketball team battling physical limitations and social stigma to play for a national championship.

Elevator Pitch:

Granny's Got Game is a documentary film about a senior women's basketball team in North Carolina. These seven fiercely competitive women were pioneers of the game in the 1950s. They are now in their seventies and have been winning games together for almost two decades in senior games tournaments across the country. As teammates and friends, the women support each other on and off the court through the difficulties that accompany aging, such as breast cancer and widowhood. The film follows them for a yearlong season culminating in a nearly disastrous trip to the National Senior Games Championship in Texas.

Production Team:

Producer/Director/Cinematographer - Angela Gorsica Alford

About the Production:

"I was lucky enough to have a successful basketball career playing for USA Basketball and Vanderbilt University in the 1990s. With my glory days long gone, I thought I was finished playing basketball. That changed when I met this team at the local YMCA. The women helped me to remember how much I loved to play and how much I enjoyed being part of a team. I have spent the last year and half with these women, documenting their journeys, and even doing a little coaching. The experience has changed me and I hope the film will inspire you." - Angela Alford

Current Status:

Post-production.

For more information and to support this project:

Indiegogo Page

Granny's Got Game Promo Trailer from Angela Alford on Vimeo.

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming IW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form!

• Little Big Eagle | April 16, 2012 8:54 AMReply

What a GREAT job Angela!!! Those Young Ladies are Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Name JohnDeeming | April 16, 2012 12:44 AMReply

Comment I feel honored to have been able to see the Grannies play live!
    And that is living to the full!! Fantastic!

• Jill Healey | April 15, 2012 9:13 PMReply

Great message for our generation! We can stay active and enjoy our friends into our 80s and 90s God willing. I hope I'm enjoying women's tennis with my friends for many years to come! Can't wait to see the full movie!

• Tina Wall | April 15, 2012 7:37 PMReply

What a touching story! I look forward to the film...I know I will be inspired.

• Mary Moody | April 15, 2012 7:04 PMReply

they have my vote

• Robin Smith | April 15, 2012 6:08 PMReply

Wow. I loved that clip and I hope to see the whole movie. Go Angela!

• Rita Perron | April 13, 2012 4:44 PMReply

Great film! Renews the spirit and hope.

• Kristie Broom | April 13, 2012 11:53 AMReply

GREAT! This one has my vote! Inspiring......

• John Long | April 12, 2012 1:30 PMReply

What an inspiring story and a great motivator for all!

• Mark | April 11, 2012 10:41 PMReply

Those gals are an inspiration.

• Christy Hayes | April 11, 2012 7:29 PMReply

Story sounds wonderful. Can't wait to see the film!

• Jay McEniry | April 11, 2012 4:27 PMReply

Granny's Got Game is a wonderful and inspiring story. I look forward to seeing the final product!

• Judy Barton | April 11, 2012 1:52 PMReply

These are a really great group of women all over 75 years old who believe that "we don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing'

• Burt Augst | April 11, 2012 11:20 AMReply

I loved this project from the moment I first learned about it a few weeks ago. I look forward to receiving the completed film. Not only is it an inspiration to women and girls, it is an inspiration to old fat guys like me.

• Keith Kula | April 11, 2012 10:45 AMReply

I love this project and think it is an eye-opening documentary! The subject shows no matter what your age, you just have to keep living....and playing!

• Lina | April 11, 2012 10:39 AMReply

I love that these ladies have kept playing their favorite game. Good luck to all of them.

• Sally Thompson | April 11, 2012 10:29 AMReply

What a fantastic story. Am anxious to see the whole picture. I am in my mid-70's and played in high school gym class. Never was very good, but thoroughly enjoy the game. I'm delighted these women are still playing - and switched from half-court to full-court. Good for them, and good for you, Angela, for taking on this project. Please tell the team how much they are admired and give them my best wishes for a very successful season.

• Roberta Leone | April 11, 2012 9:45 AMReply

I am a seventy-seven year old senior basketball player. Playing basketball has brought so much joy to me. People would be amazed to see how we can move around I can't wait to see the picture.

• Julie Trusock | April 11, 2012 9:32 AMReply

What a great message in this film for young girls and women of all ages! Can't wait to see the finished product!

• Mary Agnes | April 11, 2012 8:46 AMReply

As a senior citizen, I would say this film erases the stigma of aging. Women of all ages need to see that there is a great life to be had after retirement - keep fit! Look forward to the finished product.

• Laura Alford | April 11, 2012 8:07 AMReply

I love the logline! Will Pass the word about this inspiring film.

• Cindy | April 10, 2012 11:18 PMReply

Fantastic group of women and fantastic story to tell. Female athletes of all ages should hear that you're never to old to stop playing, whatever life may throw at you!!!

• Carol | April 10, 2012 10:14 PMReply

Sounds like a great story. I would definitely see!

• Kate Mounteer | April 10, 2012 10:01 PMReply

Can't wait to see this film. It will speak to thousands of women and girls across America - And maybe the world!