by Indiewire
February 21, 2012 10:01 AM

Project of the Day: "The Sisterhood of Night"

The Sisterhood of Night

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

"The Sisterhood of Night"

Tweetable Logline:

Salem Witch Trials in the Facebook age. A teen girl exposes a secret network called The Sisterhood of Night. You decide: who is really guilty?

Elevator Pitch:

Sisterhood is a modern version of the Salem witch trials, adapted from a short story by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Steven Millhauser (Martin Dressler, "Eisenheim the Illusionist"). The heart of the story is about how teens connect with each other through art, friendship, and the power of secrets. We also promise to do what every movie should—entertain you and take you for a ride. Sisterhood is a provocative and inspiring story that builds a network of creativity for teens to share ideas and visions. You can be one of them!

Production Team:

DIRECTOR: Caryn Waechter
Waechter is a main contributor to Ridley Scott and Kevin Macdonald’s Youtube documentary "Life in a Day."

SCREENWRITER: Marilyn Fu
Marilyn Fu received the William Goldman Screenwriting Fellowship from Columbia University in 2000. In 2007, she was honored with the Tribeca Film Festival's Creative Promise Award in Screenwriting for The Sisterhood of Night.

PRODUCER: Lydia Dean Pilcher (Cine Mosaic)
Other credits include: "You Don’t Know Jack," "Amelia," "The Darjeeling Limited" and "The Namesake"

PRODUCER: Elizabeth Cuthrell & EXEC PRODUCER David Urrutia (Evenstar Films)
Other credits include: "Meek’s Cutoff" and "Jesus’ Son"

About the Production:

The hope is always that a film will find its audience when it hits the theaters, but there's no sure way to tell. Instead of leaving that to chance, we're finding our audience before we even shoot and involving them in the creation of the film through a community-based teen art contest called "Wanna Know a Secret?" (http://www.secretsisterhoodcontest.com/). We're also developing a Sisterhood book app that keeps building on this creative network.

Current Status:

We're raising funds for our upcoming shoot.

For more information and to support this project:

Official Website

Kickstarter

• juan | March 16, 2013 12:22 PMReply

yes, I would like to see soom "the sisterhood of night"

• Amala | March 13, 2013 12:02 AMReply

Great concept. Great story. Great talent. What's not to love?

• Lauren | March 1, 2012 4:10 PMReply

This movie really will highlight real life problems that teenagers--especially girl teenagers--face today, such as vicious rumors, love lost, and the secret ties of friendship and confidence

• mrobin | March 1, 2012 2:33 PMReply

Love the concept and new take... there are some incredibly talented, and truly creative women working on this film: very exciting. Support, support, support! I really want to see this movie!

• Amala | February 29, 2012 2:22 PMReply

Not only timely but timeless with all the ingredients for success: intrigue, true to life, romance, edge. Looking forward to cueing up for my tic to see it!

• stella | February 29, 2012 12:43 PMReply

I cannot wait to see it.

• Lina Dorado | February 29, 2012 10:53 AMReply

I want to know a secret, I'm in.

• randy elia | February 27, 2012 9:00 AMReply

go sistah's.
    let's put some wings on this thing.

• Andrew | February 25, 2012 11:27 AMReply

I'm dying to see it! Can't wait for this talented team to deliver an awesome movie.

• Frank R. | February 23, 2012 10:33 AMReply

Great team..great talent..this project is gaining steam as the dream becomes a reality.

• Molly | February 23, 2012 1:11 AMReply

Such a good idea. I would really like to see this developed further - there are so many teen stories (most of which we love) but so few that also have the potential for such a deep and relevant connection to a historical lesson we are still apparently trying to learn (Salem). Hope to see more!

• Mieke V. | February 22, 2012 9:11 PMReply

Yeah! I want to see it! Looks so exciting to me.

• Erik S | February 22, 2012 7:13 PMReply

Very much looking forward to this project. I had the opportunity to read an early draft of the script, and I agree with JT, it is one of the best I've read as well. Looking forward to seeing this on the big screen!

• JT | February 22, 2012 4:04 PMReply

Full disclosure:This is one of the best scripts I've ever read. So, yes, I want to see this film get made!

• Dan | February 22, 2012 3:31 PMReply

This is so exciting. I've been watching this project for a while... it's an amazing story with an incredible team behind it. And I just noticed that John Logan (the Oscar-nominated screenwriter of HUGO) is a contributor to their Kickstarter campaign!