by Indiewire
February 16, 2012 9:30 AM

Project of the Day: 'The Wars of Other Men'

"The Wars of Other Men"

Here's your daily dose of an indie film in progress; at the end of the week, you'll have the chance to vote for your favorite.

In the meantime: Is this a movie you’d want to see? Tell us in the comments.

The Wars of Other Men

Tweetable Logline:

A solider fighting for an army near defeat in an age of zeppelin gunships and insidious chemical war must choose between duty and humanity

Elevator Pitch:

Set in an alternate 1920s-era world at war, “The Wars of Other Men” is story of a nameless Lieutenant fighting for an army bearing defeat. The enemy dominates the battlefield with their new chemical super weapon - “the Fog.” When his superiors discover the source of the Fog, the Lieutenant must lead a squad through the war-torn city to capture its creator… at a terrible cost to soldier and civilian. With the lives of his men and the fate of the war on the line the Lieutenant must choose — will he be a good soldier or a good man?

Production Team:

Writer/Director: Mike Zawacki
Producer: Connie Mangilin
Producer: Michael Einheuser
Director of Photography: Keith Jefferies
Co-Writer: Nancy Nall Derringer

About the Production:

"Filmed in Detroit with next to no budget and a gifted, passionate, dedicated volunteer crew “The Wars of Other Men” has set out to take indie guerilla film making to the bleeding edge of what’s possible – an immersive alternate earth steampunk/dieselpunk period war film set in a city torn apart by war. With lush diselpunk and steampunk inspired production design, jaw dropping locations, high grade visual effect elements, and (most importantly!) a solid story built around compelling characters, “The Wars of Other Men” was conceived, planned, and executed to exist far outside the normal limits of indie film making." -Mike Zawacki

Current Status:

Film is in post production, six visual effects shots from completion

For more information and to support this project:

Film Website
Kickstarter Page

If you have an in-the-works project and you'd like to be profiled in an upcoming IW Project of the Day column, submit yourself by filling out this form!

• Glenn McGee | March 10, 2012 12:35 AMReply

Impressive trailer that makes me wish it was a full length feature. Kudos to Mr. Zawacki that has created a period looking piece with a unique sci-fi style that reminds me of Terry Gilliam.

• Victor Emert | March 7, 2012 12:27 AMReply

Would love to see the whole thing. Excellent trailer and production values.

• Sarah | March 4, 2012 12:41 PMReply

I would love to see this movie! The visuals, real and CGI, are stunning! In a short time you really see the humanity of the characters and the pressures of compliance.

• W. S. Taylor III | March 4, 2012 9:32 AMReply

Outstanding work!!

• Tom and Debbie Zawacki | March 3, 2012 7:07 AMReply

Cool flick----this Mike Zawacki is brilliant.

• Trev Copeland | March 3, 2012 5:26 AMReply

Sweeeeet!

• Bill Zawacki | March 2, 2012 9:08 PMReply

Great clip Mike - Best I've seen since "Cuffed To Death"!

• Wendy Veck | March 2, 2012 11:51 AMReply

Nice one Mike - got my vote x

• Marc-Antoine | March 2, 2012 11:38 AMReply

It looks awesome, congratulations!

• Kathy Neufeld Dunnd | March 2, 2012 11:35 AMReply

This one's got my vote.

• Jerry Jarvis | March 2, 2012 11:06 AMReply

This looks fantastic! I can't wait to see this on the big screen! This absolutely gets a vote from me!

• Snippy | March 2, 2012 10:55 AMReply

Yes! One vote from me.

• Patty Giorgio | March 2, 2012 10:00 AMReply

I definitely vote for this one.

• Cindy Albert | March 2, 2012 9:06 AMReply

I vote for this one:)

• Mike Zawacki | March 2, 2012 1:42 AMReply

Thanks all! If you haven't already, please check out this link to vote for us in the Project of the Month contest!

• James Lewis | March 2, 2012 1:18 AMReply

This looks great its right up my alley of fun. I have had the pleasure of working with Mike and several others involved and can say I look forward to seeing this new vision from a very creative and talented group of individuals. Great Work Everyone!!!
    Cheers
    James Lewis

• K | March 1, 2012 11:01 PMReply

Soooo intrigued by this!

• Cynthia Neale | March 1, 2012 2:38 PMReply

Quality clip and it looks to be a riveting war movie!

• Bryan Smylie | March 1, 2012 2:30 PMReply

Can't wait to see it, Mike!

• Laura Messer | March 1, 2012 2:08 PMReply

This looks fantastic! Mike is brilliant and talented and I cannot wait to see this!

• Sean Downie | March 1, 2012 1:01 PMReply

I can't wait to see this movie! It is going to be amazing.

• Cate Caldwell | February 18, 2012 3:56 PMReply

Yes, actually, I would be interested in this. And I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it.

• Diane | February 17, 2012 11:50 AMReply

Definitely want to see this film...

• Irene Rouster | February 16, 2012 9:07 PMReply

Absolutely, can't wait to see it - the trailer looks awesome!

• Fernando Diaz | February 16, 2012 8:29 PMReply

I want to see this movie. I will come out and support it.

• Brak Little | February 16, 2012 8:26 PMReply

Very well done. Loved the visuals.

• Chester Kopec | February 16, 2012 5:02 PMReply

Keeps you on the edge of your seat!

• Shannon Gibney | February 16, 2012 4:55 PMReply

Can't wait to see this! When's it coming to Indie Heaven (The Twin Cities)??

• Mike | February 16, 2012 2:49 PMReply

Also worth noting - our Kickstarter is complete (217% funded - thanks everyone!). So we don't want your money. Just your sweet, sweet love.

• Liano | February 16, 2012 2:11 PMReply

This film is awesome! Can't wait to see the final cut with all the visual effects.

Fight the Fog!